Rising NeXTStation prices

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
robespierre

Re: Rising NeXTStation prices

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am

I purchased an Indy in working condition for $50 just a month ago. So from my perspective, prices haven't increased: I would not have paid more for any Indy. Years ago, I paid over $1500 for an Indigo2. Would I pay that much for one today? I think you are dreaming.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am

robespierre wrote:I purchased an Indy in working condition for $50 just a month ago

Frankly, who cares? I paid 150 euro for my Indy, R5K@180Mhz/256MB of ram/8GB hd, plus 150 euro in options like kebyboard, mouse and G130, plus 60 euro for an external CDROM, SCSI cable and SCSI box.

So what? it was also very difficult to find machines in the area where I lived.

The whole was sold on ebay for 210 euro. Look at the ratio, how much money got trashed.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

thunderbird32

Unread postby thunderbird32 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:27 am

Y888099 wrote: Here you look as annoying as the petulant dude of this forum who only writes me PM repeating two thousand times in the same period on HOW GOOD he was in finding a MaxImpact gfx for less than 25 USD whereas e.g. Ian sells it at 900 euro.

That's not the best comparison, TBH. Places like Ian's and Mashek Systems (Black Hole as well, for that matter) are always going to be more expensive than places like, for example, Nekochan's marketplace. You usually get some kind of warranty, and you can be more confident that the part/system will be complete and in good shape. Sometimes even with a warranty in place.
Digital Personal Workstation 500au
HP Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3)
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4)
Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6)

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Y888099 wrote:HOW GOOD he was in finding a MaxImpact gfx for less than 25 USD whereas e.g. Ian sells it at 900 euro.

That was ~ 20 years ago, and it was hidden in an as-is Indigo2. I didn't even know what Impact was at the time. Someone had a lucky day and that someone happened to be me.
What Ian charges for it in 2017 is his business and completely unrelated.

Y888099 wrote:So, since *HE* is continuously used to them costing a couple of bottle of wine (not a good bottle of wine)

I don't think I ever bought an SGI for a bottle of wine. I gave away a bunch of SGI hardware to someone for a bottle of wine once. Last month I gave away 18kg of SGI manuals for a box of candy. My boys loved it, I reclaimed the space. Everybody happy.

Y888099 wrote:he also continuously assumes that I MUST sell him things for the same low-price although my answer is always the same: do you want my Impact?

I don't want your Impact. I never told you how you MUST price whatever you want to sell.

This thread is about historic prices vs. prices today. It's not my fault they were cheaper back then. If you want to buy an SGI in 2017 you have to pay today's prices; if you want to sell one you can ask today's prices as well. I'm not buying any more SGIs so I don't need to worry about it.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

thunderbird32 wrote:more expensive than places like, for example, Nekochan's marketplace

The point is that users on Nekochan marketplace come here with a distorted concept in their mind: things must be free, cheap, and blablabla, and it's always the same discussion in loop :roll: :roll: :roll:

Y888099 wrote:I don't want your Impact

Who has ever wrote YOU want my Impact? Since I have a post in the WTS, there are fellows in this forum who continuously write me PMs asking to buy my Impact for a bottle of wine, and this happens since *YOU* (and *YOUr* friends) encourage people that low-price assumptions is the MUST-be-done rule here. If YOU can sell an impact for 25 euro, don't write in this forum that everybody MUST do the same: it costed me a lot of money, a lot of effort, and I also provide a lot of replacement parts and options, with a sort of warranty "money back if a failure is discovered within 90 days", therefore, rather than selling it for 50 euro ( I got this kind of offers in my PMs ), I will for sure destroy throwing it into the hydraulic press.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Y888099 wrote:If YOU can sell an impact for 25 euro, don't write in this forum that everybody MUST do the same

If people are using my good fortune many many years ago to lowball you, well, that's not my intention but really you should be able to get over that.

My anecdote was about buying a MaxImpact card set. I cannot sell an Impact (whatever that is) for 25EUR because I don't have one surplus.

But wait, I have a pair of Onyx2's for sale!
4x 300MHz, 4GB RAM, IR2E graphics and a PCI shoehorn with gig ethernet. They are "rackmount desksides" and that's why they can go for as little as 250EUR a piece.
People routinely ask twice that if they have some plastics and wheels on them so I guess I'm lowballing myself now, huh?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Y888099 wrote:JJ, sometimes I find you very irritating, as someone uses to be in bazaar. You and he, you both miss that *YOU* are used to them costing, and *YOU* is not the measure of the universe!

Here you look as annoying as the petulant dude of this forum who only writes me PM repeating two thousand times in the same period on HOW GOOD he was in finding a MaxImpact gfx for less than 25 USD whereas e.g. Ian sells it at 900 euro.

Why am I'm suddenly reminded of that Karr quote: Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I think the consistent misunderstandings here arise because of the concept of price vs. value. Anything can have a price, set based on some view of value, which is always subjective. And in many areas of business and life, pricing is somewhat negotiable as a result of this - six great intellectual minds once covered this topic quite better than I could ever hope to:

I think you completely miss the point of JJ's and most similar postings. I recall some of the same posts you refer to, and its nothing more than sharing news a lucky find, as many here do. There is even a fairly active thread about recent purchases, and a hinv section where people can share news of new finds, or upgrades. JJ (and others) know the fair market value of what they have found, and know how lucky they were to get it at that price. In many cases that is precisely why they are posting. They are certainly not posting to decree that everybody should pay that forevermore. All pretty inoffensive stuff to most. Few would view it as unwanted information that will harm the economics of some theoretical price they had set. Rather than get too fixated about what information people have, just hear the offers, and if you are not happy, either negotiate in good faith, or recognise there is no point in doing so, say "no", and move on.

And I will say about JJ specifically that he tends to pass the stuff he is finished with on to others here in a very fair deal as well, and possibly in better condition than he got it. His good fortune can be someone else's good fortune some day. I have two Alpha's and spares here that attest to that.

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 pm

I miss hamei's posts.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:14 am

kramlq wrote:I think the consistent misunderstandings here arise because of the concept of price vs. value

Why should I feel obliged? I said "no" 2112198798791238127 times, and again I have a PM: with a bonus of +10 euro, for a total of 60 euro :lol:

Someone here is very crazy! Since he insists again and again, I am forced to change my WantToSell into WantToSwap, with the idea of swapping myImpact for a HP-C3750 (money difference might be discussed)

Oh, even with the bonus +10 euro I still neither can buy this board to implement my own SOC, lol :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”