Too many beers? IBM PS/2 Model 70 MCA

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Re: Too many beers? IBM PS/2 Model 70 MCA

Unread postby GL1zdA » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Most of the DBA drives I've tried won't spin-up and nothing helps. If you can't find any replacement, you can experiment with an additional MCA SCSI controller, it was one of the possible solutions when I had the same problem 7 years ago: PS/2 70 and SCSI-2 Adapter /A. Try searching in comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware for the specific HDD drive you have, there were quite a few topics about them.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 am

There are a couple of controller boards on ebay for next to nothing, but then if they don't work, then it's just wasted.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-72-Pin-MCA-ESDI-Internal-Hard-drive-Controller-/152526774199?hash=item23834ddfb7:g:5Z8AAOSwdGFYrxX0

I think I will have to visit my loft and see what's up there, I just remember I have a proper IBM CRT monitor, I ma have some SCSI cards out my model 95.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Wed May 24, 2017 12:24 pm

uunix wrote:There are a couple of controller boards on ebay for next to nothing, but then if they don't work, then it's just wasted.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-72-Pin-MCA-ESDI-Internal-Hard-drive-Controller-/152526774199?hash=item23834ddfb7:g:5Z8AAOSwdGFYrxX0

I think I will have to visit my loft and see what's up there, I just remember I have a proper IBM CRT monitor, I ma have some SCSI cards out my model 95.

You can try swapping the HDD's controller, but they usually die because of mechanical problems. If you go the MCA SCSI controller route you have to think about how will you provide power for the drive. The Model 70 disk gets power through the edge connector, there are no molex cables inside. Some Future Domain controllers have a molex connector you can use.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed May 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes I saw you had that issue in your comp post.

I am though, and obviously it no guarantee, hear my drive spin up.

I think tomorrow, I will take the drive apart, see what it's doing, then a trip in the loft, actually I may do that tonight. I'm in no rush, and I'm not spending a fortune on it, and some of these drives are very expensive.

Cheers
[Edit]
Just had a quick look in the loft... jeeze, so much stuff, boxes full of cards, could not see any MCA though.
Octanes, o2s, drives, keyboards, millions of books, even saw a 1600sw MLA.
One of these days I will put it all into storage and catalogue the stuff.

Anyway, regarding the power issue and lack of molex, if going SCSI, I do have a number of external scsi drive houses.
[Edit][Edit]
I seemed to have solved the poor with a cotton bud and some cleaning fluid, it reads disks every time now.
Disk unit is still bad though.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

kev009

Unread postby kev009 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 pm

SGI Fuel, Indy R5k
IBM RS/6000 7006-42T, 7011-250, 7012-397, 7012-G40 (upgraded to 4x 200MHz PPC), ThinkPad 710TE vintage tablet, ThinkPad T400, various System X, NetVista 2800
Sun Ultra 27 Xeon Quad Core 3.20GHz, Sunblade 2500 Silver, SunFire V445
HP c8000

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ - IBM Retro
http://www.kev009.com/ - Blog
Free Usenet access for comp.* heirarchy. Send me a message for posting access.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Update..
So, I am ashamed of this confession, but I soaked the lower half of the disk drive in white spirits.. (that's all they had at ASDA).

Anyway, the unit has come to life, but still no good. Tonight I purchased a new battery and tin of IPA Electronic cleaning fluid and again have soaked if, this time for a good few hours. I have unscrewed the disk lid and all looks OK, no visible signs of broken heads,

So tomorrow, I will see how it all goes. If it fails, then it fails..

As an alternate to the disk working, I will create a boot DOS disk that has a terminal client for that era and use it as a dumb terminal?

I once repaired a disk drive by gluing an eraser to stop the heads falling off the platters.. so anything is possible.
[Edit] Actually I am liking the idea of a floppy disk based terminal, does anyone have a recommendation for terminal emulator that would fit on a boot disk?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

Update:
So I never did get the disk working in the machine, but it is usable as a terminal, since I created a boot disk with Kermit on it... and even though I purchased a new battery, it still needs the reference disk to set the system and the clock, so, something amiss there.

AnyHoooo
I have now purchased a none working IBM PS/2 model 95 486 XP that does not, according to the seller even power up. So, we will see.
This had nothing to do with beer.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 am

8595 Arrived to in a very poor state.. PSU looks manky, everything looks manky..

BUT.. it did come with some cards that should help the model 80.

XGA, the standard IBM SCSI Ctrl, plus another SCSI from mountain View.
I have identified and obtained the adf files.. which I just can't get working. This is my stumbling block so far, I have even downloaded using an Indy and netscape still not picking them up.

After that of course, I have two other issues/hurdles..

Firstly, something is up with the clock/battery system, keeps losing time and configuration.

Secondly, no power feed available for any SCSI hard disk I plan to put in there, so will have to think about that one.

Also, possible, there may be compatible memory although I doubt it.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Made a little progress, have one board identified, just need to get XGA installed.

I read that the XGA-2 had problems with certain 386 models, but non for XGA?

Does anyone have an options disk for the XGA? I only have two files on it c8fdb.adf & @8fdb.adf

Also, stripped it down tonight and checked voltages coming from the battery to the board and all seems OK, but a strange thing happened when I stripped it out, the message on start was like a new install, whereas normally it just that the time was lost?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:30 pm

uunix wrote:Does anyone have an options disk for the XGA? I only have two files on it c8fdb.adf & @8fdb.adf

I'd PM ibmfiles. He seems to have everything IBM-related.
Great guy, has helped me a lot in the past.
ImageImage

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:30 pm

uunix wrote:I've owned a few MCA machines in the past from IBM's Tower to a very nice Apricot model [Q-something] which ran XENIX with it's rather cool predictive command line.

The Apricot QI?

I've been noticing a lot with IBM's proprietary disks used in the PS/2 line that while they often did not use the SMD lytics we are now swapping out in everything else from that era they do use miniature through-hole radials. I had a drive in another machine come in recently that sounded fine and seemed to do some of the disk tests but would always fail. An ESR check found all but one of the radials had failed. I've only considered this once before and this was in the magneto optical drive of a NeXT machine and the recap brought it back. I also have a Tandy model 100 that I KNOW had its miniatures leak so I am starting to feel as if now we have another EOL component.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 am

Shiunbird wrote:
uunix wrote:Does anyone have an options disk for the XGA? I only have two files on it c8fdb.adf & @8fdb.adf

I'd PM ibmfiles. He seems to have everything IBM-related.
Great guy, has helped me a lot in the past.

Thanks for the pointer, obtained the adf from there and all went really well.. now it just hangs.. but at least I have got rid of the reference problem HA..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 am

pentium wrote:
uunix wrote:I've owned a few MCA machines in the past from IBM's Tower to a very nice Apricot model [Q-something] which ran XENIX with it's rather cool predictive command line.

The Apricot QI?

I've been noticing a lot with IBM's proprietary disks used in the PS/2 line that while they often did not use the SMD lytics we are now swapping out in everything else from that era they do use miniature through-hole radials. I had a drive in another machine come in recently that sounded fine and seemed to do some of the disk tests but would always fail. An ESR check found all but one of the radials had failed. I've only considered this once before and this was in the magneto optical drive of a NeXT machine and the recap brought it back. I also have a Tandy model 100 that I KNOW had its miniatures leak so I am starting to feel as if now we have another EOL component.

Yep, it was a QI, with orange text monochrome screen. Very futuristic.

PSU failures from that era are failing all around me these days, I wonder if I should take a night course on how to fix them and I could start a good business.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

ibmfiles

Unread postby ibmfiles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Do you need a 5.25" FH 80 MB ESDI HDD? I have a spare that I'll never use.

So what was wrong with the 95XP? There are Pentium 60 complexes floating around at sane prices last I checked (w/ FDIV, too!)

Sometimes when MCA cards are bad, they refuse to take the ADFs because they're not properly detected by the system but the system still 'sees' something. You can also stuff on as many ADFs on a diskette as you please, and if the card is detecting the system reference diskette program should automatically find it all and install seamlessly.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 am

ibmfiles wrote:Do you need a 5.25" FH 80 MB ESDI HDD? I have a spare that I'll never use.

I certainly do, not in any rush though. I'll PM you on that one. Thanks.

ibmfiles wrote:So what was wrong with the 95XP? There are Pentium 60 complexes floating around at sane prices last I checked (w/ FDIV, too!)

PSU - Someone had taken it apart before (screw missing, things bent).

ibmfiles wrote:Sometimes when MCA cards are bad, they refuse to take the ADFs because they're not properly detected by the system but the system still 'sees' something. You can also stuff on as many ADFs on a diskette as you please, and if the card is detecting the system reference diskette program should automatically find it all and install seamlessly.

The XGA hangs when it goes to configuring the system. I got the file from your own site, and on boot it works, but when I go to look at the config, the machine hangs. It does not do this with the card removed. There is also something wrong with it holding onto the date and config, even though it has a new battery.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”