My FPGA based Lisp Machine project

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
geo

My FPGA based Lisp Machine project

Unread postby geo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:50 am

Hi Everyone!

Been a long time since my last post or even visit the forum. To make the long story short, I left China for good and moved here to Japan with my wife :)

While looking for a new career I just use the time learning Japanese as well as doing some freelance projects, but if anyone here can help me point to a full time job please let me know :)

On the other hand I was also working on my personal project during my free time and at last I was able to make it work on actual hardware! I would like to share to you the video I posted recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgIvITAMBc&t=58s

It's an hour presentation but hopefully you'll enjoy the show :)

BR,
Geo
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Re: My FPGA based Lisp Machine project

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 am

Wow. Welcome back. I like Lisp machines. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 am

geo wrote:While looking for a new career I just use the time learning Japanese as well as doing some freelance projects

A new career In Japan? One of the most advanced place in the world?
Where you are required to work 14h/24? Bah ...

Denmark is advanced in robotics, of course not like Japan, Japanese robotics is superior by different orders of magnitudes, but Copenaghen is a good place, a job there iis more affordable, and they speak English as well.

Good luck.

Just my 50 cents.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:49 am

There are certainly stories of people working themselves to death in Japan, but I think it gets overplayed in Western media.
Japanese is also one of the easier languages in the world to learn.

geo: did you know there were Lisp machines designed and built in Japan?

http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/heritage/FAST-LISP.html
http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/other/0004.html
http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/other/0008.html
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:19 pm

robespierre wrote:Japanese is also one of the easier languages in the world to learn.

Sure, it's so easier that even a native (born in japan, grandmother and grandfather, all Japanese) with a bachelor degree is not able to understand more than the 30% of an article written on a newspaper.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Let's try to keep it more or less on topic, i.e. FPGA-based Lisp Machines, ok? There's lots of opportunity for international cultural commentary in the "Everything Else" forum.

Nice work on the video and on the project, geo. Thanks for sharing it!

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:22 am

robespierre wrote:did you know there were Lisp machines designed and built in Japan?

Yup, interesting. What are they used for?

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

I don't know, but the information may be out there. I expect it was the standard expert-system-shell type application mix (airline schedulers were mentioned). That makes sense, because airlines were some of the last major users of lisp machines. SwissAir bought hundreds of TI Explorers after they were discontinued.

geo

Unread postby geo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 pm

HI Everyone!

ClassicHasClass wrote:Wow. Welcome back. I like Lisp machines. :)

Thanks! Cool! I like it too but unfortunately its very rare and expensive :)

Y888099 wrote:
geo wrote:While looking for a new career I just use the time learning Japanese as well as doing some freelance projects

A new career In Japan? One of the most advanced place in the world?
Where you are required to work 14h/24? Bah ...

Denmark is advanced in robotics, of course not like Japan, Japanese robotics is superior by different orders of magnitudes, but Copenaghen is a good place, a job there iis more affordable, and they speak English as well.

Good luck.

Just my 50 cents.

Hehe thanks! And yes I also consider Europe as another option esp Germany, Austria, Swiss, UK, Netherland, Denmark and its likes? Coz I noticed there are many opportunities for embedded software engineers than here in Japan. The demand here is more on web apps and mobile apps.. so I'm currently trying to learn Ruby and Javascript just in case :)

Hey robespierre! been a while! Yes I knew about them since I started reading about LispM :) and actually I already ask my wife to help me contact them to check how I can reserve for the public viewing? Or even want to ask if I can try the actual hardware like the ELIS? Also want to know whether they have info if its possible and affordable to own one :)

josehill wrote:Nice work on the video and on the project, geo. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks too for watching josehill! :)

robespierre wrote:SwissAir bought hundreds of TI Explorers after they were discontinued.

Hmm I wonder where those machines went after decommissioned.
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi geo :)

I don't read Japanese (despite what I said) but maybe there is information you can use:
http://www.nue.org/nue/tao/bitao/new-tao-elis.html

I don't know if the research labs that did them are still around (very surprising if so), but you might be able to contact someone who knows about it.

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:46 am

Amazing work. LISP machines are fascinating for sure... closest I've been to one was at the MIT Museum in Cambridge.

Enjoyed your video description and demo. Congrats to you and Alex for pulling off an admirable feat!
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”