I don't recommend GitHub

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: I don't recommend GitHub

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Shiunbird wrote:Are you sure you are interpreting the message properly?
This sounds to me more like a "black lives matter" thing. They don't mean white lives don't matter, they are just trying to attract attention to the situation of the minority.

You're playing with fire comparing it to BLM. I would highly recommend you don't do that. Because it's comparing apples to oranges. This is about the way that some political ideologies start shitting on white males and claiming privilege and this that and the other. Leaders should be judged entirely not on their race but their personal conduct and their ability to lead and be qualified to lead. I have no issue with workplace diversity, but not at the expense of other qualified applicants. That's why if I was a business and I happened to hire primarily white people - that's not racism. It's about how they qualified to work there. That's the only metric on which someone should be judged.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 am

I agree - people should be judged by their qualifications.

This is all about trying to fix centuries of inequalities in a few years. In my country, there is a quota of positions at free State universities for minorities. You, of course, end up with less qualified students than you would otherwise. It is like trying to get all runners end a marathon simultaneously when a bunch of them started running at kilometer 35 and the rest at kilometer -15. The only way to fix this kind of thing and ensure everybody develops to the best of his/her potentials is to give them equal opportunities from the beginning - education.

However, this takes a long time and kids don't vote, so in many countries primary education needs attention, whilst university students burn the planet down if things are not as they should.

Strong educational systems are THE long term fix for many issues: public safety, income equality, wealth distribution, prejudice and racism, etc.. but they take too long to show results, so politicians are not that interested in heavily investing in it.

So, in regards to GitHub: I welcome the debate in GitHub, and I don't really think the intentions are bad here. It's maybe just not the best way to fix a much wider issue.

Edit: making my conclusion clearer.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 am

It doesn't help when they do things counterproductive to education like encourage use of Ebonics here.

And the big problem I have is the idea they seem to have that we white males have privilege. That's a racist sentiment.

And finally it's impossible to get equality of outcome. I don't believe it'll ever happen since humans are undeniably not born equal. Some of us are born geniuses, some of us can't count to potato. Some of us can code like they can ride a bike then you have people like me who have to literally break the code then fix it.

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 am

Raion-Fox wrote:And the big problem I have is the idea they seem to have that we white males have privilege. That's a racist sentiment.

WOO YER DAMN RIGHT! Being able to walk down the street at night without fear of being shot by a police officer over absolutely nothing is our damn right as white people! It's not a privilege!

Pull your head out of your ass and realize that every day, a huge portion of this country wakes up with more little handicaps placed on them by society than you can ever imagine with your narrow little world view. That shit adds up to a perceptible disadvantage for non-white and non-male people.

But go on and tell me about how you aren't tacitly supporting systemic racism and sexism with your rhetoric about people being born unequal, so hey it's their fault, not the system.

Fuck it. This is so unbelievably myopic and disgusting. I'd risk my 10 years of spotless forum record and maybe even get booted to call you out over it.

If nothing else, maybe the mods will lock this thread.
:O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:19 am

Amazing pierocks how I went from civilly stating an opinion to you having a full blown meltdown on the forum over an opinion I shared. You chose to attack me for it and I think that kind of shows your own personal shortcomings as a human being coming through as that is a pure and total lack of respect or empathy right there. You could have tacitly disagreed. You could have simply not commented but you chose to insult and harass me for the simple crime of having an opinion you disagree with? What a hypocrite.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 am

Guys, if someone has issues with an opinion raised in the forum thread posted under 'everything else' please count to ten and reply with respect to the views and opinions of the OP and the people replying.

There is absolutely no need to respond with capslock sentences and swearing. If you disagree, PM the person and discuss it there. If you strongly disagree, PM a mod.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm

dexter1 wrote:There is absolutely no need to respond with capslock sentences and swearing. If you disagree, PM the person and discuss it there. If you strongly disagree, PM a mod.

Seconded and locked. Not like this discussion will go anywhere fruitful from here on now, will it?

Keep it friendly, people, and maybe take such to "Everything Else" in the first place. ;)
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”