Various PCI-X cards (FC, Ethernet)

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Darkstar

Various PCI-X cards (FC, Ethernet)

Unread postby Darkstar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 am

Hi again,

our company is moving and so we're cleaning out some old stuff from various datacenters, closets and racks so that we don't have to move it, and I am tasked with that job :)

I'd like to know if there's any sort of interest here for people who might want to upgrade their systems or something, that's why I don't provide any part numbers or details (yet). I have not decided what to do with the stuff (and it's not as time-critical as my last call to action), so feel free to post in this thread if you would be interested in one, some or all of it and depending on the responses I will decide on how to proceed :)

Currently I have a whole box full of PCI-X cards that are going to be thrown away:

It is mostly:
- QLogic FC HBAs with 2 or 4 GBit, 2 or 4 ports
- 4-Port LSI FC HBAs
- Gigabit Ethernet cards with 2 LC connectors, although there is also one dual RJ45 card too
- a few Emulex iSCSI HBAs with iSNAP chipset (the ones in the anti-static bags) with 2 RJ45 GbE ports

the cards are all OEM from a enterprise storage vendor, so they might contain custom firmware on the cards (some are labelled "target" and some "FCVI", I don't know if they only contain a special ID so that the system treats them differently or if they are indeed different, hardware-wise or firmware-wise, as far as I can see they share the same QLogic part number).

Most of the cards contain SFPs either soldered-on or plugged in, and as seen on the picture they don't all have these protective plugs so they might require some cleaning. They might also not work at all since they were probably last installed in a working system 10 years ago :)

-Darkstar
My former SGI collection, in chronological order (only here for the nostalgia since I had to give most of it away :cry:):
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane: :Indigo: :O2000: :O2: :O2: :Octane2:

Other systems from my collection:
IBM PReP 43P/120, HP 9000/712, DEC VAXstation 4000 model 60, HP Envizex II, DEC AlphaStation 200, Amiga 2000, HP NetServer LH4r, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari 512ST, Sun SPARCengine CP1500, Sun SPARCengine Ultra AXi

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Various PCI-X cards (FC, Ethernet)

Unread postby uunix » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 am

I'd certainly be interested in a handful of the FC cards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:15 am

Darkstar wrote:- QLogic FC HBAs with 2 or 4 GBit, 2 or 4 ports
- 4-Port LSI FC HBAs

AFAIK, all 4-port cards have a PCI(-X) bridge on board and are not supported by IRIX.

QLA2342 (dual 2Gbit) work in anything with a PCI slot
QLA2460 (4Gbit), QLA2462 (dual 4Gbit) work in Origin 3x0/3K/Fuel/Tezro but not the older systems

Some of these cards can be used for other interesting experiments, like running them in target mode to turn a Solaris/Linux/BSD server into an FC storage target.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

tingo
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tingo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:16 am

Aren't these PCI-X cards? Can they fit and work in PCI slots at all?
Torfinn

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”