Turning your back on windows

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
VenomousPinecone

Re: Turning your back on windows

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 am

uunix wrote:I am beginning to get a bit cheesed off with looking after Windows users

Users in general are the issue. I betcha most of them own iPhones.

viruses

Malware maybe? because I haven't seen a proper computer virus outbreak since my Win98 days.

the inability to do things

Like what?

3rd party IT companies (who can't figure out how to control exchange and don't even know what a shadow copy is)

Why would you outsource to morons? Did you not talk to them first? or did they get hired by some other moron? :P

What is the answer to this modern day 1984 world we live in?

Stop reading slashdot. This is Brave New World not 1984. Also, remember you are replaceable, it should help keep everything in context. :lol:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Chromebooks are good - they run coreboot and if you install Linux/BSD on them then you get rid of their spyware.

I still run 7 and FreeBSD side by side - FoxBSD will replace FreeBSD once its desktop ready.
:Fuel: R16000 900MHz 4GB V12 6.5.30 reimu
:Indy:
:Indy: (Challenge S)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran

http://projectkitsune.com

I develop FoxBSD, support the BSDs and UNIX scene in general.

Recovering Apple addict (2005-2014, $15k later), don't start - learn from my misery.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:23 pm

I've done it! My laptop is now running Qubes OS and my desktop is Hackintosh as it has always been. Windows will exist for me only as a Qubes VM to run software that won't run on Linux.

I'm done with Microsoft BS.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Got one Windows 7 machine going.

One VMS, One IRIX and Three FreeBSD based systems(FreeBSD, FreeNAS, PfSense). Not really interested in Windows 10.

Hopefully ReactOS will eventually replace Windows for the legacy applications and games. I hope to migrate FreeBSD to FoxBSD when it is ready for action.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Krokodil wrote:I hope to migrate FreeBSD to FoxBSD when it is ready for action.

I am flattered. It'll be quite a while before its actually feasible for day-day desktop use. Don't expect miracles right away. It's currently getting updated and patched to 11-STABLE so we can utilize the patches Shawn from HardenedBSD has done for 11-stable.

Recovering Apple addict (2005-2014, $15k later), don't start - learn from my misery.

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Krokodil wrote:Hopefully ReactOS will eventually replace Windows for the legacy applications and games. I hope to migrate FreeBSD to FoxBSD when it is ready for action.

I've been waiting on ReactOS for close to a decade, I'm not going to hold my breath. That said, if they ever do get it rolling, I'll be on it like a thing on another thing.

In the meantime, I've been running Devuan on my new laptop since November (it would be one of the BSDs if their laptop support was better, but oh well, at least this is free of the systemd taint) and I'm actually having some luck making a go of it this time. It helps that A. they've finally figured out how to configure PulseAudio to not be completely broken out of the box, B. HTML5 video support is widespread enough these days that I don't need Flash just to be able to watch YouTube, and C. WINE seems to finally be both stable and compatible on 64-bit systems, so I can use the good shit (Photoshop) rather than just shit (GIMP) in a lot of cases.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 pm

commodorejohn wrote:In the meantime, I've been running Devuan on my new laptop since November (it would be one of the BSDs if their laptop support was better, but oh well, at least this is free of the systemd taint)

Just for the record I'd like to point out that Slackware is still a systemd free zone... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes, and it's also a pain in the ass.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 am

Slackware works great on my razer blade stealth (skylake model), with the exception of a lack of Synapse, but that's hardly a deal breaker (chroma settings can be changed in windows and retained when rebooted). I haven't tried using the core dock with slack, tho. Would imagine hotplugging GPU (GTX1070) is not possible, but it flashes black for about 300ms when switching to/from egpu even in windows so apparently it's a hard thing to do correctly.

What part of slack is a pain in the ass? It's the easiest linux I've ever used. Power management, hidpi, kb/tp, wifi (I use an intel 8260), all works even in the live CD. I just use a USB stick because it all just works and I haven't had to install it to make any tweaks.

VenomousPinecone wrote:
What is the answer to this modern day 1984 world we live in?

Stop reading slashdot...Also, remember you are replaceable.

Excellent advice. :)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:09 am

The part where you have to build something any time you want to install it.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Slack lacks dependency resolution in its package manager and it requires PulseAudio.

There's many reasons I prefer non Linux OSes but among them is the broken ALSA API (blocking I/O design) the broken mess that Pulse Audio is, the poor network performance of Linux by default unless you use VyOS (which is maintained by Daniel Baturin, mad respect to the guy for making a decent network appliance OS) and the fact that a lot of things are simply added in half baked and rely on the user to fix.

I'm not defending BSD either. OpenBSD is still mostly giant locked in the kernel (hence why bitrig split off) NetBSD has languished a little due to lack of developer attention and FreeBSD has the Apple users pulling one way, the Linux refugees pulling another and the insular userbase pulling another way. OSS works for sound fine on FreeBSD but the lack of X in base is stupid, and the overall polish and feature creep of FreeBSD sucks. We don't need Heimdall in base, anyone needing Kerberos should have to compile from ports and recompile the base network components. We don't need three firewalls, one with little in the way of development and many known holes, one that is native but has netgraph and dummynet tied to it and one that is great but outdated.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Raion-Fox wrote: FreeBSD has the Apple users pulling one way, the Linux refugees pulling another and the insular userbase pulling another way. OSS works for sound fine on FreeBSD but the lack of X in base is stupid, and the overall polish and feature creep of FreeBSD sucks. We don't need Heimdall in base, anyone needing Kerberos should have to compile from ports and recompile the base network components. We don't need three firewalls, one with little in the way of development and many known holes, one that is native but has netgraph and dummynet tied to it and one that is great but outdated.

Yeah. Been feeling that for a long time. Looking forward to the bright future with FoxBSD. :) The fools will destroy the FreeBSD we knew and loved and then move onto the next big thing. Maybe they'll all end up on AROS or something. Lol.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Dodoid wrote:I've done it! My laptop is now running Qubes OS and my desktop is Hackintosh as it has always been. Windows will exist for me only as a Qubes VM to run software that won't run on Linux.

All that effort and yet you still got systemd :P

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:All that effort and yet you still got systemd :P

Well, there is https://devuan.org/ ;-)
(Oh I see it's already been mentioned in this thread.)
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:58 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:
Dodoid wrote:I've done it! My laptop is now running Qubes OS and my desktop is Hackintosh as it has always been. Windows will exist for me only as a Qubes VM to run software that won't run on Linux.

All that effort and yet you still got systemd :P

I have never had systemd do anything to make me dislike it, but I've never really had to mess with it. Besides, I don't need to use systemd in any of the VMs I actually have to work in (Dom0 would still have it, but who cares, it's Dom0, it's job is literally to run a WM and confirm file copies). It's Qubes, so I could run an HVM of Solaris x86 if I wanted to :D !
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”