Turning your back on windows

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Turning your back on windows

Unread postby foetz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 pm

ibmfiles wrote:the world either runs on Windows or mac OS with a majority on Windows--choose your poison

oh i did choose quite some time ago and i'm pretty happy with osx since then.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Sure my thinkpad w520 still has the socket but I haven't seen a (monitor/tv/projector) with vga in several years. Most monitors DP, TVs HDMI, projectors either HDMI or some wireless thing (at our offices we have chromecast in conference rooms but apple tv seems fairly common as well). Hell even my vintage cinema 20" at home is DVI. And it's 15 years old.

We are mostly apple-centric at work with google services. Being an engineer I can mostly pick what I want (hence, razer and lenovo) But we also seem to have a very small IT team. Also since my company is tiny part of parent firm we are mostly ignored except for vpn (only necessary to access accounting files on network).

foetz wrote:
ibmfiles wrote:the world either runs on Windows or mac OS with a majority on Windows--choose your poison

oh i did choose quite some time ago and i'm pretty happy with osx since then.

I was happy living the apple life till my workload became heavily solidworks-centric. Because I spend whole days inside one app (solidworks, matlab/simulink, Codesys, recently Wachendorff projector, etc) I have learned that I really don't care what the underlying OS does so long as it stays out of my way.

And I know razer is at a premium over apple but having a decent keyboard, screen, and trackpad (not to mention REAL power!) are more than worth it. I'm hoping this or next year I can swing an upgrade to a blade pro from my w520. Our blade stealths (me+wife) are REALLY good :)

Apple is cheap and boring which is why IT likes it and I definitely appreciate the appeal, but at least the thinkpad has that classic style ;)
Last edited by guardian452 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:32 am

ibmfiles wrote:#4 Locked-down interface options so you're stuck with a mismatched contrasted colour scheme (while I can make it workable, it's still stupid). Obviously the the new Microsoft generation forgotten what Brad Wardell told MS to do in XP with at least making the clown interface customizable.
You can thank the generation of these minimalist-obsessed user-interface idiots for this. It's the latest fad in MacOS, KDE Plasma 5, etc. Bevels and color are out, simple lines and soulless black/white is in. If we're all lucky, Motif will be the next fad.

ibmfiles wrote:#7 No disclosure of ALL of the information Microsoft inhales through their "vortex" server and many others
Actually, MS came clean on that, kinda:
https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/win ... and-fields
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:43 am

guardian452 wrote:I was happy living the apple life till my workload became heavily solidworks-centric. Because I spend whole days inside one app (solidworks, matlab/simulink, Codesys, recently Wachendorff projector, etc) I have learned that I really don't care what the underlying OS does so long as it stays out of my way.

Yup. The same here with OrCad and Tina.
I don't care if the underlying OS is Windows.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”