New toy

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

New toy

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:24 am

Ordered Razer blade stealth for wife's birthday. We love it! Now I am presented with a dilemma: whether I should order another stealth for myself, or get it's bigger brother the blade when available (as originally planned). Maybe it's a gimmick but it appeals to my 6-year-old brain... I'm not buying one without the chroma keyboard.

I am so glad she put her foot down and refused to let me buy a macbook for her (she hates apple). They take the standard windows system but then get rid of all of the crap that it normally comes with (buy office! buy HP ProPDF! buy DVD magic! buy norton! buy symantec! buy angry birds!) so the result is a windows PC that... <gasp> isn't full of crappy ads like a thinkpad or dell.

s0ke
Donor
Donor

Re: New toy

Unread postby s0ke » Tue May 24, 2016 5:38 am

Ooooo shiny! I have been wrestling with getting a blade over a macbook pro. I'm leaning towards the blade as well.
:Fuel: REFUSE
R16K 700: 2GB: V10: Noctua Fans

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I don't have it delivered yet, although we did play with them in the Microsoft store.

When the stealth shows up I'll do a side-by-side comparo with my work laptop 2014 rmbp. The blade (not stealth) that I want for myself isn't out yet, but it has a built in GPU and as such isn't really comparable to a macbook. I want it for one thing and one thing only, to play games. Not even web browsing will be allowed :twisted:

The hardware is very similar in construction and appearance, tho the razer is definitely an improvement over apple's bland, corporate-friendly design. They could be brothers, albeit one a punk rocker and the other an insurance salesman. You also don't have to put up with the asshats at the apple store which is worth it's weight in gold. It does not have the gaudy tail fins and flares like an alienware, although the chroma keyboard more than makes up for it.

On the down side, you don't get OSX but have to put up with windows. Since apple support has been circling the crapper lately, I'm not sure if this is as big a negative as it used to be. My 1-month-old ipad pro is incapable of updating itself, says it can't connect to the internet when updating but the connection is doing fine. Apple store says nothing other than "it can't install this update, and that's normal. Buy something or go away. NOW!" :shock: Which is fairly typical IME. As OSX/apple is in decline, windows has been getting better.

Windows can at least select text without hiccup, OSX litters the screen with garbage. Has been going on for a while now, since at least 10.10.0. Little stuff like that really irks me more than it should (see attached screenshot) and it used to be that windows had far more annoyances like this than OSX. I would say the opposite is true now, but I won't pass judgement until I get more familiar with windows as I only really get to deal with it now in VMWare fusion.
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 4.27.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 4.27.19 PM.png (31.85 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

I had a much more pleasurable experience purchasing from razer zone (first time) than apple store, who I have gone to several times for high-$ items (e.g. not just ipod socks) both in store and online.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 24, 2016 2:06 pm

guardian452 wrote:Windows can at least select text without hiccup, OSX litters the screen with garbage. Has been going on for a while now, since at least 10.10.0. Little stuff like that really irks me more than it should (see attached screenshot) and it used to be that windows had far more annoyances like this than OSX. I would say the opposite is true now.

OSX is getting worse and Windows is getting better.. I'd agree on half of that, but I think Windows is getting worse.

Updates are becoming a pain, when to turn them off requires an MCSE and once they start you pray they will work. Apple also forcing updates down your throat.

I have also noticed of late, clicking on a new tab (Edge/Explorer) that SHOULD show your most frequently viewed sites, now shows one site and that's some bizarre world news site I have never visited.

Once a windows machines gets the BSOD (Which is much improved now, as the colour is nice and there's a smiley) seems to state that, trying to repair this computer will come to no good. Windows is blaming it on a hardware issue, but if you re-install a clean version of Windows we pretty much guarantee it will work for another year. So yes, Windows has repaired the hardware fault!

OSX, iTunes used to be so nice and easy, now I can't even find the fscking TUNES!!

LINUX.. more flavours than a 48 multi pack of Walkers crisps! All different in just enough that 'google is your friend' will become written in BIBLE II The Return.

Nothing to do with every day computing is getting better (I say that, but, have you ever had a flaky legacy machine that you knew you couldn't get running if the hardware failed and then virtualized it in VMware.. amazing) it's all about 'I want to know what you are doing and SELL YOU THIS FSCKING HAIR PRODUCT!

OK so, things aren't getting worse if we compare with the older days, but old issues just seem to be replaced with new issues.. computing is just like the British weather.. something to moan about!

Ransomware, Identity theft, all the sites you trusted getting hack and find that they stored your password in plain text!! And now google want to show burglars the best escape path out your building by producing the schematics!

Sorry for the rant.. Razor looks cool!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:07 pm

On windows I always used to use firefox. Can't live without adblock. But I was serous about no web browsing. I have no desire to turn off windows update, seems pretty stupid thing to do IMO. I'm still waiting for apple to come up with a real answer for this but haven't heard back yet...
image.png

This is not on a mac, this is their bread and butter iOS on their latest and greatest machine. My internet connection is perfectly fine. All I got from the apple store is this is the expected behavior, this update isn't for this machine. We don't know why it showed up and won't go away. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :evil:

All of my xboxes are working peachy fine so I think MS knows a thing or two about gaming machines. Still have an old lumia and thinking about getting a new one. I just haven't much experience with windows proper anymore.

We traded itunes for spotify premium and it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't get me started on the watch. I'll put my complaints in a seperate post at a later date!

devv

Unread postby devv » Tue May 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Just on a side note, I am solving the ads issue by finding the domains from which ads are served and listing them in my /etc/hosts, pointing to an invalid IP.
I've been running this for year(s) now and it requires surprisingly little maintenance.
Feel free to privmsg me if you want a ready-for-use list.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 pm

guardian452 wrote:I have no desire to turn off windows update, seems pretty stupid thing to do IMO.

Not turn them off so to speak, but in my own time and to know what I am updating. I had a window cover a complete screen with an update, and it was for blooming flash (or something similar).

It just seems every single day an apple or windows update, and I thought our company was bad! Oh and then there's Sophos UTM, which seems to send me 5 emails each hour telling me there is a patch to apply!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 24, 2016 3:51 pm

guardian452 wrote:All of my xboxes are working peachy fine so I think MS knows a thing or two about gaming machines.

And another thing on that subject of other products working fine.. Netflix.. absolutely fine, sometimes running on three TVs in the house at once.. and compare that to SKY 'off you' GO.. UTTER UTTER [speechless]
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 pm

uunix wrote:
guardian452 wrote:I have no desire to turn off windows update, seems pretty stupid thing to do IMO.

Not turn them off so to speak, but in my own time and to know what I am updating. I had a window cover a complete screen with an update, and it was for blooming flash (or something similar).

It just seems every single day an apple or windows update, and I thought our company was bad! Oh and then there's Sophos UTM, which seems to send me 5 emails each hour telling me there is a patch to apply!

Having an update decide you need this now while you're giving a presentation is a little problematic - I mean I guess we didn't need the slide deck or demo.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 pm

I'm just waiting for the first time people die because a critical system "helpfully" decides that now would be a really optimal time for a forced auto-update and reboot. You know it's going to happen.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Wed May 25, 2016 3:52 am

Windows 10 is really braindead when it comes to updating. Love it when I leave something rendering for the night and in the morning computer has restarted, resulting in no rendering and destroying all the work as had not remembered to save the damn thing before hitting render button.

When there are programs running and doing something, who retard at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to shutdown and restart the computer?

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 am

I'd second the claim that Windows is getting worse. Windows 7 wasn't perfect, but was overall a pretty solid release and is what I'm using on my main PC and laptop. Windows 8 was technologically good, but was spoiled by a crap interface.

Windows 10 is a strange one. I personally still prefer the more coherent interface of Windows 7, but W10 is a big improvement over W8. However IMO it has two main flaws that mean it's not going on any of my systems. The first is the forced updates. I'm happy to install updates, but I always have my systems set to ask me so that I can install them at a time and place which is convenient for me. Windows 10 takes away that control, can foister updates on me whenever it wants, and is therefore useless for me.

However the biggest flaw with Windows 10 is Microsoft's appalling attitude and contempt when it comes to trying to ram it down everyone's throats. Over the last year I've seen them play every single dirty, annoying and dishonest trick in the book to try and squeeze Windows 10 onto as many systems as possible. They tried annoying people, tricking them, they've pushed out malware and adware via Automatic Updates, etc. etc.

As a result, it's a bit like running into an overly pushy and dishonest salesman. In the end, you refuse to go for the product he's pushing out of sheer principle.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed May 25, 2016 9:23 am

Playing Devil's Advocate here... (my main corporate machine is W8, but I need to test W10)

- There's actually an option to have the machine asking you when you have to install the updates, instead of just doing it.

But what I HATE:

- The Windows e-mail client is ok-ish, but there's some SMOOTH ANIMATION when you are typing that drives me insane. I tried some registry acrobatics to stop that, but it doesn't work.
- "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" - ACTUALLY INSTALLS NEW PRODUCTS without asking you.
- All the acrobatics to disable live tiles everywhere (no I don't need to know the temperature outside when I open the start menu), and to stop it trying to get me into buying Microsoft Office every day.
- It is incredible how often it phones home for anything, even after again registry acrobatics to disable all I found find. For example, I like to type the name of an application to find it, just like I do when I use a Mac. But if you disable Cortana, you disable this functionality. Why do both have to be related? I end up leaving Cortana enabled just because typing the name of a program is the fastest way to find it.
- Windows search randomly doesn't find things even if I'm 100% sure they exist. I have a "todo.txt" file and 50% of the times I try to find it by searching it, it doesn't find anything (this problem also happens in Windows 8.1). Sometimes I use the command prompt to find a file just because it's more effective. Spotlight seems to work much better.

Microsoft has to understand operating systems are about the APPS.
You set the OS once and forget it forever. It should not get in your way, advertise itself or anything related anyhow. No one turns a computer on to run Windows. Give me a stable application launcher with reasonably stable and consistent APIs on a solid foundation and that's it.
ImageImage

bigD

Unread postby bigD » Thu May 26, 2016 5:29 am

Ugh...dammit guardian452 - you just put the Razor Blade Stealth on my radar. ;)

I've been a MacBook Air and OS X guy for quite awhile, but agree that Apple has lost its way. It's been downhill since Snow Leopard, IMO. My generic i5 desktop runs Windows 7 (and Slackware), and it's pretty solid. I might just have to make my next laptop be a PC as well. If I can find something where the hardware feels as good as my MBA does (which this Razor just might), that'll probably convince me to make the switch.
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:12 pm

After a fedex snafu, it finally showed up today. I haven't tried it yet but my wife was very excited by it. Her notes:
- screen is very good, speakers are "amazeballs". However, her old sony laptop (vaio fit 14) had "bravia" screen technology, which was "borrowed" from sony televisions. This has guaranteed I will never, ever, buy a sony television.
- overall the machine is very high quality and feels like my macbook (2014 rmbp).
- the machine looks very nice, especially the chroma keyboard.
- very fast (compared to her 2013 sony vaio which was not slow however it did have a spinning-rust disk which I always found unbearable to use, especially the noises it made on occasion)
- the fan turns on occasionally even when doing nothing. I would put this as more of a fact of life when having to deal with a windows machine. My macbook runs the fan occasionally when running windows in vmware even when neither system is doing anything.
- the fan is much much quieter than her sony and sounds less like a hair dryer and more like a woosh of air.
- this is the first windows PC I have seen that has a "Real Thunderbolt" port and not a displayport. But it is physically a USB-C plug, so an adapter is still required to plug it into an apple thunderbolt display. I am not purchasing a $100 adapter just to confirm this compatibility but it may work (IDK if there are even windows drivers for the apple TBD)
- the touch screen works as good as her old one. Nothing to complain about but this one hasn't had a chance to get dirty yet, which is what separates the men from the boys.

We are planning to purchase a "core" device which allows connecting a full-size graphics card to the laptop, ideally for a VR headset. The only VR stuff we have at the house is her samsung S6 edge+ and the GearVR for that. I've never tried any consumer grade (Oculus, Vive, etc) VR stuff but do enjoy commercial machines (e.g. arcade machines) and playing with industrial simulators (unfortunately in my industry that is limited to automotive applications). Razer makes an OSVR kit for $300 which looks interesting.

I'll take some side-by-side shots with this and my macbook when I get home. The stealth supposedly slots neatly in between a macbook air and pro, whereas the full-on blade is above all but the top-end 15" macbook with GPU. I used to have an old macbook air 11", so I think I can make a pretty good compare-o for you.

The box says "welcome to the cult of razer". Even my anti-apple wife understands the herd following of macs and why people love them, yet can't imagine anybody camping out at a shopping mall to buy the new model of anything razer makes. Maybe they are putting the cart a bit before the horse, here. They do have some magazine-like music and gaming articles on their website and a web forum, FWIW.

If you need a macbook with windows and have some religious objection to giving apple any money, this is your machine.
Last edited by guardian452 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”