MaXX is back!

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
DMJC
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby DMJC » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 am

I played with it, found 5DWM was too unstable, but using MWM with all of the apps gave a pretty pleasant experience. I'd be interested to know what's missing from IRIX compared to a MaXX setup.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:33 am

foetz wrote:ldd problematic_file


Any executable in the bin32 folder return
"not a dynamic executable"

For example, ldd -v 5Dwm
ImageImage

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:35 am

DMJC wrote:I played with it, found 5DWM was too unstable, but using MWM with all of the apps gave a pretty pleasant experience. I'd be interested to know what's missing from IRIX compared to a MaXX setup.


How did you get it to run?
I tried Debian and Fedora, no go. =(
ImageImage

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:18 am

opcode wrote:I installed it on my Devuan build on my MacPro 3,1. Really weird, everytime I try to launch anything in the /opt/MaXX/bin32 directory, it says "file not found". Maybe it has been a long day of BS at work and my brain isn't working....

See my reply five messages above... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
ianj
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:43 am
Location: 費府

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby ianj » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:39 am

Where do you get it? The project website points to a Sourceforge page with no files available for "Downloads."
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:

User avatar
Geoman
Donor
Donor
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby Geoman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 pm

ianj wrote:Where do you get it? The project website points to a Sourceforge page with no files available for "Downloads."


http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16729754&start=120#p7393697
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

User avatar
opcode
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby opcode » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:46 pm

opcode wrote:Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?

Indeed he did say he was working on a new build, and then he promptly disappeared. Again... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

segfault
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:01 am

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby segfault » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Slightly off-topic: What steps would you need to go through (specifically with SGI's intellectual property) to clone the IRIX Interactive Desktop? And if it were cloned, which toolkit would you want to see it using? Would you want an exact copy or a themeable environment (default theme would be an exact copy) that would allow for a more modern look?

User avatar
Geoman
Donor
Donor
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby Geoman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:31 pm

segfault wrote:Slightly off-topic: What steps would you need to go through (specifically with SGI's intellectual property) to clone the IRIX Interactive Desktop? And if it were cloned, which toolkit would you want to see it using? Would you want an exact copy or a themeable environment (default theme would be an exact copy) that would allow for a more modern look?


Now it is HP's intellectual property... which won't make things easier I fear.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

armanox
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby armanox » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 pm

vishnu wrote:
opcode wrote:Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?

Indeed he did say he was working on a new build, and then he promptly disappeared. Again... :roll:


I saw a post out of MaXX Interactive Desktop on Facebook recently - so assuming that he's running that page it isn't 100% dead after all.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:03 am

armanox wrote:
vishnu wrote:
opcode wrote:Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?

Indeed he did say he was working on a new build, and then he promptly disappeared. Again... :roll:


I saw a post out of MaXX Interactive Desktop on Facebook recently - so assuming that he's running that page it isn't 100% dead after all.

Huh! :shock: Well you could knock me over with a compression connector... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
maxxi.desktop
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby maxxi.desktop » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 am

he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
1) HP acquired SGI... I've reopened the discussion and waiting for a reply
2) I retain the rights for MaXX and binaries/installers must come from maxxinteractive.com as of now.
3) Working on new code and looking for c,c++ and Java developers
4) Fedora 25 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)
6) Incremental releases will be the way to go.
7) New release dubbed Onyx is on the work
8) Writing technical documents to facilitate the involvement of contributors

Here are the main links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/maxxdesktop/
main site : http://www.maxxinteractive.com

-Eric
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700

armanox
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby armanox » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 am

maxxi.desktop wrote:he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
1) HP acquired SGI... I've reopened the discussion and waiting for a reply
2) I retain the rights for MaXX and binaries/installers must come from maxxinteractive.com as of now.
3) Working on new code and looking for c,c++ and Java developers
4) Fedora 25 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)
6) Incremental releases will be the way to go.
7) New release dubbed Onyx is on the work
8) Writing technical documents to facilitate the involvement of contributors

Here are the main links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/maxxdesktop/
main site : http://www.maxxinteractive.com

-Eric


Awesomeness - let us know what exactly you are looking for. I for one am more then happy to help with testing, and I have some experience with C, C++, and Java (most of my experience is in C/C++), but I am sure that plenty of others would be willing to step up to help with development too. Just think - getting some helpers might really kick this thing into gear!
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:

User avatar
maxxi.desktop
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Montreal, CANADA
Contact:

Re: MaXX is back!

Unread postby maxxi.desktop » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 am

maxxi.desktop wrote:he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
1) HP acquired SGI... I've reopened the discussion and waiting for a reply
2) I retain the rights for MaXX and binaries/installers must come from maxxinteractive.com as of now.
3) Working on new code and looking for c,c++ and Java developers
4) Fedora 24 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)
6) Incremental releases will be the way to go.
7) New release dubbed Onyx is on the work
8) Writing technical documents to facilitate the involvement of contributors

Here are the main links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/maxxdesktop/
main site : http://www.maxxinteractive.com

-Eric


Correction: Fedora 24 is the version. Too many uncertainties for ABI compatibility, the intro of Wayland as default Windowing System and Python 3.6 (for anything Blender)
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700


Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest