uptime contest !

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Pontus

Re: uptime contest !

Unread postby Pontus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:38 am

That is the experience I've had with the UPS we ran at the computer club. More than once the UPS was to blame for downtime. (I suppose that a failing cooling system with fluctuating temperatures was not good for the batteries... but still)
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 am

vishnu wrote:Sounds like a gold-plated opportunity to upgrade the cooling system in your closet!

Yeah, I took a hole in the door and screwed a grille on it which that helped a little, but it seems more drastic measures are required. Plan B is to drill a hole in the panels above the door and install another vent, with the hope that convection could cause some kind of air movement. There's a tiny vent connected to the building air ducts near the ceiling, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. (Plan A rested on the presumption that given a "cold" air intake, air pressure would not be reduced by any movement out through the vent and causing the flow to stop.) If B doesn't work, plan C is to add a fan to suck the air back out into the apartment. D involves a heavy-duty air movement device.

Fortunately the alpha seems to be running OK now, and that gives me a little time to think up a solution.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:41 pm

jan-jaap wrote:... I can't remember the last power outage. Must be years ago.

There is no more certain way to cause a power outage than this - good luck, JJ! :lol:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

eudatux23

Unread postby eudatux23 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 am

One of my Linux servers:
$ uptime
11:50:36 up 284 days, 9:55, 1 user, load average: 1,06, 2,53, 2,70
:Octane2: SGI Octane 2 - Dual R12K 400 MHz - 250 0MB RAM - 73 GB HDD - vPro v12 - IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo² - R10K 175 MHz - 320 MB RAM - 73 GB SCSI HDD - High Impact-AA + TRAM - IRIX 6.5.22f
:O2: SGI O2 - R5K 180 MHz - 96 MB RAM - 18 GB HDD - CRM - IRIX 6.5.30

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:53 am

duck wrote:Plan B is to drill a hole in the panels above the door and install another vent, with the hope that convection could cause some kind of air movement. There's a tiny vent connected to the building air ducts near the ceiling, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I lived in a house built in the twenties - lath and plaster, Spanish tile roof, built-in ironing board, all that stuff. The pantry had a vegetable cooler that worked great : it was like a very tall closet where the shelves were parallel wooden slats, maybe 50-50 wood and air space. At the very bottom there was a big vent to the outdoors and same at the top. Things like apples and potatoes that a refrigerator is too cold for kept much longer in this thing. And they tasted better, too - didn't get soggy. My grandmother had a name for it but that's long lost to history. She had a Murphy bed, too, but I remember the name for that one.

Don't know if it would work for your HP but it was great for fruits and vegetables.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:58 am

hamei wrote:I lived in a house built in the twenties - lath and plaster, Spanish tile roof, built-in ironing board, all that stuff. The pantry had a vegetable cooler that worked great : it was like a very tall closet where the shelves were parallel wooden slats, maybe 50-50 wood and air space. At the very bottom there was a big vent to the outdoors and same at the top. Things like apples and potatoes that a refrigerator is too cold for kept much longer in this thing. And they tasted better, too - didn't get soggy. My grandmother had a name for it but that's long lost to history. She had a Murphy bed, too, but I remember the name for that one.

Don't know if it would work for your HP but it was great for fruits and vegetables.

Sounds like the principle I'm trying to employ; I doubt my electronics would enjoy the humidity of the big blue (white today) room though. :-)
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm thinking about buying one of those portable room air conditioners, with 5 computers on in the computer room the whole house air conditioner just can't handle the watts. I don't know what the story is in Jakobstad, do you ever need an air conditioner there? All my ancsestors came from above the arctic circle in Norway and they all assured me that no one ever uses air condtioning there... 8-)

Back before they air conditioned the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome it used to get brutally hot during the height of summer, and the beer vendors would be yelling "beer, get your beer here, air conditioning in a cup!" :twisted:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm

My server room has an LG portable A/C. It vents under one of the turbine vents on the roof so I didn't have to run it out the window. It pulls about 1.2kW when active and is good for 11,000 BTU, and can keep the room under 80 F even in the summer. In the winter, with Energy Save on, it barely turns on the fan now and then to blow over the condenser coils.

I keep the door closed when the central heat or A/C are on, and I've blocked the vent in that room, so it's basically on its own environmental circuit. The G4 server has a USB thermometer to log the current temperature so I can monitor it remotely.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:46 am

vishnu wrote:I'm thinking about buying one of those portable room air conditioners, with 5 computers on in the computer room the whole house air conditioner just can't handle the watts. I don't know what the story is in Jakobstad, do you ever need an air conditioner there? All my ancsestors came from above the arctic circle in Norway and they all assured me that no one ever uses air condtioning there... 8-)

Back before they air conditioned the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome it used to get brutally hot during the height of summer, and the beer vendors would be yelling "beer, get your beer here, air conditioning in a cup!" :twisted:

It used to be pretty rare, but the last couple of years I have started to notice the boxes on the sides of people's houses, but it might be what is known as a "heat pump"? I don't know anything about such things...

The temperature around here typically ranges from +25 to -25 C, occasionally going past 30 at either end. I actually have a portable AC unit for my apartment (they wouldn't let me drill a hole in the wall to install a proper one even as I own the apartment) because it's south-facing (receiving sunlight all day) and this concrete building seems to retain the heat. It's loud and not very powerful, but just the dehumidifying effect is nice in summer. Why do people think that a south-facing apartment is a good selling argument?

No, the biggest problem is that my closet is tiny, I just need to get the hot air out. Alternatively, I could move to a bigger apartment so the machines can have a room of their own, but I kind of like not being in debt :-)

Current temperature: 0C with prospects of going to -2 tonight. Unusually warm for January.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:19 pm

I was all set to buy one but then made the mistake of reading the user reviews of the various portable room air conditioners that they sell at Home Despot which put the stop to that effort in short order. But if you like yours Classic I'm sure it will be more than good enough for me, what version is it?

Duck, heat pump do you mean swamp cooler? Those are awesome in arid environments but don't work for crap in humidity.

Current temp here is -4 degrees C on its way down to -11 later tonight, better take the dog for her walk before it gets too cold.
brr.gif
brr.gif (200 Bytes) Viewed 456 times
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:29 am

vishnu wrote:Duck, heat pump do you mean swamp cooler? Those are awesome in arid environments but don't work for crap in humidity.

No, I think it merely indicates that it can do both heating and cooling. In any event, I don't know so best not guess :-)

ItsMeOnly

Unread postby ItsMeOnly » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Code: Select all

rambo@dexter:~$ uptime
 08:44:14 up 298 days, 22:57,  3 users,  load average: 0,39, 0,25, 0,15

rambo@williams:~$ uptime
 08:38:09 up 192 days,  7:30,  2 users,  load average: 1,52, 1,15, 1,08

rambo@zimmer:~$ uptime
 08:18:11 up 192 days,  7:30,  1 user,  load average: 1,26, 1,21, 1,14

rambo@goldsmith:~$ uptime
 08:50:40 up 81 days, 22:57,  2 users,  load average: 1.88, 1.89, 1.87
:Indy: :O2:
Sun IPX, Mac 630, G4 Digital Audio, Amiga 1200T, HP Envizex a, A180, B132L.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 am

vishnu wrote:I was all set to buy one but then made the mistake of reading the user reviews of the various portable room air conditioners that they sell at Home Despot which put the stop to that effort in short order. But if you like yours Classic I'm sure it will be more than good enough for me, what version is it?

I think those reviews are based on unreasonable expectations. For the same power usage, a portable A/C will almost always be less efficient than a window-mounted unit, let alone a central system. If you're trying to use a portable A/C to cool a large uncontained space, it will use a lot of power and do a relatively lousy job. Plus, people don't do smart things like wrap the exhaust ducting, or they try tricks like lengthening the hose beyond the rated capacity (I, uh, may or may not have done this and may or may not have found out this was a bad idea), or they expect that a portable unit with a separate intake hose will work without it (they won't, because most portable A/Cs cause negative pressure in the room they operate).
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 pm

There are other creative solutions, depending on your environment, this may or may not be suitable...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720700

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:12 pm

After all that I didn't post the model. It's an LG LP1111WXR. The related LG LP1311BXR is mechanically identical.
smit happens.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”