ZyXEL firewall/routers

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: ZyXEL firewall/routers

Unread postby hamei » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:30 pm

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 am

hamei wrote:
skywriter wrote:bye hamei

get up in de mornin', bacon foh you breakfass, sah ...

We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

I came back one more post for a friend who adopted everything I had left sans SkyWriter. So dont feel like need to pile insult upon injury; I just don't care.

And just for the record the ZyXEL fire-wall routers are excellent and MODERN; anything else I would not delegate to the many relics folks suggested.

anyway bye for now, or forever, however it turns out; i'm happy.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 am

skywriter wrote:We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

Hey Sky - why don't you stay, and I can go ? You're a lot more of a computer person than me and you were here first anyhow. I do not have a problem with that. The fact is, my world is gone anyhow so what's the point of dragging it out forever ?

hasta luego, muchacho :D

jwp

Unread postby jwp » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Who cares what the brand name is? If it works, then it works. If it proves to be reliable, then great. I've had cheap D-Link wireless routers for the last 8 years at least, and they never fail or let me down. I never do any maintenance on them or need to reset them.

The same goes for a lot of PC hardware. I've seen many servers that are nothing but old business PC's running Linux, and they may have uptimes measured in years. They just keep working, so there is nothing to change. But I guess maybe the people who are interested in "big iron" need to justify it somehow. "Yes, I need hotswap redundant power supplies in case one goes out on me, and I can't post to Nekochan anymore!"

p.s. Nobody needs to "go away." We just need to be more civil with one another.
Debian GNU/Linux on a ThinkPad, running a simple setup with FVWM.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:47 pm

hamei wrote:
skywriter wrote:We used to be friends hamei, but you just turned into a jerk to me and treated me like everyone else you treat unfairly. I felt it had to be said after so many mail in requests for me to come back.

Hey Sky - why don't you stay, and I can go ? You're a lot more of a computer person than me and you were here first anyhow. I do not have a problem with that. The fact is, my world is gone anyhow so what's the point of dragging it out forever ?

chasta luego, muchacho :D
]

you do whatever you like, I have plenty of other pass times.

DECUS Member 368596

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

well since the moderators are in abstention; I deem this thread locked.
any further posting will be regarded as non-productive and subjected to discussion with the administrator.

DECUS Member 368596

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 am

4 years later I discovered my cable was supposed to be delivering 200mps, not the 6-10mps we always got. The culprit turned out to be the NETGEAR FVS813 (pick a version), was killing throughput - even though it stated 100mps. I replaced it with the much maligned ZyXel Zywall USG 20 and I'm getting full 200mps now. So, there you go for whatever it's worth. There's no substitute for experience.

oh, and it only takes a 1.5amps

DECUS Member 368596

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm

skywriter wrote:4 years later I discovered my cable was supposed to be delivering 200mps, not the 6-10mps we always got. The culprit turned out to be the NETGEAR FVS813 (pick a version), was killing throughput - even though it stated 100mps. I replaced it with the much maligned ZyXel Zywall USG 20 and I'm getting full 200mps now. So, there you go for whatever it's worth. There's no substitute for experience.

oh, and it only takes a 1.5amps

Well my AEBS 5th gen is still trucking since 2012. It had an update a few months ago so Apple is still supporting it.

The wireless is a small bottleneck with my internet speeds, it has trouble pushing beyond 70-100mbps even with LoS but my switch and synology are wired in for the full-on speed. (I have 300/50 but I'm also giving TWC nearly $80/mo :shock: )

Still a smitten kitten. Shame apple doesn't build them anymore. As far as IT equpment goes it's the best $160 I've ever spent.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Yeah, I have two of the old flat form factor Extreme’s, and two of the new tall boy Extremes. Plus my first Time capsule w/500mb. Also, one of the old airport express’s I used to take down to Disney to provide WiFi for the family. Sadly, when they installed their own WiFi they broke their network for personal WiFi adapter and their bandwidth plummeted since everyone was using it by then. It currently at my parent house replacing the crappy Comcast cable modem/router/switch/WiFi that would never connect to my mom’s laptop.

I use all Apple, Drobo RAID, or NETGEAR ReadyNAS RAID and switches. The NETGEAR FVS318 I used to use as router/firewall was OK when everyone in our town was on cable. But, when FIOS moved in cable available bandwidth soared and the ZyXel can handle it all with only 50% utilization.

DECUS Member 368596

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm

:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, as fond as I am of pointing this out (because I have, millions of times), my home LAN connects to the "outside world" using a Linux box with two NICS and a Broadcom wireless card (for connecting to my neighbor's wireless networks :twisted: ), the kernel (which I configured and compiled myself) is optimized as a router, and I wrote the configuration file for the Linux iptables firewall myself. With no other tweaking I regularly get download speeds approaching 500mb/second. It also acts as a dhcpd daemon to connect guest computers inside my LAN, and it runs bind-9.9.11_P1so my home LAN uses it as their default nameserver (upstream it's connected to opendns.org nameservers). In short, I would never connect my LAN to the outside world using a commercial router, fooey on that... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm

I don’t think anyone on this board doesn’t use firewall of some sort. I have two firewalls. But the Spectre attack clearly demonstrates that decades of ‘correct behavior’ can be corrupted by determined foes. As such, no matter what effort you have have expended if someone really wants in, they’ll get in. Your best defense is not to keep anything of value on a network. Sad huh?

As someone that used it for years after the first available distribution slackware 0.99pl12, I would never touch Linux again. It used to be like having an affordable sparcstation 1 with Sunview. Now it’s just garbage developed like Wikipedia is written.

I would rather buy a well documented inexpensive product, that undoubtedly has Linux in it but I don’t have to screw with that part. My ReadyNAS and probably Drobo are like that, and they have work flawlessly for years.
Last edited by skywriter on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DECUS Member 368596

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:36 pm

robespierre wrote:Smug Cisco IOS weenies take heed: https://tools.cisco.com/security/center ... 80129-asa1

There’s this simple lesson that engineers take years to decades to learn - complexity is bad. Sadly, most engineers don’t have the discipline to keep it simple enough to do the job, and most managers don’t understand when they’re forcing their engineers into unnecessary complexity. Also sadly, the tools to demonstrate the degree to which software “engineers” don’t understand all the implications of their code exists, but they’re too lazy to do the extra work: formal methods. Also, having experienced the exploits of many engineers I have to admit most of them should have been liberal arts majors instead. There were very few that knew what they were doing and what the company needed them to do, like less than 1%. The rest just chased each other’s bugs endlessly. Open source is no different.

Here’s a great example Intel doesn’t even have parity on many of their internal CPU buses. For a CPU architecture that punishes attempts to implement external datpaths that could provide correction, they conveniently forget to publish all of their single points of failure. And getting an answer to any question of this nature will take months. Even working with Japan I never had to wait that long. Ridiculous.

DECUS Member 368596

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”