Amazing: 3D Memory

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
GeneratriX
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina

Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue May 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Maybe not for you...

Transparent 3D Memory Chips To Replace Flash Drives

...but, at least for me, it looks interesting! :)

robespierre
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby robespierre » Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 pm

holographic memory seems to have been 5 years away for the last 20 years. the biggest problem is that it uses mechanical lenses and that limits the speed compared to true solid state storage. Fluorescent multilayer disc technology also looked promising but seems to have gone silent recently.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
GeneratriX
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

How much it will take for us, humans, to get all our digital data stored into some synthetic DNA Chain?

User avatar
guardian452
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm

robespierre wrote:holographic memory seems to have been 5 years away for the last 20 years. the biggest problem is that it uses mechanical lenses and that limits the speed compared to true solid state storage. Fluorescent multilayer disc technology also looked promising but seems to have gone silent recently.

From what I read, the memory is still electric; just happens to be transparent.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.

User avatar
GeneratriX
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

guardian452 wrote:From what I read, the memory is still electric; just happens to be transparent.


I was under such impression too, and thinking it further, after my reading I was under the impression that the Rice University was ready to market their project among the big companies... but hey, I'm just a reader like you or anyone else, so, I'm just especulating.

Of course if they afford to do it for real, it would be great... and I'm just thinking into some new-new hyper-big tablet plenty of computing resources, and things like that, without consideration of some Sci-Fi-Kind scenaries! :)

User avatar
[[C|-|E]]
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby [[C|-|E]] » Wed May 16, 2012 3:23 pm

GeneratriX wrote:How much it will take for us, humans, to get all our digital data stored into some synthetic DNA Chain?


Believe me, that would be veeery difficult :D
Image _Betty Blue_
R12000A 400 Mhz; 1 Gb RAM; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_REKIEM_I7_
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_REKIEM_T5400_
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x Geforce 4Gb GTX 970 / 1 x Geforce 1Gb GTX 750 / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_Raspberry Pi_
:|

User avatar
GeneratriX
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm

[[C|-|E]] wrote:Believe me, that would be veeery difficult :D


Just for us, humans, but not for THEM! :shock:
Feel free to add some kind of good future-related music to it: Leon Theremin Playing His Own Instrument, and pepermint it with the Most Awesome POV stuff! :P :P :P

User avatar
hazelden
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby hazelden » Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi GeneratriX.

Mechanically and visually speaking this is the most amazing POV device I have ever seen! I'm sure the embedded MCU powering it would be able to hold large amounts of data possibly exceeding 48KB of storage.

GeneratriX wrote: Just for us, humans, but not for THEM! :shock:
Feel free to add some kind of good future-related music to it: Leon Theremin Playing His Own Instrument, and pepermint it with the Most Awesome POV stuff! :P :P :P
Andrew Hazelden, VFX Artist
Personal Blog: www.AndrewHazelden.com

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD

User avatar
GeneratriX
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina

Re: Amazing: 3D Memory

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 pm

hazelden wrote:Hi GeneratriX.

Mechanically and visually speaking this is the most amazing POV device I have ever seen! I'm sure the embedded MCU powering it would be able to hold large amounts of data possibly exceeding 48KB of storage.


And by far! :P
...it looks amazing! That 3D-POV is a very good idea, getting closer and closer to a real useful display... time to increase the number of active elements, speed, and size! :)


Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron