Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 pm 

Tried to use a NeXT 256MB MO disk in a Sony 5.2GB MO unit (SMO-F551). Drive sucked the cartridge in and spun a while, then repeated and audible spin cycle again and again. Drive never mounted nor stopped spinning until I ejected the disk by pressing the eject button on the unit.
PDF and online docs for the Sony drive claim backward compatibility but mention 600MB as the lowest capacity compatible.
Is that NeXT disk only a vestige of past era of true computing? All info of the original NeXT (Canon) drives seems to point out they didn't live long.
Did my testing on a O2 running iRix 6.5.22. Drive was recognized by the OS and assigned it's icon on the desktop labeled as "optical".

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Well, if I recall correctly for awhile the 256mb was sort of a standard and I "think" there were a few different mechanisms that could read the 256mb format like sony, and panasonic. The 600mb drives came a few years later.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm 

The NeXT MO media is physically incompatible with practically every other MO mechanism. Look closely at the spindles.

The only non-Canon drive I've come across with the same spindle arrangement is the IBM 3363 (and the Matsushita mechanism it appears to be based on), which is a WORM drive and as such, obviously, won't read the disks either.