Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 pm 

First one that looks truly interesting .... hmmmm ..... no price yet tho

http://www.lemote.com/products/computer/yilong/312.html

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 am 

Looks kind of like a macbook pro without the apple logo :-)

It does look interesting though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 am 

hamei wrote:
supposed to be available in the middle of next month

Any sign of them actually being sold?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 am 

pierocks wrote:
Looks kind of like a macbook pro without the apple logo :-)

For an extra ten yuan we can add the logo of your choice :)

smj wrote:
Any sign of them actually being sold?

I'll have to check but probably not yet ... "on time" is not our middle name. Right now busy fighting with the city government. Assholes changed the regulations without telling anyone, now we're all paying the penalty fee. The bitch said to my face, "But we posted a notice online !" And then she pointed to a stack of penalty fees to other companies about six inches high, "Look, they had to pay the fine also !" Did it ever enter your pointy little head that if most of the people involved don't even know about this new regulation, there's something wrong ? Of course, that was the plan. Extortion, basically. People who do business with China are fools, same as doing business with Mickeysoft. If they didn't have a bunch of kittycats over here it would be an excellent place to experiment with a large thermonuclear device.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 am 

I've been eyeing the Loongson for quite a while now and I find it rather interesting. This is in an interesting package also.
Any sign of price figures?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 am 

ramq wrote:
I've been eyeing the Loongson for quite a while now and I find it rather interesting. This is in an interesting package also.
Any sign of price figures?

We'll wait until the end of the month and call them back again. It's the first Loongson-engined device that looked very interesting to me ... Everyone loves code names these days, did you know the original one for this processor was "dog shit" ? Seriously. How could you not love a cpu codenamed dogshit ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 am 

I have a buddy who refers to great but questionable things as "the cat's ass." The logic behind it being that if the cat is constantly licking it, it must be reaaaaally good... Usage:

"Hey Dave, I used local NFS mounts to make up for (ancient) SCO's lack of symlinks."
"Awesome, that's the cat's ass!"

hamei, is this by any chance local idiom that basically says, "the dog keeps eating it, so it must be really good?" Or is this just one of those Mysterious And Inscrutable situations...?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm 

I wouldn't trust a manufacturer that doesn't know how to scale pictures properly, it looks more like a mac mini converted to laptop, but when clicked it starts resembling some of laptops-that-we-know.
Anyway, it would be kinda cool addition to the set of other MIPS-y friends.
And about dog shit, hamei knows better, but I think it's pretty common in China, many of foreign products are named in such a way so that pronunciation is as close to the original - which then results in "interesting" meaning of those characters, rumor has it that coca-cola means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" - and finally after many yes they found another set of characters which means "happiness in the mouth", there was also something with KFC and biting your fingers off, but can't remember details, tough stuff huh ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm 

hehe this reminds me of my first meal here in china at a western restaurant, while reading the menu one interesting soup i found :)
its translated: "Fuck the cow river" something hehehe didn't try it coz from the name itself already ruined my appetite :) good thing they already removed it from their list ;)

as for loongson, also want to try one, looks interesting indeed, will keep an eye when its available, Chinese products really sometimes surprises you ;) i bought Meizu MX for my girl in HK? waah we both love it hehe after that, my iphone looks old ^^

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm 

rockers, what's that? are you finally getting a laptop that runs irix?

smj & geo: rofl

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm 

fu wrote:

yup! remember that O2 laptop from jumboprawn site? built by one of the engineer that designed the O2, that's why i named it after him hehe
sorry still got busy and was not able to take some decent photos.. also still didn't find a nice camera too.. but will buy soon like my friends FUJIFILM X10, really can get a nice sharp pictures hidden on a classic case :)

ok2 maybe ill borrow his first and take some shot somewhere this weekend and post here hehe only irix 6.3 inside, plan to upgrade everything from cpu,mem,hd, OS.. but will go through to those maze of assembly/dis-assembly again hehe but worth tho ;)

another chinese-english word bloopers: when i pass by some street there was a newly constructed building.. really here they build buildings just like building sand castles, very quick! hehe after done i read the big name outside: "CUBL and HOLTE" wahehe you know the right words ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:57 am 

smj wrote:
hamei, is this by any chance local idiom that basically says, "the dog keeps eating it, so it must be really good?" Or is this just one of those Mysterious And Inscrutable situations...?

In this case, it's sort of an old superstition. Chinese people often have baby names, and they are usually bad. The reasoning behind this is that if the flying people happen to overhear people talking about the child, they'll think it must be a real loser so they won't bother trying to steal it, bring bad luck, give it a mortal disease, or otherwise damage the little guy. Reverse psychology - if you name a project "Best Processor in the World, Going to Kick Intel's Fat Ass" then when it fails you look stupid. Call the project "dog shit" and when things don't go well, you can just blow off the criticism with "eh, that was just a little research project anyhow."

kubatyszko wrote:
I wouldn't trust a manufacturer that doesn't know how to scale pictures properly, it looks more like a mac mini converted to laptop, but when clicked it starts resembling some of laptops-that-we-know.

Considering China is involved, you can stop at word # 5 :) Trust is just not something you do here, ya know ?

Although between the American financial industry and the Chinese manufacturing industry, I'd have to go with China.

fu wrote:

In this case, no ... it will run MIPS Linux or maybe something else but not Irix.

Still, the specs are finally interesting. MIPS Linux and the Maxx Desktop would be about as close as we'll ever get to an Irix Laptop, I think. It's the first one of those Loongson things that looked interesting enough (to me anyhow) to follow up on. Stick a really hi resolution display on it and it could be fun ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:58 pm 

If you look at the Lemote BBS (in Chinese) you'll see that they were planning to release these last August, and then in September, and then in October. They ran some kind of contest to give a few away but I don't think they ever did.

As recently as March 1, employees of Lemote have been asking questions on the dri-devel mailing list trying to fix some sort of memory controller problem with the Radeon. I don't know if that's related to the 7~8 month hold up, but it probably doesn't help.

Also, Lemote has been rather crappy about actually getting code upstream where it belongs. I hope they'll be better about it this time around.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm 

In the meantime I've picked up a Thinkpad T400s, which is quite a nice lightweight bit of kit. It's no MacBook Air, but a huge change from the T61p I was using as a coffee table machine...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm 

smj wrote:
In the meantime I've picked up a Thinkpad T400s, which is quite a nice lightweight bit of kit. It's no MacBook Air, but a huge change from the T61p I was using as a coffee table machine...

Your new IBM will probably actually work. I wouldn't have that same hope for the yilong :D Mostly, it would be just a toy to mess around with. It will sort of work, kind of like most software these days.

mattst88, I wouldn't be too disturbed about them not uploading fixes. Most likely their fixes are worse than the problems.

I'll try to call them tomorrow, just for fun. Today is grave sweeping day so we are all out in the sunshine. Pretty outside, nice and warm.