Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:53 pm 

My LaserJet 5M is turning entire sheets of paper gray and I think I've figured out that the problem is the cartridge wiper blade. This happened a year or so ago and I replaced the cartridge with a "new" HP one but now I've had to replace that one for the same reason and cartridge #3 only lasted a few weeks before it started doing the same thing. Apparently the wiper blades go bad even when the cartridges are not being used and since HP stop making them years ago that would explain why "new" cartridges aren't lasting.

Its supposedly easy to replace the wiper blades but they don't seem to be so easy to find. That is unless I want to get a quote for 1,000+ of them from China. I had found a website and stupidly didn't bookmark it and haven't been able to find it again.

Does anyone know of a site to buy toner cartridge parts like these blades? I think the cartridge is the same for the HP LaserJet 4 and 5 (and my 5M which was the Mac version with PostScript SIMM and a Mac-style serial port).

Alternately, any recommendations for a place to buy a remanufactured cartridge? I'd been avoiding them but now that may be the only way to get a decent one.

I know this is one place where I won't get a response of " :shock: wow your printer is old! Just get a new one."

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:45 pm 

QuicksilverG4 wrote:
Does anyone know of a site to buy toner cartridge parts like these blades? I think the cartridge is the same for the HP LaserJet 4 and 5 (and my 5M which was the Mac version with PostScript SIMM and a Mac-style serial port).

I know this is one place where I won't get a response of " :shock: wow your printer is old! Just get a new one."

Damn damn damn. About two weeks ago I finally threw out the LaserJet 4. Had a bad fuser, I've been meaning to fix it for over two years. Replaced with a small-apartment-building-sized Xerox. If the cartridge was the same I'd have been happy to send it to you :(

Do you want the jetdirect network card ? If it will work in that model, happy to send it over ... part # 5182-4752 rev B

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:35 pm 

Thanks but I've got one :) I bought this printer a few years ago because I had the same one at work during 2005-2006 and I used it a LOT yet it only jammed on me about twice. It was replaced with a color Kyocera which was an absolute piece of junk. I gave that to someone else and I needed a scanner so I got some Toshiba all-in-one that was a terrible scanner and printer - maybe that's because it was marketed as a copier that happened to scan and print, not what I wanted. We must have had retarded purchasing staff that year and I hope we're back to HP. I finally gave up and used the network printers.

Anyway, I could buy another cartridge but I think I'd just run into the failed wiper blade problem again. Still have yet to find somewhere to buy a just one blade (or a few). The cartridge I have is the high capacity version and I'd really like to repair it rather than buy a rebuilt cartridge - of questionable quality.