Another sgi O2/Gentoo

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
noisetonepause

Re: Another sgi O2/Gentoo

Unread postby noisetonepause » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:37 am

hamei wrote:There's always common sense ... since Linux doesn't offer anything on the desktop, why would anyone change ?

So I'll stop nagging them!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 am

noisetonepause wrote: wow, linux hackers actually fix things ...

That is very cool. Now perhaps a few of the Linux hackers who fix things and enjoy SGI hardware could turn their talents to a USB mass storage driver ? Or anything else that would actually be useful ?

That would make those talented Linux hackers about as well-liked here as people such as dexter1, squeen, joerg, neko and the numerous others who actually contribute something worthwhile.

noisetonepause

Unread postby noisetonepause » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:15 am

But Linux has a USB mass storage driver?

(It even had USB2 support before anyone else)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 am

noisetonepause wrote:But Linux has a USB mass storage driver?

Whoooooooooooosh ! :P

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 am

hamei wrote:
noisetonepause wrote: wow, linux hackers actually fix things ...

That is very cool. Now perhaps a few of the Linux hackers who fix things and enjoy SGI hardware could turn their talents to a USB mass storage driver ? Or anything else that would actually be useful ?

That would make those talented Linux hackers about as well-liked here as people such as dexter1, squeen, joerg, neko and the numerous others who actually contribute something worthwhile.

It may be worthwhile then, to not antagonize those doing anything linux-related on SGI MIPS?
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 am

R-ten-K wrote:It may be worthwhile then, to not antagonize those doing anything linux-related on SGI MIPS?

Why ? Who cares what they do ? There's never been anything worthwhile that came out of the Linux-MIPS camp for SGI people and there most likely never will be. They may as well install Linux on their washing machines for all the good it does anybody.

noisetonepause

Unread postby noisetonepause » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 am

hamei wrote:They may as well install Linux on their washing machines for all the good it does anybody.

Funny you should say that - ever tried doing an ebay.de search for SGI?

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am

hamei wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:It may be worthwhile then, to not antagonize those doing anything linux-related on SGI MIPS?

Why ? Who cares what they do ? There's never been anything worthwhile that came out of the Linux-MIPS camp for SGI people and there most likely never will be. They may as well install Linux on their washing machines for all the good it does anybody.

... and that is their prerogative.

Some people like to work with linux, some people like MIPS HW, some people may not have access to Irix or just don't give a rat's ass about Irix. For tastes there are colors. I simply fail to see what exactly is wrong with someone working on porting another OS to old MIPS HW.

Lighten up...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Arabski

Unread postby Arabski » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

R-ten-K wrote:...
It may be worthwhile then, to not antagonize those doing anything linux-related on SGI MIPS?

Good point.

I really enjoy reading this forum and apprieciate the knowledge of people who write here. But this kind of attitude puzzles me. Why any of you should tell people who put their free time into developing some "useless" things like Linux for SGI, that they should do something else? It's their free time! I installed every OS that I could dig up on the Internet on my blue toaster. Why? Because I can. For the kicks. To try something new. I agree that for desktop environment it's a bad call, but if one wants to setup a webserver, fileserver, or anything else that does not require desktop environment, new alternative OSes for SGI make a difference. Patched, up to date with new software. Anyone can say the same about IRIX?

Another thing, is disticnt antagonism towards Linux in general, represented by *some* of the forum members. Where did it come from? In my humble opinion, Linux is the one of the greatest milestones of computing. And the reason why, is not that it's better than some AcmeOS, but the simple fact that it exists. And because it gives the alternative. It's development and progress are slow and bumpy, but it will get there - some day.

Consider the situtation, that it doesn't exist. What then? Microsoft everywhere? With progressing extinction of other proprietary Unices, it would be straight road. I am, myself, grateful that Linux exists. I prefer having an alternative for my "commodity hardware" than be condemned to Microsoft's monopoly.

And as a conlcusion - IRIX/SGI are dead! Face it. It's a shame, but in the same time it's a fact.
Image * Image

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am

Arabski wrote:setup a webserver, fileserver, or anything else that does not require desktop environment, new alternative OSes for SGI make a difference. Patched, up to date with new software. Anyone can say the same about IRIX?

I absolutely can - I run this very website under IRIX with "patched, up to date new software" (Apache, PHP, MySQL).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Arabski

Unread postby Arabski » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:13 am

I'll go OT:

I absolutely can - I run this very website under IRIX with "patched, up to date new software" (Apache, PHP, MySQL).

I know you do, but...

If one does not have OS? Gets only the hardware? What then? Can't afford to buy OS? What's the alternative? Steal it? Download from torrents?
Image * Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 am

Arabski wrote:Why any of you should tell people who put their free time into developing some "useless" things like Linux for SGI, that they should do something else? It's their free time!

Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that what once was an expensive workstation, available only to a select audience, is now a tinker toy for students and Linux hackers.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

mgtremaine

Unread postby mgtremaine » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am

I have only 2 comments 1) [As you say Hamei] Monoculture bad! No matter how terrible people think the Linux desktop experience is at least it is a choice and so long as people pour effort into it it keeps MS looking over their shoulders. With out that pressure we still have Windows ME ;P 2) You never know were the next good idea is going to come from. Perhaps some kid playing with an o2 + linux might think of something new and interesting that helps some other aspect. Maybe not.

-Mike

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am

Indeed, just because I don't use linux personally for various reasons doesn't mean I don't want it to 'succeed'. But at this point in time it doesn't appear to be heading in the right direction for my needs. I've been out of the loop for a while though.

Even if it doesn't benefit anybody else, it's good to see work being done on linux-mips, if only for the hell of it.

porter

Unread postby porter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm

hamei wrote:There's never been anything worthwhile that came out of the Linux-MIPS camp for SGI people and there most likely never will be.

I run Linux on a couple of PlayStation 2 machines. :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”