BeOS Max

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
kramlq
Donor
Donor

Re: BeOS Max

Unread postby kramlq » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:06 pm

It would probably make an ideal OS for my SGI VW320, which is a dual CPU media workstation from the same era.
Unfortunately the ARC PROM and proprietary devices on the VW320 rules BeOS and a lot of other OSes out :(

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:24 pm

kramlq wrote:It would probably make an ideal OS for my SGI VW320, which is a dual CPU media workstation from the same era.
Unfortunately the ARC PROM and proprietary devices on the VW320 rules BeOS and a lot of other OSes out :(

What about that whole virtualization scam? Could that help?
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

nekomusume

Unread postby nekomusume » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Frapazoid wrote:
kramlq wrote:It would probably make an ideal OS for my SGI VW320, which is a dual CPU media workstation from the same era.

Can you get virtualization stuff for nt? I though it only supported XP and above?

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Frapazoid wrote:

Yeah, there is probably a some emulator or virtual machine that might do it, but if going that route I may as well use a dual core multi GHz windoze box.

It just struck me that the BeOS demo mainly emphasised dual processor capabilities and digital media capabilities, which were also the main selling points of the VW320 back around then. It would have been nice to have BeOS natively ported to the VW320. I'd prefer to have BeOS on it even now instead of Windows 2000.

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 pm

BeOS will would been good on the vw320.

thegoldbug

Unread postby thegoldbug » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I have a big thick book called the BEOS BIble in near mint condition. It "covers version R4 of BeOS on Intel/PowerPC".

Written by Scot Hacker. 916 pages of knowledge.

Pay for shipping and it's yours.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

Be nice to run a BeOS on VWS, but keep in mind that BeOS MAX and BeOS DevEd are all based around the BeOS5 PE binary, and so are uniproc.

Hmm- belay that- looks like they are integrating some code from Haiku. It might be SMP-capable. Then again, it might not, and you've got the ARCS bit to fix.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

virtualsim

Unread postby virtualsim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:04 am

Would Apple still be in business if Gassé had accepted their 200 millions offer?

(They got NeXT for 400 M$ instead, which in retrospect was worth it for their shareholders)

What does the alternate universe with BeOS Apple machines looks like?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
:Octane2: :O2:

nekomusume

Unread postby nekomusume » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:30 am

virtualsim wrote:Would Apple still be in business if Gassé had accepted their 200 millions offer?

(They got NeXT for 400 M$ instead, which in retrospect was worth it for their shareholders)

What does the alternate universe with BeOS Apple machines looks like?

I'd say they'd look alot like the bebox, the UI will prob look abit more mac like and would be slow as. since its widely seen as Steve Jobs who got the deal with IBM to get the 970's for the G5 line, I feel that if Gassé was given control, Apple would end like Be inc did.
As much as he can be a nasty person to the staff at apple, Steve is the reason that apple is still here.

Also do you think that without Jobs, Iconic design would be a part of apples plan?

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:57 pm

It doesn't matter because Apple really paid to get Steve Jobs back. You can't buy PR for a troubled company than that. And the NeXT stuff was pretty goof, too.

BeOS userd like to lament that Apple should have gone with BeOS instead but they are comparing BeOS R5 with what NeXT had. BeOS back then was far more primative; barely had networking, no printing framework and a UI that needed lots of love. For all that, you have gotten a far moe advanced NeXT, which they chose.

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 pm

BeOS did nothing really fast... :roll:

Gassee was a gredy buffon, he wanted $200 Million for an OS sans application or user base to speak of. Apple called his bluff, end of story...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Arie van Schutterhoef

Unread postby Arie van Schutterhoef » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm

>end of story...
-Not entirely: they (Be) started to work on their 'internet appliances', untill the (internet) bubble burst...

AvS

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Be was pretty much dead by the time Palm bought them. The appliance they had was half assed at best.

Gasse just tried to swindle money with whatever was the cool sounding phrase of the week:

mid 90s: multimedia -> BeOS was the "media OS"
late 90s: internet -> BeOS was the "internet OS"

nevermind that its TCPIP stack sucked big donkey rocks. I tried BeOS, it was neat in the sense that it could boot really fast. Other than that I got bored with it. I think it was cool that the PPC version include the metrowerks compilers, though.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

noisetonepause

Unread postby noisetonepause » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:07 pm

I love it. It's the best OS ever. The interface is brilliant. It multitasks better than any system I've ever seen and it's all modular and transparent and lovely.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:15 am

noisetonepause wrote: It multitasks better than any system I've ever seen

Then you haven't looked at many.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”