BeOS Max

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Gray Fox

BeOS Max

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Anyone here still use BeOS? I see they are still making updated versions on BeOS Max. I'm going to try it tonight. The last version I use was the one that installing in windows and had hardware limits.

porter

Re: BeOS Max

Unread postby porter » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:03 am

Gray Fox wrote:Anyone here still use BeOS?

I did a compilation on mine just a couple of days ago. :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

SupremeCmdr

Unread postby SupremeCmdr » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:31 am

Got it running dual boot on my Dell Inspiron.

Even have the PCMCIA network card working in it.

I've been meaning to mess around with Haiku on it as well but it looks like the DVD drive is going on the Dell so I am afraid to mess around with it too much. :oops:
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:11 am

Know what stops me? The memory leak in FireFox. After 45 minutes my system becomes unusable. Someone on #haiku helpfully suggested I closed my browser every 30 minutes :roll:

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:18 am

Got 2 triple-boot systems, BeOS is on one of them.

Fun system, but like NeXTSTEP it's starting to show its age as far as drivers go.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

toxygen

Unread postby toxygen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:27 am

link to this video appeard few weeks ago on slashdot: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4

I suggest everyone should see it :)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org

shyouko

Unread postby shyouko » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:07 pm

I'm amazed by how much the two P2 266 can do! :shock:

Awesome engineering for those guys who were in the Be Inc. 8-)

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:39 pm

toxygen wrote:link to this video appeard few weeks ago on slashdot: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4

I still have two of the Be shirts and my GF just asked the other day: Be ... what?

I kind of miss my BeBox sometimes. But then there are times to let go and move on...
I enjoyed it while it lasted, initial releases were very good but there was some turning point, something happened... I don't know what... but the OS went downhill from there..

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

nekomusume

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:05 pm

regan_russell wrote:I kind of miss my BeBox sometimes. But then there are times to let go and move on...
I enjoyed it while it lasted, initial releases were very good but there was some turning point, something happened... I don't know what... but the OS went downhill from there..

Regan

wasnt it more that the initial releases were meant to dazzle Apple into buying Be?. then after that failed, the planed retreat into the intel market didnt go as planed, (in terms of amount of hardware to support and lack of vendor support) leaving them as a unsupported 3rd party OS (kinder like os/2) so they kinder gave up?

reid

Unread postby reid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:20 pm

toxygen wrote:link to this video appeard few weeks ago on slashdot: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4

Thanks for the link-

Quite interesting
Sun Enterprise 420R: 4X450Mhz UltraSparc II, 4gb ram, Solaris
Sun Ultra 5: 360Mhz UltraSparc IIi, 256mb ram, OpenBSD

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:11 pm

nekomusume wrote:
regan_russell wrote:I kind of miss my BeBox sometimes. But then there are times to let go and move on...

Regan

wasnt it more that the initial releases were meant to dazzle Apple into buying Be?. then after that failed, the planed retreat into the intel market didnt go as planed, (in terms of amount of hardware to support and lack of vendor support) leaving them as a unsupported 3rd party OS (kinder like os/2) so they kinder gave up?

Ya more likely. They had there own custom powerpc computer with BeOS on it. But BeOS looks like Mac OS 8/9

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:35 pm

I just got done watching the video. Nice demo of it. For its time, it's good. Plus what the BeOS is running on in the demo. Dual P2 266MHz, 64MB, 3GB HDD, TV Card, Unknown Video Card. Not bad.

tillin9
Location: New York, NY / Westport, CT / #mupen64plus on freenode

Unread postby tillin9 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:49 pm

The video is nice. BeOS was much more advanced than Linux/ Mac OS at the time. However, some of the demonstration is a bit of a cheat.

First, those Hauppage cards do a lot of the video work themselves. I'm also assuming the WinTV model (a.k.a low-end) like the one I have in my PIII, there are ones from that era which have much more video acceleration support, like VLD, iDCT, and MC usually used for MPEG 1/2 decoding and encoding. With one of those you can watch TV and play video with virtually no CPU or memory use. Its not completely the level of the O2 with streaming OpenGL textures, but very close. With mine I can watch TV and have the CPU play a video without much slowdown, so I can still IM or surf. Since the stress demo was limited to 2 streams, and 2 videos, I'm thinking maybe they cheated with the high-end card.

Second, the majority of those 3D textures are hardware accelerated with a mid-to high end video card from the era. I would bet it was a Matrix Millenium II or better card, which could handle small, non-FSAA 3D with ease.

While the desktop was responsive, so is 4Dwm, fluxbox, or the Win95 desktop. Id be more impressed if they could match that responsiveness with an Aqua/ Compiz/ Areo like desktop.

That said, the ability to dynamically turn off one of the CPUs, and some of the demo apps, if they were actual APIs and not just one-off hacks, are nice. A 3D mixer like that for Linux would be cool, thought the effects are easily done easily using JACK. And a decent video editor, Cinelerra is a not ready for end users, would also be nice. I like and use Avidemux as a VirtualDub for Linux for more than I really should.

However, besides the CPU thing, I know modern linux can do everything in that demo. As far as responsiveness, lets see what a release based on the CF scheduler can do. My KDE desktop is feeling a tad sluggish, hehe. So I probably will compile a new 2.6.23 kernel when it comes out. I'm lazy and using a non-optimized kernel, X.org, and KDE right now mainly since compiling X.org and KDE is a pain.

The worst part of the demo was I kept hearing The BeOS as "The BO" S. and kept thinking maybe their developers were working a little too hard and needed a shower. :P You'd think they would just refer to it as Be.
Finally, did the CEO remind you of Christopher Walken?

Sorry for being silly.

nekomusume

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:21 pm

tillin9 wrote:The video is nice. BeOS was much more advanced than Linux/ Mac OS at the time. However, some of the demonstration is a bit of a cheat.

I agree, plus it looked too polished to be the intel edition that if my memory serves me right was rather ruff.

tillin9 wrote:First, those Hauppage cards do a lot of the video work themselves. I'm also assuming the WinTV model (a.k.a low-end) like the one I have in my PIII, there are ones from that era which have much more video acceleration support, like VLD, iDCT, and MC usually used for MPEG 1/2 decoding and encoding. With one of those you can watch TV and play video with virtually no CPU or memory use. Its not completely the level of the O2 with streaming OpenGL textures, but very close. With mine I can watch TV and have the CPU play a video without much slowdown, so I can still IM or surf. Since the stress demo was limited to 2 streams, and 2 videos, I'm thinking maybe they cheated with the high-end card.

Second, the majority of those 3D textures are hardware accelerated with a mid-to high end video card from the era. I would bet it was a Matrix Millenium II or better card, which could handle small, non-FSAA 3D with ease.

It might have been, I recall S3 cards being better supported though, Didnt the BeBox come with a S3 Trio64/S3 ViRGE?

tillin9 wrote:While the desktop was responsive, so is 4Dwm, fluxbox, or the Win95 desktop. Id be more impressed if they could match that responsiveness with an Aqua/ Compiz/ Areo like desktop.

That said, the ability to dynamically turn off one of the CPUs, and some of the demo apps, if they were actual APIs and not just one-off hacks, are nice. A 3D mixer like that for Linux would be cool, thought the effects are easily done easily using JACK. And a decent video editor, Cinelerra is a not ready for end users, would also be nice. I like and use Avidemux as a VirtualDub for Linux for more than I really should.

However, besides the CPU thing, I know modern linux can do everything in that demo. As far as responsiveness, lets see what a release based on the CF scheduler can do. My KDE desktop is feeling a tad sluggish, hehe. So I probably will compile a new 2.6.23 kernel when it comes out. I'm lazy and using a non-optimized kernel, X.org, and KDE right now mainly since compiling X.org and KDE is a pain.

The worst part of the demo was I kept hearing The BeOS as "The BO" S. and kept thinking maybe their developers were working a little too hard and needed a shower. :P You'd think they would just refer to it as Be.
Finally, did the CEO remind you of Christopher Walken?

Sorry for being silly.

Wasnt Jean-Louis Gassée Apples ex head of development and one of the people who started the copland mess?

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:29 pm

nekomusume wrote:It might have been, I recall S3 cards being better supported though, Didnt the BeBox come with a S3 Trio64/S3 ViRGE?

If I recall correctly.. Mine didn't come with a Trio64, I had to go out a buy one.
If I recall there were a limited number of cards supported and that was the only the shop downstairs had at the time.

nekomusume wrote:Wasnt Jean-Louis Gassée Apples ex head of development and one of the people who started the copland mess?

Yup.

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”