Playstation 3 Dissected

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dubhthach

Playstation 3 Dissected

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 am

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1111/ps3.htm?www.reghardware.co.uk
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908&www.reghardware.co.uk

You queue all week to get your hands on one and what's first thing ye do other then play any games, is take it apart and hope to god ye don't break anything :roll:

I see US launch is in next week or so, however us lot in Europe have to wait until March pfff
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

foetz

Re: Playstation 3 Dissected

Unread postby foetz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:42 am

Dubhthach wrote:I see US launch is in next week or so, however us lot in Europe have to wait until March pfff

wait until march? whys that?

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:44 am

foetz wrote:
Dubhthach wrote:I see US launch is in next week or so, however us lot in Europe have to wait until March pfff

Because Sony has pushed the official launch date for Europe until March, i know you could try import from the US/Japan but I heard something recently about the eurocrats bringing in new laws to clamp down on that.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 am

Dubhthach wrote:You queue all week to get your hands on one and what's first thing ye do other then play any games, is take it apart and hope to god ye don't break anything :roll:

So, if just by magic you would find one under your X-mas tree next month - would you dissect it or play :twisted:
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:57 am

Oskar45 wrote:
Dubhthach wrote:You queue all week to get your hands on one and what's first thing ye do other then play any games, is take it apart and hope to god ye don't break anything :roll:

So, if just by magic you would find one under your X-mas tree next month - would you dissect it or play :twisted:

Awh well different story there, not like i'm paying for it myself. :lol: however as there are 12days to christmas i think i'd dedicate the first 10 to playing then when i get bored i might have a look under the hood, so to speak.

It be interesting to see how Blu-ray player prices start to drop when sales of PS3 get into full swing.

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Could make a fine workstation if you put linux on it, or not. The games are more of the same, but purtier.

I think I will stick to my peecee for gaming. :)

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:56 pm

who want's one from the first batch anyway? let them sort out the production flaws and have the jap and ami early adopters pay for it :P the machine looks quite nifty so far however there are no decent titles out atm.

upside of the release is that at work they have no use for ps2 devkits anymore, just snatched one. the ps3 dev-unit is too bulky to carry home anyway. :)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Dubhthach wrote:
foetz wrote:

Because Sony has pushed the official launch date for Europe until March, i know you could try import from the US/Japan but I heard something recently about the eurocrats bringing in new laws to clamp down on that.

that's old. a few years ago when the ps2 launched there even was an export prohibition in japan. anyway as always it didn't work :D
however i'll grab a revolution (wii) first. ps3 maybe later next year ...

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:53 pm

GIJoe wrote:who want's one from the first batch anyway? let them sort out the production flaws and have the jap and ami early adopters pay for it :P the machine looks quite nifty so far however there are no decent titles out atm.

upside of the release is that at work they have no use for ps2 devkits anymore, just snatched one. the ps3 dev-unit is too bulky to carry home anyway. :)

Dang. I wish I could get one of those things. That would be a lot of fun.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:12 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:Could make a fine workstation if you put linux on it, or not. The games are more of the same, but purtier.

I think I will stick to my peecee for gaming. :)

Indeed Sony released their kernel patches for Linux there the other day and Yellowdog (Fedora respined for PPC basically) have announced they'll be selling their distro for PS3 using Enlightenment 17 no less as their gui

angora

Unread postby angora » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:29 am

Dubhthach wrote:It be interesting to see how Blu-ray player prices start to drop when sales of PS3 get into full swing.

....Or see how Blue-ray players become non-existent just like Betamax.

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:33 am

I think the problem with Blu-Ray is the price of the laser diodes. The yield on those, last I checked, was shitty. Consistency of wavelength was off, too.

wickedlasers is even selling damn blu-ray penlights for $2000 each. The jaw-dropper in all of that: They TAKE THE FUCKING DIODES OUT OF BLU-RAY PLAYERS!

I hope they're keeping the players for those later dates where the diodes will ultimately be common and they'll have a hundred or so brand new high-end players to sell off.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:03 pm

....Or see how Blue-ray players become non-existent just like Betamax.
Don't diss betamax. I still use one on an everyday basis :lol:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm waiting to buy the PS3 because as a rule, I never buy version 1.0 of anything.

TaoTeCheese

Unread postby TaoTeCheese » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm

zizban wrote:I'm waiting to buy the PS3 because as a rule, I never buy version 1.0 of anything.

I'll second that! I bought my ps1 three months after launch, and ended up with tremendous overheating problems. My ps2 came along after it had been out for two years, and still runs perfectly. (I heard early adopters had some of the same problems as with the ps1)

Besides, I'm flat broke, too...

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”