Microsoft Unix

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Frapazoid

Microsoft Unix

Unread postby Frapazoid » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:07 pm

So someone pointed out Microsoft Services for Unix, and I installed it, and I love it.

This is the sort of shit that makes computers so much fun; Totally screwing around. I had Bash running and a complete Unix subsystem on my Windows 2000 PC (which I already got Ext2 drivers for), but that wasn't enough. I installed an X server (Xming), a window manager (FVWM) and Unix Gimp and I had a total Unix thing going pretty quick.

It's times like this I wish I was a scientist or an engineer or something so I could do something "workstationy" with all my computers.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

regan_russell

Microsoft Unix

Unread postby regan_russell » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Microsoft was in the UNIX business before DOS and I though their stuff was fairly decent. In its time XENIX was probably the most popular UNIX around.. That, 386BSD and shareware inspired me to start to code my own UNIX and then someone handed me Linux on 50 floppies..

I though legally MSFT was baned from re-entering the UNIX space, maybe this is a backdoor for them.

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

pipeline

Re: Microsoft Unix

Unread postby pipeline » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 pm

regan_russell wrote:That, 386BSD and shareware inspired me to start to code my own UNIX and then someone handed me Linux on 50 floppies.

Microsoft sold XENIX to SCO about ten years before 386BSD was a twinkle in anyone's eye.

regan_russell wrote:I though legally MSFT was baned from re-entering the UNIX space, maybe this is a backdoor for them.

This was never the case. They got out of the UNIX space because MS-DOS and accompanying products turned out to be much more profitable than they had expected.

Frapazoid wrote:So someone pointed out Microsoft Services for Unix, and I installed it, and I love it.

Sadly, as fast and well-thought-out as SFU is, software availability really just sucks out loud. NetBSD pkgsrc only helps a little bit.

Have you tried colinux as an alternative?

eventhorizon

Unread postby eventhorizon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:55 pm

pipeline wrote:This was never the case. They got out of the UNIX space because MS-DOS and accompanying products turned out to be much more profitable than they had expected.

Also some of the Xenix code seems to have been used in initial NT development, and the main evidence is one of the Windows error messages - "The instruction at ___ referenced memory at ___. The memory could not be 'read' " - this same error message is in Xenix.

pipeline wrote:Sadly, as fast and well-thought-out as SFU is, software availability really just sucks out loud.

Have you tried the MinGW environment? It's far better.

-eventhorizon

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Frapazoid wrote:I had Bash running and a complete Unix subsystem on my Windows 2000 PC (which I already got Ext2 drivers for), but that wasn't enough. I installed an X server (Xming), a window manager (FVWM) and Unix Gimp and I had a total Unix thing going pretty quick.

wow, that sux :D

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 pm

foetz wrote:wow, that sux :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:44 am

eventhorizon wrote:
Also some of the Xenix code seems to have been used in initial NT development, and the main evidence is one of the Windows error messages - "The instruction at ___ referenced memory at ___. The memory could not be 'read' " - this same error message is in Xenix.

I doubt there is any Xenix code in NT, however it seems that during most of the 80s most of the development systems at Microsoft were Xenix-based. At least a big chunk of their development/compilation infrastructure was based on Xenix and VAX machines. Rumour has it that DOS up to 4.x was developed/compiled on VAXen. Allen seemed to have quite the softspot for DEC PDP machines, he was hosting a bunch of PDP related sites on an actual DECSytem machine. Tres cool....
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:44 am

Actually, I have the MingW environment installed already as well, if you mean MSys, but I haven't really done that much with it, I was mainly using it for development; I wanted to compile straight win32 applications and the Dev Studio Express was making me include a half dozen DLL files with every program :roll: And also for use with SDL and OpenGL, MingW is quite nice.

I'm actually using the Ming X server to run the SFU programs.

foetz wrote:wow, that sux :D

That reminds me of when I showed it to my girlfriend;

It looks ugly.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:44 am

Frapazoid wrote:It's times like this I wish I was a scientist or an engineer or something so I could do something "workstationy" with all my computers.

Don't really understand this...you already had an Octane. Why was it so much more "real" for you under WIndows?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:50 am

Frapazoid wrote:

It looks ugly.

Most women say the same thing - with time it'll grow on her.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:19 am

squeen wrote:Don't really understand this...you already had an Octane. Why was it so much more "real" for you under WIndows?

It doesn't, but I got the same feeling from the Octane, and since I just did this, now it feels fresh.

Plus it's the added bonus of not just having something workstationy, but modding Windows to better tie into my other two computers which are both technically Unix (OSX and IRIX) so now I have NFS on everything. So now I wanna do something that can make better use of the networking and interop stuff.

Like make a cluster processing daemon to do _________________ and have a visualization program on my Octane that runs, but shows up on my Windows computers, so I can use it and do ________ while I also do ______ at the same time, which obviously requires I be running Windows.

Now to fill in the blanks :P

Most women say the same thing - with time it'll grow on her.

I dunno, now she's using my Mac.

zahal

Unread postby zahal » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:21 am

Frapazoid wrote:

It looks ugly.

Hmm...they usually tell me "IT"S HUGE". :lol:
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX - Crossbeam C12

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 am

:lol:

gcb

Unread postby gcb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm

one job required me to use windows. I spent most of the time with a ssh windows doing work on my coworker linux machine...

eventualy i felt in love with http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

windows get's almost usable.

(the only point windows STILL wins over every other plataform, is that it runs miranda-im!)

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:52 pm

R-ten-K wrote: however it seems that during most of the 80s most of the development systems at Microsoft were Xenix-based. At least a big chunk of their development/compilation infrastructure was based on Xenix and VAX machines. Rumour has it that DOS up to 4.x was developed/compiled on VAXen.

For quite a while, they had 2 (I think) DECsystem-20s running TOPS-20 if I recall properly.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”