"Intergraph ZX10" problem with AGP Pro / Wildcat 7110

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrWeedster

"Intergraph ZX10" problem with AGP Pro / Wildcat 7110

Unread postby MrWeedster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 am

Hi.

I have some sort of Franken-ZX10 built on base of a Tyan Thunder 2500 (s1867), which is the board of the intergraphs. I also flashed the SGI Bios on it, which is running great.

Now i wanted to add graphics, and bought a Wildcat 7110 AGP Pro.

Got the card, dropped it in: No output on the monitor, but a BIOS beep, that the GFX is not working (AMI BIOS: 1 long, 2 short beeps). Ok, maybe the card is broken. Contactet the seller: He got another one which he would test and send to me.

I got the "new" and tested card today: Same error. Since this is my only machine with an AGP Pro port (except the prism, but i think that wont work) i dont know what to do next.

Now my question is if its maybe the matter that the AGP Pro port doesnt provide enough current to get a dual GPU card running.

Besides this i have no clue what could be wrong.

Do you have any idea?

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Re: "Intergraph ZX10" problem with AGP Pro / Wildcat 7110

Unread postby GL1zdA » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 am

The Wildcat4 7110 is AGP Pro 50 so it should get enough power from the board. But I'm not sure the board can supply the correct voltage. I think the Wildcat4 might need 1.5V and the board supplies 3.3V.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 am

MrWeedster wrote:Now my question is if its maybe the matter that the AGP Pro port doesnt provide enough current to get a dual GPU card running.

System requirements, after a bit of Googling, mention 50 W of required power and AGP 8x.

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/3dlabs-wildcat4-7110-graphics-card-256mb/10336809.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port#Power_consumption

The limits look tight indeed.
ImageImage

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:50 am

This might not be a welcome suggestion but I'd recommend another model of Wildcat. I used a 7110 in a Dell P4 workstation for a while and it eventually broke, giving similar symptoms to the ones you've described: blank screen and BIOS error beeps on boot. Not a very reliable board.

The ZX10 systems originally came with 4000-series Wildcat cards (4110 & 4210) so a 4000/5000 model would be more period correct and probably more robust. They're not hard to find on eBay.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”