Talos Secure Workstation

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
HurricaneJames

Re: Talos Secure Workstation

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 pm

First, a caveat, I build websites for a living and dabble in modern VR and vintage SGIs as my current hobbies, so my needs are fairly sparse. I love the security aspect of it, and that it is as close to owning a modern machine as you can get. However, I'm left wondering what to do with it. I suppose it could make for a decent server for the security conscious, but what else?
:320: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

HurricaneJames wrote:However, I'm left wondering what to do with it.

I'm sure CHC can fill us in on the details, but I was under the impression that it ran standard PPC linux?

"open" is very different from being supported by more than two or three distros tho. Look at vs320 support, and that is x86 based!

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 pm

The major part of the added cost was the workstation video card. The rest of it was pretty close to retail, so I just threw it all in so it can come ready to go.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Extremely tempting product, would probably go with the 2 CPU bundle and add in the rest of the parts. I very much like the 100% free software aspect of it, though even at it's current (very good) price, the price of any high-end computing hardware can be hard to stomach. The CPUs are surprisingly cheap, but that makes sense seeing as IBM is a big company and is likely producing a decent quantity of them.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Dodoid wrote:The CPUs are surprisingly cheap

Is this pair of chips competitive on a performance basis with e.g. the new AMD Threadripper?

Board and chips are about double what a new TR4 system costs. I doubt it's double the performance, but if it's on par at least... This board looks a ton nicer than the current selection of TR4 boards (tho I know looks don't count for much...) I bet this one has a much longer lifespan, too. I've been missing having a real workstation ever since I sold the cheesegrater mac pro.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”