Imwheel for Irix- ported! download link in thread

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
evil ppc

Imwheel for Irix- ported! download link in thread

Unread postby evil ppc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:29 pm

Hey everyone! Has anyone ported imwheel (allows scrolling via mouse wheel in motif apps like FileManager) or equivalent to Irix? If not I'd be willing to port it if there was a demand.
Last edited by evil ppc on Mon May 08, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:32 pm

Sounds cool. Neko had an old news item on how to get a wheel mouse working on IRIX I think.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm

dude! i'd DIE for a way to have the scrollwheel working in filemanager et al!

squeen: i think you're reffering to the nvram pcmouse setting. that makes irix aware of additional buttons and scrollwheel but it doesn't make the thing magically work everywhere.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:14 pm

GIJoe wrote:dude! i'd DIE for a way to have the scrollwheel working in filemanager et al!

squeen: i think you're reffering to the nvram pcmouse setting. that makes irix aware of additional buttons and scrollwheel but it doesn't make the thing magically work everywhere.
Doesn't work everywhere, but it works well with firefox... IIRC it worked with fm too...

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:20 pm

no, definitely not FM. well, not with the intellimouse anyway. yes browsers et all usually work, even the old netscape 4.x. but firefox is not motif, it's gtk or isn't it?

seems imwheel handles sidebuttons as well which would be handy. because at least over here the sidebuttons show really weird behaviour under IRIX with the pcmouse setting. unusable in the current state.

GeneratriX

Re: Imwheel for Irix

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 pm

evil ppc wrote:Hey everyone! Has anyone ported imwheel (allows scrolling via mouse wheel in motif apps like FileManager) or equivalent to Irix? If not I'd be willing to port it if there was a demand.

Sure!; Sounds really interesting to have a new generation optical mouse with scroll wheel working on NEdit! And of course, FileManager will love it too! ;)

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:06 pm

Well that settles that then :-). I'll start on it next week.

squeen et al- The neko tip enables the scroll wheel to work for scroll wheel aware apps only (the neko tip would be required to be done before imwheel would function correctly). Motif apps don't recognise scroll wheel events so the trick is to use Xsgi to map Zaxis +- to buttons four and five (or greater if you have a mouse that has more buttons) it can then send the appropriate pgup/pgdwn events to the app (like filemanager). This is how I understand it works; so the scroll wheel works great in neko firefox and neko nedit but doesn't work at all in regular nedit, filemanager, swmgr, etc which are plain vanilla motif apps.

GeneratriX

C00L!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:46 pm

Cool!!!; I'll be looking forward to install it on my systems! ;)

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Sun May 07, 2006 6:40 am

Muwhahaha! Ported! It took about 10hrs or so, but I now have a working version of imwheel for Irix. So far the only thing that fails to work properly is the config box, but I have entered presets by hand for FileManager, Software Manager, nedit dialog box, etc. So I'm going to go to sleep here soon (its 6:34am ) but tomorrow when I awake (read, evening) I'll post a tarball and instructions to this thread, and then hopefully we can begin the testing spree so I can work out any additional kinks, so check back around 6:30pm PST Sunday evening if you are interested. :D

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Sun May 07, 2006 12:20 pm

That is very cool. Thankyou!

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Mon May 08, 2006 12:40 am

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon May 08, 2006 3:32 am

Thanks! Will give it a try.

GeneratriX

Wheel!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon May 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Thanks a lot!; I'll give it a try soon. Any recommendation about which brand/model for a well tested IRIX compatible Wheel Mouse to get?
Best regards,
Diego

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon May 08, 2006 3:06 pm

very cool! i added a few other apps to the imwheelrc, most notably AcroRead, feels much better browsing PDF's with a scrollwheel. :)

now, i'm no gearhead and thus here come those inevitable stupid questions: i'm using an intellimouse explorer 4 with 5 buttons and a 4-way scrollwheel. how would i go about telling filemanager to use the left-right-functionality of my scrollwheel for.. well, scrolling left and right.
and another one: i also added IconCatalog. but there, with the standard up/down entries it does flip through the pages, kinda cool but not what i wanted.

care to explan a little? i admit i often get nasty green and purple rash when i spot a manpage somewhere. ;)

oh and i hope you are aware that you just upgraded the user experience in 4dwm significantly. probably more than what we could have expected from an IRIX 7 release.

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Mon May 08, 2006 5:26 pm

GeneratriX- Pretty much every scroll wheel mouse that's PS/2 compatible works well under irix. I myself have a Sony mouse USB-PS/2 because I had to match my sony flats (anal, I know :D ). I'd say get one depending on your personal taste, as long as it's PS/2.

GIJoe- Excellent, I'm glad it's working well for you! I know there are a few things left for me to tweak, and I'm going to try to turn it into a tarball so we can have the manpage. As for scrolling left/right, that is tricky. No support for left/right scrolling is currently in imwheel, also Xsgi doesn't support left/right wheel scrolling to my knowledge, so I'd have to acquire one of these mice and do some heavy customization. The other kink is that there would need to be a pgup/pgdwn equivalence for left/right scrolling, and I don't think there is. As for the Icon catalog issue this is its default behavior with pgup pgdwn, try seeing what keys scroll (i'll look into this this evening) the viewport and change .imwheelrc to correspond.

keep the bug reports coming... :D

Return to “IRIX and Software”