Imwheel for Irix- ported! download link in thread

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:17 am

Happy to report the steps outlined by evil ppc and the link neko provided (along with a reboot), have solved my problems.

I am now scrolling with the best of them. :D
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:14 am

Spidy- Great to hear!

I just noticed, whilst working with imwheel that the preferences widget displays the display class for any selected window hence providing the name used to create custom minimization icons. Very cool extra use!

Arti77

Unread postby Arti77 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:36 am

Thanks for your reply evil ppc, I'll give it a go
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm willing to help out with a tardist as well if you can supply the source patches. This is definitely a package that would be welcome in Nekoware.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:06 am

Neko- I'm glad you like it and appreciate the help. Everyday I've had free time to work on Irix ports it has been > 100F and hence too hot to boot the Onyx2. As of right now (since I'm new to the porting business) I just manually edited the source files. Could you tell me how to/point me to a good source to create a patch? Once I do that I can see about making a tar dist. A few weeks ago I played around with the package maker program and it seemed useable, so between you and squeen I should be able to do this. Thanks again!

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:33 am

{SPIN} wrote:Many thanks to evil ppc for porting this. Not having scroll support in fm has been a complaint of mine forever.

I noticed as soon as I installed the right-click on the desktop behaved differently. The right click menu only appears for a split second then goes away. Not a big deal but wanted to mention it.

I get the same behaviour, the right click menu doesn't stay up if you keep the mouse button down or just click it briefly.

This is only on the desktop. If I navigate to the desktop folder (.desktophost...etc ) and right click on the CDROM to get the eject menu it works.
Last edited by ruckusman on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:42 pm

evil ppc wrote:Neko- I'm glad you like it and appreciate the help. Everyday I've had free time to work on Irix ports it has been > 100F and hence too hot to boot the Onyx2. As of right now (since I'm new to the porting business) I just manually edited the source files. Could you tell me how to/point me to a good source to create a patch? Once I do that I can see about making a tar dist. A few weeks ago I played around with the package maker program and it seemed useable, so between you and squeen I should be able to do this. Thanks again!

No problem. Creating patches is really easy; the following will grab all of your changes from a source tree and compile it into a single patchfile:

Code: Select all

diff -urN old_source_tree new_source_tree > patchfile

old_source_tree would be the original, unmodified imwheel source and new_source_tree have your changes in it.

Or if there's just one changed file you can diff it like this:

diff -u file_old.c file_new.c > patchfile
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 pm

nekonoko wrote:
evil ppc wrote:Neko- I'm glad you like it and appreciate the help. Everyday I've had free time to work on Irix ports it has been > 100F and hence too hot to boot the Onyx2. As of right now (since I'm new to the porting business) I just manually edited the source files. Could you tell me how to/point me to a good source to create a patch? Once I do that I can see about making a tar dist. A few weeks ago I played around with the package maker program and it seemed useable, so between you and squeen I should be able to do this. Thanks again!

No problem. Creating patches is really easy; the following will grab all of your changes from a source tree and compile it into a single patchfile:

diff -urN old_source_tree new_source_tree > patchfile

old_source_tree would be the original, unmodified imwheel source and new_source_tree have your changes in it.

Or if there's just one changed file you can diff it like this:

diff -u file_old.c file_new.c > patchfile

Sweet! I'll give that a go. I didn't realize it was so easy. Thanks neko!

ihalatch

Unread postby ihalatch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:59 am

ruckusman,
I've got the same behaviour, but when I switch to "point to type" into "window settings" its o'k'. It only happens when I use the "click to type" keyboard focus. A really strange behaviour. evil ppc we need help on this, can you try it. Cheers

ihalatch

Unread postby ihalatch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 am

I'm using A wireless Logitech with 2 buttons and a click wheel so in my case it is
systune pcmouse_mode 1

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:34 pm

ihalatch, others- Alright I've duplicated the bug and am working on a fix as well as a real tardist version to go in the offical nekoware. I'll keep this thread updated!

GeneratriX

Re:

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 am

evil ppc wrote:GeneratriX- Pretty much every scroll wheel mouse that's PS/2 compatible works well under irix. I myself have a Sony mouse USB-PS/2 because I had to match my sony flats (anal, I know :D ). I'd say get one depending on your personal taste, as long as it's PS/2.

GeneratriX wrote:Thanks by your suggestion, "evil ppc"!
...I'll try to get a nice one from any local store.
Anyway, back on the days when IRIX started to support wheel mouses (using Nekonoko's hack, and about a year and half ago) I've tried to use a brand new Genius NetScroll+, but it resulted killed by the experiment, and the O2 resulted hanged on boot, requiring the jumper-trick to reboot again; so, I guess this time I'll avoid Genius devices... I could not tell you what failed these time... but these mouse never worked again no matter if plugged on SGI(s) or PeeCees. Affortunatedly it was a very cheap unit...

I'll look for a better unit next time! ;)

evil ppc wrote:generatriX- Hmm I had that same problem with my O2, but the mouse worked after a few replugs. Maybe it's an O2 thing? Good thing the Genius mouse was cheap... ;-)

Hi, Evil PPC! ...well, I guess I'm the kind of guy that never gives up... :D
Now, about a year after after my post, I have to say that I've tried again with a newer Genius mouse on my Octane, and it works perfectly. The model is:

Genius
M/N: GM-04003P
NETSCROLL EYE

...and again, it was cheap as no other, almost as cheap as the one killed a year ago by the O2... but this time it worked! ;)

Just with:

systune pcmouse_mode 1

...already did the trick.
Cheers, I guess now it is just time to try Imwheel!
Diego

uridium

Re: Imwheel for Irix- ported! download link in thread

Unread postby uridium » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Greetings,

Anyone got a copy of imwheel.zip ? The .mac hoohar page seems to be down sadly.

Thanks <3
Al Boyanich
adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Alrighty guys! I've been away from the forums for far too long, and I promised neko the source diff file an eon ago. I was way too busy with grad school stuff and moving, etc, etc. I'll give that diff file to neko today or tomorrow- then it'll be official nekoware. Hold me to it!

rvic

Unread postby rvic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:24 pm

well,
is there a link to this software or not
by the way, you must be a real fan of stevy ... alrighty
i can't forget ... the guy was so happy with his ipod ... maybe the guys from pixar are trully inspired by him on their animated personality characters ...yupeee like :P
it's just a tought ... nothing more :)

Return to “IRIX and Software”