Quick Freeware Question...

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
armoury

Quick Freeware Question...

Unread postby armoury » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:34 pm

Once again, thanks all (esp Lisp) for answering my question regarding automatic startup via command line :-)

Got another Q... I want to setup a local mirror of all the freeware from freeware.sgi.com. I noticed you can install everything by using: http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/

What I was wondering is if I mirror everything on a machine at my house, setup a directory called /Inst/ put that text file in there, then put all the tardist's in there if I could just load it up from my one of my local machines by using something like: http://192.168.1.7/Inst/ as the sounce for the installation...

Make sense?

Thanks as always :-)

Eric

shrek

Unread postby shrek » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 am

Should probably work.
Personally I mirrored the cd-1 - cd-4 directories into one directory at my Origin (made a Perl script for that). And this freeware directory is placed on a NFS export that I mount on other SGI's that need some Freeware package, works very well.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:01 am

When you say "mirror", do you just mean ftp'd all the files to your local machine...or something slicker like rsync?

armoury

Unread postby armoury » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:59 am

By mirror, I mean I'd just ftp everything in and slap it in a directory on either one of my other SGI's or just throw up a webserver on another machine just for taking care of freeware from time to time.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:17 am

Thanks. As you might guess, I've been thinking about using rsync for mirror a CVS reposiitory to maintain some redundancy.

LoWeN

Unread postby LoWeN » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:59 am

Hello,

Just do what they suggest on their site. Use wget -m.
It will automatically deal with new/same/old version etc...
Wget is made for that...

@+

LoWeN
UX powered

lisp

Unread postby lisp » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:15 am

Don't do any of that wget crap.

Create a directory for the freeware to live in. For the purposes of this, that'll be $FREEWAREROOT.

Now create a script, personally, I'd recommend /usr/local/sbin/freewaresync

Put this in it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
rsync -avzPS --stats freeware.sgi.com::freeware/cd* $FREEWAREROOT
rsync -avzPS --stats freeware.sgi.com::freeware/Inst $FREEWAREROOT

Replacing $FREEWAREROOT with thew directory you created earlier.

Now add a cron entry to run this script - it's probably best to run it once a month or so.

You will now have a beautiful mirror. It'll give you the CD directories ($FREEWAREROOT/cd*), which you can burn off and give to your broadbandless friends. More importantly, it'll create an Inst directory ($FREEWARE/Inst) full of symlinks which you can give to swmgr, giving you access to all the freeware packages. Even better, you don't have to think about redownloading when it's updated.
--
lisa

LoWeN

Unread postby LoWeN » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:27 am

Hello,

Many thanks for your personnal input lisp.
But ...
If he did this from home and have full liberty ok it will work.
Here at work I have to deal with a firewall and a proxy... and they don't like rsync but seems to accept wget...

So...

@+

LoWeN
UX powered

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:55 am

Thanks you both for the help.

I do have security issues, so I'll try it both ways. Also, I know that rsync can tunnel through ssh, I just need to figure out the interface.

Return to “IRIX and Software”