Nekoware-mips3

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dir_marillion

Unread postby dir_marillion » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Hello to all that installed and used mips3 port for TightNVC.

Where may I change the config for running TightVNC as a server ? I mean where could I add a user and a password to be able to view Irix via a Laptop that runs RealVNC viewer ? Settings like screen also, where are they ?

Thanks but I installed it and it has not GUI or an html to setup my needs and I am not very familiar with unix enviroment... still learning

Keyoke

scummvm ?

Unread postby Keyoke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:02 pm

Hello world !

What I'd really really love to see ported to MIPS3 is ScummVM 0.9.0 (I think this is the latest)! I've been awaiting this for years ! BTW, a small package without the embedded games would also be more practical, but I don't want to be asking too much ! It's already a veryveryvery good job.

The Gimp and Inkscape would also be nice to use on my I2 ! PhotoShop and CorelDraw 3 are a bit rusty by today's standards ;)

BTW, does neko-mips4 work on an Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Thanks a lot to all maintainers for the work ! All of that is going to put several of my machines to a new life !
As a side note, I'd really be happy to contribute some of my unused mips3 horsepower to the compilation effort, but I have no MIPSPro license :( . If there is a way round that, just tell me...

joerg
Donor
Donor

Re: scummvm ?

Unread postby joerg » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Keyoke wrote:Hello world !
Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Yes it runs also on r5k indys.

Thanks a lot to all maintainers for the work ! All of that is going to put several of my machines to a new life !
As a side note, I'd really be happy to contribute some of my unused mips3 horsepower to the compilation effort, but I have no MIPSPro license :( . If there is a way round that, just tell me...

Maybe a search in google groups may help you ;)

regards
Joerg

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: scummvm ?

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Keyoke wrote:Hello world !

What I'd really really love to see ported to MIPS3 is ScummVM 0.9.0 (I think this is the latest)! I've been awaiting this for years ! BTW, a small package without the embedded games would also be more practical, but I don't want to be asking too much ! It's already a veryveryvery good job.

I wasn't able to get ScummVM to compile using the supplied patches from the mips4 archive using MIPSpro 7.4.4/IRIX 6.5.22 so this one is a non-starter.

The Gimp and Inkscape would also be nice to use on my I2 ! PhotoShop and CorelDraw 3 are a bit rusty by today's standards ;)

These are really, really heavy apps for mips3 machines so I've avoided touching them - they're going to be close to unusable. I did build CinePaint which uses GTK 1.x toolkit and hence quite a bit more lightweight. Personally I still think Photoshop 3 rocks :)

BTW, does neko-mips4 work on an Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Yes, that will work fine with standard mips4 Nekoware.

MIPSpro is a must - we need to get every ounce of performance possible on this architecture.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Keyoke

Unread postby Keyoke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:40 pm

neko > well.... grmf ! too bad for ScummVM !!

I did have a look at the Gimp on the I2 (R4400 250 SI 384Mo iirc) a long time ago (can't even remember where I found it) and it was usable. Not with 700MB pictures but usable for web site imaging.

Well, I think that for the moment I'll be back on one of the R5K Indys for those apps. I don't want you to put priority on software most mips3 machines won't be able to run...

joerg > actually I already searched google... but he's not been my friend... although I've already been his the other way round a long time ago... if you don't understand those words, well.... I cant tell more here....

cheers !

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Keyoke wrote:I did have a look at the Gimp on the I2 (R4400 250 SI 384Mo iirc) a long time ago (can't even remember where I found it) and it was usable. Not with 700MB pictures but usable for web site imaging.

A long time ago GIMP didn't use GTK2 which is what kills the speed :) CinePaint is fork of the GIMP 1.x code base and hence still pretty speedy. Try that one; if your experience is from a long time ago anyway that will fit the bill.
All Rights Reserved.

Keyoke

Unread postby Keyoke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

yes it was like several years ago. SGI was maybe still SiliconGraphics at the time, you see :)

Yes I hate the trend to go to GTK for everything. It makes unix apps bloatware like their windows counterparts !!

But I guess I don't have the choice unless I rewrite everything...

SAQ

possible newbie question

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Why do you compile Mips3 on Mips3? Aren't you supposed to be able to use cc -mips3 (or -mips1 or -mips2, or -mips4) on any architecture that supports a compiler that will compile it? (e.g. -mips3 on MIPSpro 7.3.1 on a R10k, or even -mips4 on an Onyx R4k (but you won't be able to try the binaries out there...)

Just seems that it would be a bit faster than dragging out the ol' Indigo R4k

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Easier to have a clean build environment this way; won't get any stray static linked mips4 libraries in the mix. Plus I just don't have spare mips4 machines anymore; just my Fuel (which I do mips4 development on; would have all sorts of conflicts while creating a mips3 distro there) and my O300 which I'd rather not waste cycles on.

Besides, it's not the compile time that's a problem - the Indigo R4K does just fine. It's wrestling with the compile problems that the patches just don't address - I don't have much time to rediscover solutions to the same issues the original package creators also went through (and should have added in the release notes/patches!) :)
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:48 pm

nekonoko wrote:Easier to have a clean build environment this way; won't get any stray static linked mips4 libraries in the mix. Plus I just don't have spare mips4 machines anymore; just my Fuel (which I do mips4 development on; would have all sorts of conflicts while creating a mips3 distro there) and my O300 which I'd rather not waste cycles on.

Besides, it's not the compile time that's a problem - the Indigo R4K does just fine. It's wrestling with the compile problems that the patches just don't address - I don't have much time to rediscover solutions to the issues the original package creators also went through (and should have added in the release notes/patches!) :)

I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target... and again, I think you're 100% right: the one porting/developing can't have too much spare time to rediscover solutions to side-troubles! ;)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:55 pm

GeneratriX wrote:I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target

Yep, learned that the hard way ... neko_gcc comes to mind :D
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Cross-Compiling

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:38 pm

nekonoko wrote:
GeneratriX wrote:I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target

Yep, learned that the hard way ... neko_gcc comes to mind :D

Well, me too... :oops: ...None of the cross-compilings that I've attempted worked enough successfully to justify the amount of extra headaches/time of doing the things in such way.

I'm not saying that it is not possible to do; but at least for me, it is plainly an unuseful practice, given the extra amount of time needed to arrange a give box to get those nice&clean cross-builds.
Greetz to Pleasanton! ;)
Diego

Keyoke

Unread postby Keyoke » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:51 am

I'll add to that... I just tried tightvnc and scummvm on my Indy R5K and...
PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88126f18 ep: 0xffffc880
EXC code:16, `Read Address Error '

and so on...

It's got 128MB and 6.5.22m...

grmf.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 am

Keyoke wrote:I'll add to that... I just tried tightvnc and scummvm on my Indy R5K and...
PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88126f18 ep: 0xffffc880
EXC code:16, `Read Address Error '

and so on...

It's got 128MB and 6.5.22m...

grmf.

A kernel panic is probably due to some hardware problem rather than software; that's pretty severe.
All Rights Reserved.

Keyoke

Unread postby Keyoke » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:16 pm

Or a system misconfiguration. I've had problems since I upgraded to 6.5.22m.

My 3rd or 4th attempt has just finished. I hope it's going to be better now...

Return to “IRIX and Software”