iconbar

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Lord John Whorfin

Unread postby Lord John Whorfin » Thu May 25, 2006 7:54 am

Awesome! I can't wait for the nekoware pkg to arrive.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

GeneratriX

More IconBar!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri May 26, 2006 2:21 am

squeen wrote:"A Long Expected Party"...

iconbar v0.8

see here for details.

A nekoware package to follow shortly.

Amazingly great news SQueen!; Congrats on that, thanks by your excellent programme! ;)

Arti77

Unread postby Arti77 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Just wanted to say I love iconbar SQueen. I just started using it and love it, thanks for a great program, it really adds functionalty to Irix!
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:05 am

Thanks Arti77. Got to get the lastest into Nekoware, but I've just been swamped lately...:(

Arti77

Unread postby Arti77 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:10 am

sucks when real life gets in the way :?
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme

edefault

Unread postby edefault » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:08 am

Arti77 wrote:Just wanted to say I love iconbar SQueen. I just started using it and love it, thanks for a great program, it really adds functionalty to Irix!

Mee, too... can´t be without it any more...

in fact, I made iconbar start automatically through the -loginrc, which raises a question:

how to avoid multiple instances of iconbar (interfering each other) when logged in as another user on the same desktop?

Walther
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:15 am

I've got a DCD and two monitors, whch appear as Channels 0 and 1.

What'd be useful is if, rather than having iconbar stuck on Channel 0, I could choose instead to have it centred on Channel 1 (which tends to be less crowded) or centred over the two.

(Apologies if this can already be done - a quick perusal of the manpage seemed to suggest not, but I could have missed something)

Infact, what'd be really great would be a "dualchannel" option, which would ensure that no icon was ever chopped in half over different monitors (by extending the bar off-centre when an odd number of icons are present) - and perhaps even by drawing an additional border down the centre of the bar, so that there's a break between the two screens. That'd look fantastic ;)

(Might it be possible to allow the iconbar to be dragged to any position on an edge of the root window, automatically detect where Channel boundaries lie, and add a border/break at that point? This sounds like a pretty major undertaking - but it sure would be cool!)

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:40 am

@edefault: I have the following line in my .sgisession (all one line)

Code: Select all

xset +fp /usr/freeware/share/emacs/fonts & /usr/nekoware/bin/iconbar & /usr/nekoware/bin/xscreensaver-command -exit; /usr/nekoware/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash

which avoids (I believe) the problem you're experiencing with .loginrc.

@stuart: I agree the dual channel needs a bit more work. I'm sure getting it to launch on channel 1 can be done fairly easily, and I'll look into it next week. What you suggest about display boundry smarts is also a great idea - now that I've got the channel size data using the SGI video extension ( v0.8 ) it should not be too serious an undertaking. I'll put it on the todo list.

And thanks to you both for the feedback. :)

Return to “IRIX and Software”