iconbar

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:59 am

voidfoo: Sorry for the delay in response - I'm usually not on-line over weekends. Thanks for the nice redesktop icon! Regarding the aterm/xterm icon, I also have noticed the artifact -- I need to fix it but if I recall correctly, the /usr/ilib/images/XTerm.icon file is one pixel too short (85x66?) or something like that. Also, the background-shaped iconery is a bit of a hack right now and needs an overhaul. Unfortunately, I'm up to my eyeballs in programming right now so it may be a couple of weeks before iconbar gets the attension it deserves.

Thanks again, I love seeing iconbar leading a life beyond my desktop.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:32 am

Hey all, but especially voidfoo, the same malloc/tryRGBfile/SIGSEGV error surfaced on my system. I think I tracked it down and eliminated the problem -- I was not being careful when freeing memory. Hopefully the problem with remain gone for you when you reinsert the optimization flags. It was in fact some code that I rearranged since the pre0.1 build.

Thanks again for your help in locating it.

ruckusman

This Rocks

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:55 pm

Sorry, it's a bit difficult to contain my enthusiasm, feel like a sugared up teenager, this is really great work.

Glenn

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:20 am

Thanks!

Iconbar has been screaming at me like a neglected child for the past 2 months. Expect to see some updates before too long.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:13 am

Temporary fix (CVS version) for the multi-row wrapping after the number of icons exceeds the width of the screen. Used to be the top row icon would get lost when cursor-entry caused the row width to magnify. I've got about 30 nedit windows open and it was starting to annoy me. :)

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:23 am

squeen wrote:Temporary fix (CVS version) for the multi-row wrapping after the number of icons exceeds the width of the screen. Used to be the top row icon would get lost when cursor-entry caused the row width to magnify. I've got about 30 nedit windows open and it was starting to annoy me. :)

Maybe it's time for a WindowsXP like feature that collapses icons of multiple instances of one and the same program into one icon, and when you click on it you can pick the one you want from a list that pops up?

(If it's already there, just ignore me. I am not (yet) using Iconbar because of lack of time to realy work on my desktop looks)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:42 am

Absolutely that's in plan -- it just takes either more free time or a slighty higher annoyance level :P

Please give it a try - your opinion matters:

Code: Select all

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/iconbar checkout iconbar
cd ./iconbar
gmake
./iconbar

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:04 am

I will. I definitely will.
But at the moment I am terribly busy. I just bought an appartment today and I need to take care of TONS of things.
I have appointments with 3 mortgage advisors, 2 movement companies and 2 notaries. And that's by far not all I have to take care of now. *argh* what am I getting myself in to.

Anyway. I will definitely look into Iconbar at some point.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:40 pm

Maybe it's time for a WindowsXP like feature that collapses icons of multiple instances of one and the same program into one icon, and when you click on it you can pick the one you want from a list that pops up?

Please, please, please, please, don't allow that to happen. Or at least allow one the option of turning that fugly stuff off.

I don't have usernames and e-mail addys with 'xpblows' for nothing, mind you.

More on topic, I truly appreciate this app. Thanks.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:31 am

Scott - I will always include a switch to turn features off. What I was thinking of doing was allowing the user to do a drag&drop of an icon onto another thereby creating a "group" folder so to speak. The folder would then pop up with a list of it's members.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:27 pm

I installed via CVS and it works great but can I make the iconbar bigger? looks kind of tiny on my big monitor.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:23 am

zizban wrote:I installed via CVS and it works great but can I make the iconbar bigger? looks kind of tiny on my big monitor.

The default scale is 0.75 -- you can run it with
iconbar -scale 1.0
but right now it won't go bigger than normal IRIX icon size. Do you need it bigger?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:39 am

squeen wrote:The default scale is 0.75 -- you can run it with
iconbar -scale 1.0
but right now it won't go bigger than normal IRIX icon size. Do you need it bigger?

It might be kind of neat if it isn't too difficult to implement.

On related note; I installed iconbar on an SGI I sold this past weekend. The buyer (who is also a friend and UNIX developer) saw it on my machines and really liked it :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:51 pm

Neko: Shouldn't be too difficult to do enlarging-- I'll take a crack at it. Also, nice to hear both that iconbar is making the IRIX user rounds and that it is well received. Makes me eager to get back at finishing it (althought I dare say I think stablility has been achieved--I haven't crashed in months).
Last edited by squeen on Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:17 pm

I went with 1.0--it works well.

Return to “IRIX and Software”