SlimDesktop Version 0.06

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GeneratriX

New One...

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:29 pm

friedbits wrote:Hey Diego, of course I'll be patient. Please don't be upset with me nagging, after all, we're doing this for fun :)

Well Tobias, the new package is there; you can go and get it from:
SlimDesktop_V006.tardist

I hope it will work as intended. Good luck!
Cheers! ;)

foetz

Re: Big Irons...

Unread postby foetz » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:40 pm

GeneratriX wrote: Foetz, could you confirm please if you can see in the tardist install the following three branchs?

confirmed :P

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:55 pm

foetz wrote:
GeneratriX wrote: Foetz, could you confirm please if you can see in the tardist install the following three branchs?

confirmed :P

Then; It is official now!
(feel free to add any kind of 'fanfarria' music to the event! :D)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

GeneratriX wrote: (feel free to add any kind of 'fanfarria' music to the event! :D)

:lol: :lol:

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 pm

foetz wrote:
GeneratriX wrote: (feel free to add any kind of 'fanfarria' music to the event! :D)

:lol: :lol:

Sure; why not... we can enjoy it for a while! :)
...Anyway, a new tardist is in progress with added features, and some conceptual corrections! ;)

friedbits

Unread postby friedbits » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:40 pm

Yes, it works for me now, too :)

Being the awful nag that I am, I have found another thing:
You are copying old files like .auxchestrc to .auxchestrc.generatrix before intalling the new ones, which is of course a good idea, but if there is no old file, this creates an error and swmgr complains. You could do it like this instead:

Code: Select all

if (test -f /.auxchestrc); then
  cp /.auxchestrc /.auxchestrc.generatrix
fi

so long
hard-to-please-tobias
When you know that your time is close at hand, maybe then you’ll begin to understand - life down there is just a strange illusion.
Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy Name

GeneratriX

Fun!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:23 pm

friedbits wrote:Yes, it works for me now, too :)

Hello Tobias; now this is excellent! Good news! ;)

friedbits wrote:Being the awful nag that I am, I have found another thing:
You are copying old files like .auxchestrc to .auxchestrc.generatrix before intalling the new ones, which is of course a good idea, but if there is no old file, this creates an error and swmgr complains.

Oh yup!; I've also noticed these a couple days ago. I've assumed that swmgr could perform some test by default if the file is not present. You know, default assumption is mother of bugs!, and I've worked a little on it last night...

But my shell script solution seems to be a little bit longer and less elegant than yours... :oops:

friedbits wrote:You could do it like this instead:

Code: Select all

if (test -f /.auxchestrc); then
  cp /.auxchestrc /.auxchestrc.generatrix
fi

Cool!; It only takes three lines, while the mine takes more than ten! :D I'll use your with a few slight modifications, for the sake of effectiveness and elegance! ;)

friedbits wrote:so long
hard-to-please-tobias

Oh, you know; feedbacks like yours always contribute to enhance our packages a lot. I'm a lot happy with all tyour suggestios, a nice source of fun, indeed! ;)

indy_tigger

Unread postby indy_tigger » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi,

I get this error on install, not sure on to resolve..

Cheers

.cshrc - No such file or directory
ERROR: An error occurred while: Installing new versions of selected SlimDesktop_M02_V006.sw subsystems
Command "( cp .cshrc .cshrc.GeneratriX )" failed (return status 2, subsystem SlimDesktop_M02_V006.sw.base 1)
Installing new versions of selected SlimDesktop_M03_V006.sw subsystems
.login - No such file or directory

friedbits

Unread postby friedbits » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:29 pm

indy_tigger wrote:Hi,

I get this error on install, not sure on to resolve..

Cheers

.cshrc - No such file or directory
ERROR: An error occurred while: Installing new versions of selected SlimDesktop_M02_V006.sw subsystems
Command "( cp .cshrc .cshrc.GeneratriX )" failed (return status 2, subsystem SlimDesktop_M02_V006.sw.base 1)
Installing new versions of selected SlimDesktop_M03_V006.sw subsystems
.login - No such file or directory

Hello tigger,

this error is safe for you to ignore. If you read through this thread, you will see that it is a known bug and will be fixed in the next version of the SlimDesktop.

so long
Tobias
When you know that your time is close at hand, maybe then you’ll begin to understand - life down there is just a strange illusion.

Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy Name

indy_tigger

Unread postby indy_tigger » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:51 pm

Thanks,

It installed fine but I got this problem where I can not rename folders or files. It's very hit or miss (mostly miss). Backspace mostly does not clear and what mostly happens is after typing a couple of characters the original name comes back.

After a handful of attempts I can sometimes change it, not experienced this before installing slim . Does slim change anything that might effect this?

cheers

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:18 pm

indy_tigger wrote:Does slim change anything that might effect this?

cheers

Not exactly, but it is a side-effect from a combination of customizations on '.Xdefaults' (those *iconXXXXXX strings); on next tardist I'll fix it to accept a wider area of action over the mouse pointer.

You'll notice that it is only that the field of focus for the mouse pointer is just too narrow, and then if you move slightly the mouse you loose the focus and the changes on the icon label. Yes, it is an undesired effect if you're not familiarized with it; so, I'll remove it! :)

jgilbs

Unread postby jgilbs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:55 am

how can i customize the installation. all i want is to make my titlebar's small - i dont want any of the other apps that are in the package, especially the nixieclock. is there another way to do this without using slimdesktop, or do i have to install all the other programs i wont use?

GeneratriX

SlimDesktop

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:34 am

jgilbs wrote:how can i customize the installation. all i want is to make my titlebar's small - i dont want any of the other apps that are in the package, especially the nixieclock. is there another way to do this without using slimdesktop, or do i have to install all the other programs i wont use?

Hi! ;)
...thatś absolutely easy, but anyway SlimDesktop is a general solution, an kind of "just works", intended for those willing to customize on a single step a freshly installed box. You have many ways to do it, if you want to learn how to customize each aspect of 4Dwm. You could in example install all the relevant packages (4Dwm Applications Default) from SlimDesktop to an alternative path, and then just read the configuration files... but there is another one, which is: just use the search on Nekochan.Net, or on SGI TechPubs, since all the required info is just there.

Sadly, I don't have MIPS/IRIX boxes at the office anymore, and I don't think we'll see the next version for SlimDesktop on a close timeframe... but if I buy some SGI box for cheap, I would put some more efforts there.

GeneratriX

It's Alive!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:24 am

Well, I have to say that this time, I can't announce a newer version for SlimDesktop as on any of the previous end-of-years... you know, lots of changes, including the sale for all my SGI gear on latest months.

Anyway, since it seems that I've integrated again my life to the IRIX's front, I hope to be able to offer at some point of the new year, a newer release for SlimDesktop (Release 7.0) including some fancy Motif slyled GUI'fied small apps to complement some tasks. I will not be able to use the real Motif ToolKit, but instead an alternative OSS which has a Motif style.

I'll also apply some strong clean-up on files and packages, to make it able to serve better on the professional environment. Oh well, I hope it will get better with each release.

Yup, it will live! :)

Greetings, and Happy New Year for all!

Return to “IRIX and Software”