SGI Quake

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Simon

SGI Quake

Unread postby Simon » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:58 am

With the release of Quake 3 for IRIX, I wanted to play to play again with Q1 and Q2.. only to notice that even in 2003 those apps still don't like the 24bit colormap of the X server :):)

Is there any command line option or trick to launch Quake without having to reconfigure and restart Xsgi before ?

Thanks.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SGI Quake

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:58 am

Is this with the non-OpenGL version? I've never had a problem running in 24-bit ... in fact the Quake2 screenshot in my gallery was taken using a 24-bit display, but I'm using OpenGL.

I haven't had time to try Quake 3 yet due to my work schedule, though I'll try to get to it this weekend.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:59 am

Speaking of Q, QII, and QIII...

I have been having issues with mouse support in QII under IRIX, I have yet to be able to get the mouse to let me mover more than 30 degrees left or right and about the same up and down. The only issues with the up and down is that it seem the stop at the midway point on the screen. I have tried it out on win boxes and it works without an issue. I have tried messing wiht the switches for the mouse and the console commands and still no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Simon

Unread postby Simon » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:21 am

It runs fine using OpenGL ( granted your hardware has some texturing power ), but attempting to run it with software rendering will show something like that :

http://perso.club-internet.fr/s_bigot/Divers/quake.jpg

Pulsar

Unread postby Pulsar » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:39 am

Hi Simon

how many fps do you get on your config ?

by the way if other users could post their config/fps too
thx in advance

see ya

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:22 pm

Yes... This makes me very glad that I have some texturing power on by box.
I'm still at a loss as to why my mouse acts so limited in the IRIX port of QII...

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:14 pm

is the mouse problem happening only in fullscreen mode?
if so, it may be that the mouse is going outside of the "window" still and therefore stops sending mouse messages to the game (hence why mouse movement stops in that direction)

there's a setting in the options screen for windowed_mouse or whatever, however it's weird...the option wouldn't show up for me if I was in OpenGL renderer, so I had to switch to software, check the box, switch back to opengl, quit the game, restart, and it all worked (all that for a dumb mouse...)

not 100% sure this is it, but just an idea...

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:21 pm

Yeah, actually it was while it was fullscreen... But it was with QII not QIII. I wonder if yo ucan lock the mouse to to Quake II while it's running? That would explain my issues with the mouse though.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:41 pm

vegac wrote:there's a setting in the options screen for windowed_mouse or whatever, however it's weird...the option wouldn't show up for me if I was in OpenGL renderer, so I had to switch to software, check the box, switch back to opengl, quit the game, restart, and it all worked (all that for a dumb mouse...)

Does the game save the setting in a .cfg file? If so it's probably easy to edit by hand. Yep, I'm at work so I can't check myself :)
All Rights Reserved.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 am

You can in fact lock the mouse so-to-speak in Q2...

I'll have to power-up my O2 first, but I'll update this pose with the variable you have to set for it all to work nicely...I was taking apart my O2 for a friend, showing him what PROPER hardware design looks like, meaning NOT having 20+ screws to get to anything, just slide a lever, remove, push in, slide back into place...

------update------
It seems what you want to type (or change in baseq2/config.cfg) is:
set _windowed_mouse "1"

Either make sure it's set to 1 like that in the config.cfg or type it in the q2 "console" and it should function nicely...

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:50 am

Many thanks...
Hopefully this puts the game back into a playable state for me.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:51 pm

Simon wrote:It runs fine using OpenGL ( granted your hardware has some texturing power ), but attempting to run it with software rendering will show something like that :

http://perso.club-internet.fr/s_bigot/Divers/quake.jpg

Ahh, yes that is because your X server is set to 24-bit. You can fix that by setting it to 8-bit. But then all your other apps will look suckey...

Ive managed to recompile q1 (w/o sound on IRIX 5.3) to work correctly in 24-bit. Perhaps one of the quake source ports out there that use SDL will work correctly.

As for Quake2, I haven't tried compiling that yet, I will when my IDO cds come in for IRIX 6.2.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:48 pm

akimmet wrote:As for Quake2, I haven't tried compiling that yet, I will when my IDO cds come in for IRIX 6.2.

You can download the 6.2 IDO for free:

ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX6.2/

Just in case you weren't aware ;)
All Rights Reserved.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:45 am

nekonoko wrote:
akimmet wrote:As for Quake2, I haven't tried compiling that yet, I will when my IDO cds come in for IRIX 6.2.

You can download the 6.2 IDO for free:

ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX6.2/

Just in case you weren't aware ;)

Yes, That's just the IDF/IDL and dosen't include a C compiler, and I don't want to use gcc...

That would cut the speed of Quake atleast in half, which would be bad for someone using a Indy (me).

The source hack for 24-bit color alone already drops the FPS in half. Perhaps it could be hacked to try to request a 8-bit visual instead (which is possible with IRIX).

UPDATE: I got quake2 to compile and run correctly now, but it is very slow (5fps at 320x240). Hopefully I can fix that when I can compile it for 6.2 instead of 5.3.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:49 pm

I tried running Quake3 on an Indigo 2 runing 6.5.17. When I execute it, it bombs out after loading the shaders. It'll finished load them, then it will say:

Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm
------ CL_Shutdown -------
RE_Shutoown( 1 )
------------------------------
Error: recursive error after: User Interface is version 3, expected 4

Is there a way to totally disable textures in Q3? I'm running on solid impact, and i'd like to play some of Q3 beyond the novelty of the fact :)
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

Return to “IRIX and Software”