neko firefox 1.0.4

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:06 am

DaJuice wrote:Hey foetz, thanks for this build. :)
I believe there was an icon made for firefox already, but I couldn't find it, so I made this one. Maybe someone else will want to use it. I do wish iconsmith had more colors in its palette. :?

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v123/ ... x_icon.png <dead>

Right Click > Save
http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/firefox_icon.gz

Very nice!

The ones I have look like that:

The icon for thunderbird was made by someone else, I just changed the colors to make the ff one... The iconified pictures are what I'm trying to accomplish, but both ff & tb share the same WM name, so no can't do :cry:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:20 pm

ZoontF wrote:Seems to me the static/shared thing was discussed before in another thread. There was a vote, too, right? I don't think the outcome of the vote made it clear cut what we should do.

Shared means we each have to install a buncha libs in order to run one app we want, getting into the typical dependency hell that drives me nuts on Linux.

Static means we have bloat on machines that we would probably prefer to avoid bloat on. I know that I like to keep my machine running as lean as possible.

as i said it's NOT a static build. the only thing i did is to include the required libs (just about 2,5mb)
so all should be fine.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:22 pm

phrosty-boi wrote:sorry but i don't want to sound like a negative nancy, but how come its a 34 meg download?

for windoze it's not even 10, i'm just interested as to what makes up all the extra 20 or so meg, is it to do with dependencies by any chance or just how these tardist files work?

first the tardist format does not have the best compression and second the file size differs
between the platforms. i.e. the same code compiled could be let's say 10mb on a mac and
8mb on a x86.

if you want a smaller package grab my independant builds.

foetz

Re: Browsers

Unread postby foetz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:26 pm

Also, I like to add that this (SlimDesktop) is only a work that I'm making for myself, and releasing just in case that anyone else could find it useful, so, does not needs any kind of justifications if people founds it unuseful or repetitive... only that by those days your Mozilla/FireFox builds were only binaries, so, not tardists availables for lazy people like me.

Anyway, if you have plains to make tardist builds, then I'll remove the FireFox dist files from my SlimDesktop to save space for something else not available on NekoWare by now. What do you think?

sorry, i won't release non-nekoware tardists of mozilla-family apps in the near future.

So, my votes are: every NekoWare must be released as a tardist file! ;)

the nekoware IS all tardist.

colin

Unread postby colin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:34 am

unixmuseum wrote:The icon for thunderbird was made by someone else, I just changed the colors to make the ff one... The iconified pictures are what I'm trying to accomplish, but both ff & tb share the same WM name, so no can't do :cry:

Changing the WM_NAME for one of the two applications should be a easy compile-time modification. However, legal/license issues may prevent someone from redistributing something modified like that, perhaps even moreso in Foetz's case.

As far as the other comments about how "proper" this build is, I say quit complaining and be happy you have anything at all. 32 MB is a fair download size compared to what you would find from freeware.sgi.com, and the Foetz builds are much newer and much faster. If we keep complaining, Foetz will grab his ball and bat and go home. Compiling Mozilla/FireFox is a huge pain. My last build of Mozilla took a full weekend of banging my head against my desk and monitor, and it was still slower than a similar Foetz build.

edefault

Unread postby edefault » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:52 am

Yup - it is well worth to replace the link on the mozilla ports site:
http://www.mozilla.org/ports/
which only (mis-) leads to a page of sgi that simply points back to where one came from :-(

btw., what´s the difference between the builds from foetz´ contrib dir and the newkoware build? Icons?

Walther

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:54 am

foetz wrote:sorry, i won't release non-nekoware tardists of mozilla-family apps in the near future.

Well; as I've stated before, I've released FireFox as a tardist inside SlimDesktop because up to the date of launch, FF was not available as tardist.

Now; if you are carrying up all the work by yourself, then there is no need to make a parallel tardist for FireFox inside SlimDesktop.

In fact, it takes some time for me that I'll need for my own projects. Under any light, I'll leave FireFox out of SlimDesktop starting from the next release in advance.

foetz wrote:the nekoware IS all tardist.

Sorry; then I've referred more properly to those "FoetzWare" days, where the whole Mozilla's family was always in binary format, and never in tardist... anyway, I don't know if you are even releasing non-tardist versions as in the past.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:08 pm

Diego wrote:
foetz wrote:the nekoware IS all tardist.

Sorry; then I've referred more properly to those "FoetzWare" days, where the whole Mozilla's family was always in binary format, and never in tardist... anyway, I don't know if you are even releasing non-tardist versions as in the past.

why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla
guys didn't solve so far.
as soon as it's done there will be as much builds as there were in the past :D

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:11 pm

edefault wrote:btw., what´s the difference between the builds from foetz´ contrib dir and the newkoware build? Icons?

Walther

nearly nothing. i just rebuild the app using /usr/nekoware as prefix and add the needed deps to
the tardist. the neko_firefox also got nekochan as the default homepage and a few things like that.
the app itself is the same. if you just wanna have the current version grab my tar.bz2 builds as always...

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:48 pm

foetz wrote:why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla

Sorry Foetz; my excuses for these missunderstanding, I've was just too bussy on my own things here on latest weeks, not awared at all about this.

Then you'll release again binaries after solved those three bugs by the Mozilla's team, right? ...In fact my only conceirn was more precisely about the prosperity of your new tardist releases, on wich I'm more interested.

I'm hardly using binaries or hand made installs on my systems; so, I have a compulsive obsession to convert any non-tardist distribution to a tardist one! ...So, I'll be happy enough while you can put your latest version of any of those browsers to be downloaded as tardist, no matter if there is a binary version on the 'contrib' folder too ;)

Thanks in advance by your good work.
Best regards,

phrosty-boi

Unread postby phrosty-boi » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:56 am

sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but i've downloaded and installed firefox 1.04 nekoware onto my O2, it works perfectly, but it's really really slow

this is what my O2 is running:
R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

is the O2 what would be causing it to be slow or is there some way to get better performance from firefox on my machine?
Octane
9 gig / 512MB / ESSI / R10k 250
O2
4 gig / 256MB / R5k 180

edefault

Unread postby edefault » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:46 am

phrosty-boi wrote:R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

now its about time for the R5200@300 CPU module...
gives +67% speed and an option for 233% with RM7000@600MHz
(eventually 400% if RM7900@900MHz works - fingers crossed!)

don´t forget that there are pretty lame web servers out there...

Walther

edefault

Unread postby edefault » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:36 am

edefault wrote: lame web servers out there...

...and as if to punish me for my arrogance, some Debian Woody variant (called Xandros) offered me to upgrade to FF1.04 lately (I had FF1.0 previously installed by myself - and it was much faster than the mozilla monster that originally came with the distro). I gladly accepted, but to my disappointment it is now incredible slow. Where to unlock the brake?

Walther

zone

Unread postby zone » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:56 am

phrosty-boi wrote:

this is what my O2 is running:
R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

is the O2 what would be causing it to be slow or is there some way to get better performance from firefox on my machine?

Not likely with R5k 180 as Walther also stated.

But if you cannot change CPU you may change browser :twisted: - caution - with some trade offs.

I found usefull alternative for older boxes in Dillo, g-lenerz has precompiled version on http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/downloads/index.html , no support for frames and/or any fancy stuff but lighting fast on older R4k and R5k systems. Nekochan is not having frames, ebay and google either, for what more you may use browser nowadys. :wink:

Would be cool to have nekoware build, source is on http://www.dillo.org/ .

With bit of touch of Fotez's magic could be maybe even faster but anyway it's well usable for very basic fast surfing.

z

PS. this message is contributed via Dillo 0.8.3 on IP22

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:13 pm

Diego wrote:
foetz wrote:why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla

Sorry Foetz; my excuses for these missunderstanding, I've was just too bussy on my own things here on latest weeks, not awared at all about this.

Then you'll release again binaries after solved those three bugs by the Mozilla's team, right?

sure, but i'm up to date with the releases. the bug just prevents me from building the weekly
cvs versions.
just have a look into my folder.

Return to “IRIX and Software”