Text editors.

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

VI vs. Emacs

Poll ended at Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:56 am

vi
78%
Emacs
22%

Total votes: 23

semi-fly

Text editors.

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:54 am

vi and Nedit are my faves, but I was wondering what people use for general text editing and coding on Irix. vim? emacs? Other?

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:58 am

i hope this isn;t going to turn into yet another vi verses emacs thread they must account for over half of the theads on all forums around the world.

but yes i like vi if i am doing anything important if its just a quick script or a note i just use nano which is a pico clone with a few extras
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 pm

I use vim for coding, and nedit for quick formatting (like if I copy a url in 2 lines, put it together into 1 line to paste into mozilla)

Of course, vim has issues for me when running remotely...it just sits there. Anyone else have this issue.

Stonent

Unread postby Stonent » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:56 pm

I learned vi in a college unix class after I had been using linux for a few years. I like it because I know that it is on any system.
- Stonent -
The preceding post has been brought to you in Infinite Reality!

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:27 pm

Stonent wrote:I learned vi in a college unix class after I had been using linux for a few years. I like it because I know that it is on any system.

I aggree. One can pretty much jump on any Unix box and be sure that vi will be there.

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:58 am

Stonent wrote:I learned vi in a college unix class after I had been using linux for a few years. I like it because I know that it is on any system.

Same thing for me.

Hakimoto

Others...

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:11 am

Well.... I´m quite comfortable with nedit´s syntax highlighting capabilities, but then it´s been ages since I seriously programmed. Does vi have extensible code highlighting? I need to write myself an OPL syntax highlighter sometime (Psion palmtop programming). For all things unicode I use yudit. It´s got a custom interface which is a bit of a pain sometimes, but it´s stable and let´s you write and save about every format under the sun. Especially try Armenian in emacs or vi.... it´s just not the same as in yudit... hehe.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:00 am

I also feel like a major unachiever when I admit this, but I use Nedit. I like all the simple to use syntax highlighting, the search and replace is also fairly powerful, and the programmability of the macros and menus.

lisp

Unread postby lisp » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:28 am

Nedit and joe my self.

I prefer not to use achiac editors that should have bitten the dust twenty or more years ago.
--
lisa

Slide

Unread postby Slide » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:54 am

emacs would be good if I could bring myself to master it's syntax, and if I could get used to using a text editor the way most people use a window manager...

vi, on the other hand, just about rules. I've used nvi and vim from time to time (specifically, vim is great for syntax highlighting and long-line support), but no matter how you shake it -- it's an admins-editor. I have found nothing with the power and simplicity of it's regexp engine and command interface; where else can you search and conditionally replace using a regexp, on a specific subset of lines, without ever touching a mouse?

I am one with vi. Feel the vi-ness inherent in the universe, and you will know true power.

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:51 pm

I agree with lisp on this one - time to move into the 21st century and use a proper visual editor.
Nedit gets my vote as well as Jedit - one Java base editor that can keep up with my typing (Ok, I don't type that fast and I have R10K and R12K based machines).
Has a great plugin system and huge number of features.

Nik.

Stonent

Unread postby Stonent » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:54 pm

If you like a java editor try Arachnophilia, it has automatic code beautifing for most programming languages, html and stuff like that.
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
And it's free :)
- Stonent -

sum][one

Unread postby sum][one » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:20 pm

cool.. but how to use it?.. i followed the Java executable to sun website.. but no Irix Java executable there.. :\

any advice? am I missing anything?

thanks in advance
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----

Stonent

Unread postby Stonent » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:40 pm

Irix has it's own java run time installed. I've ran .jar files before.

java -jar Arachnophilia.jar (i think)

You might even be able to just

chmod +x Arachnophilia.jar
and
./Arachnophilia.jar
- Stonent -

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:07 am

For the latest version of Java go to the SGI site.
http://www.sgi.com/developers/devtools/ ... /java.html

Return to “IRIX and Software”