Newbie question: How do i un-tar?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
fahr

Newbie question: How do i un-tar?

Unread postby fahr » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:25 am

Hi all, after years of wanting one, i've finally got myself an Octane and Im loving it!

Unfortunately, im also very Unix-stoopid, havng worked in Windows exclusively for years. I've learned enough for basaic knowledge, but whats stumping me big-time is how I extract and install the .tardist files on this site. Can someone help me?

I also will need to get my octane working on my windows network before I can do anything useful with it. I understand that Samba is the app I need to do that, but beyond that Im clueless.

Oh yeah, my Octane was set up with the latest version of Irix with overlays (I believe), and a fairly recent (if not the most recent) set of freeware has been installed on it as well.

Additionally, are there any good places on the net I can go to start to learn about using IRIX, like using the window manager. For instance, how do I alt-tab? ;)

Thanks a ton guys! This site has been a fantastic resource so far, theres a lot of killer info here, and the members seem very cool and helpful.

You rock!

sincil

Re: Newbie question: How do i un-tar?

Unread postby sincil » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:46 am

Welcome,

tar -xvf file.tar(dist)

Though you can just drag tardists into the software manager window and click lookup and it will uncompress them to a temporary location.
Please be sure to use the search function for the forums and also search google groups. You'll find the answers to 99% of your questions in these places.

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:33 am

This isn't meant to sound like a smart alec remark, so please don't take it the wrong way: in a shell, type "man tar" without the quotes. Lots of usefull tidbits there. Have a look at "man man" too.

I'd also add to Sincil's reading list: SGI techpubs. Everything you need to know about your new toy can be found there. IRIX Admin: System Configuration and Operation and Desktop User's Guide are are of particular interest.

Cheers.

dexter1

Re: Newbie question: How do i un-tar?

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:22 am

fahr wrote:For instance, how do I alt-tab? ;)

ALT-ESC

Has been mentioned before. Just in case you couldn't find it.

Return to “IRIX and Software”