Cool (open source) software you would like to see ported...

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
nathansvt

Unread postby nathansvt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:06 pm

nevermind this. just found the foetz package. yay! :arrow: I'd love to see the videolan client (VLC) in a working tardist. Supposedly it can be built from source but I've had no luck so far.

I guess while I'm wishing, I'd put mythtv on the list. I've got it on my linux and macosX boxes and it would be kind of cool to be able to run the frontend on my octane :lol:

Handbrake ( http://handbrake.m0k.org/contact.php ) would be nice too ;)
Last edited by nathansvt on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quasi

shadow-utils

Unread postby quasi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:28 am

How about the "shadow-utils" kit (http://shadow.pld.org.pl/). passmgmt works OK but it is missing
features that the above kit has, like the "-p" option and there is no groupmgmt for adding, deleting
and modifying groups on command lines.

fix

Gimp 2.2

Unread postby fix » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:13 pm

Given the broad usability improvements, GIMP 2.2 would be very nice.

Cheers,
/fix

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:58 pm

link:

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

Orbiter!

A truely great space simulator, with controlable vehicles, launch pads and great textures + the ability to design your own!
Not just plain planets and stars like Celesta and others.
The bad side is that it was written using Directx and the author of it has repetedly stated on it's forum (and I do not understand why since he comes from ospen source comunity) that he will not relese the code or atempt to translate to OpenGL. Few people have already tried to convice him about Unix ports on his forum but - nothing! :(

ka0s

Unread postby ka0s » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:23 pm

nekonoko wrote:
ka0s wrote:I would like to see CELESTIA running on my Irix !!!

This not working for you?

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/Nekow ... .2.tardist

Woow!!!
I didn't know it was already in the neko distribution!!!
This is faster than I could have imagined!

So the only wish I have left ( and that probably goes for many with me ) is Quicktime support.
Either in Mplayer or Mplayer plugin or any wich way!

Anyway cheers to all you SGI porters for the splendid job your doing!
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:36 pm

Uhhh, there is quicktime support in mplayer. Have a look at the native svq3 Sorensen codec support in schleusel's mplayer irix version 1.0pre5. Not all QT codecs have been reverse-engineered, but some should work fine.

foetz

Re: Gimp 2.2

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:03 pm

fix wrote:Given the broad usability improvements, GIMP 2.2 would be very nice.

Cheers,
/fix

i made gimp the day it came out.
have a look at my folder :P

yungjoon

Unread postby yungjoon » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:11 am

Hello,

Octane has very nice built-in audio features (analog/adat/aes in/out), good data streaming capabilities (scsi, 40MB/s). It could be a very nice machine for audio recording/editing and midi, like a Mac.

But no great audio soft has been ported for this plateform, that's really a pity. The best I have is glame ported by squeen (thanks to him!) but it can't be used for recording and has a limited effects set.

The only one, Nuendo from steinberg has been abandoned in 1998 and there is no way to find one today.

I saw a very nice one at http://ardour.org/

Is there any musician here?

jdboyd

Unread postby jdboyd » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:44 am

yungjoon wrote:Hello,

Octane has very nice built-in audio features (analog/adat/aes in/out), good data streaming capabilities (scsi, 40MB/s). It could be a very nice machine for audio recording/editing and midi, like a Mac.

But no great audio soft has been ported for this plateform, that's really a pity. The best I have is glame ported by squeen (thanks to him!) but it can't be used for recording and has a limited effects set.

I saw a very nice one at http://ardour.org/

Is there any musician here?

Ardour requires JACK, does it not? I don't know that anyone has ported Jack to Irix.

Also, check out a program called Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
That one should be an easier port. Last I looked, it lacked the ability to actually record/play audio on Irix, but that might not be hard to add. This program lacks automatic compensation for system latency when doing multitrack recording, but Irix has such a low latency that latency issues may be ignorable here. And, of course, if it isn't ignorable, it's not hard to nudge a track forward a few ms once it's been recorded.

gandalf

wxMotif

Unread postby gandalf » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:06 am

the cross-platform toolkit "wxWidgets" formerly known as wxWindows sport a Motif port. I didn't know that, I thought they were only gtk-crap, win and mac.

I don't know what the status of the port is, how it compiles on Irix and on mipspro. They are C++. Right now I am trying to get it compiled on my sparcstation.

having wxWidgets could open us the doors to several intersting applications (audio apps for example, which someone already mentioned here). Astronomy apps exist too (dexter...) and possibly many others not listed on their site.

It integtrates with OpenGL on other platforms, wonder how wxMotif is...

Also it would be intersting to let the wxWidgets team know Motif is still alive and maybe it can be "sgi-ized" and give us almost a naotive look. It would be magnificent IMHO!

So let's work on it! I'll let you know if I have anynews, but others try too :) And let the upstream team know we are interested!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:13 am

yungjoon wrote:Octane has very nice built-in audio features (analog/adat/aes in/out), good data streaming capabilities (scsi, 40MB/s). It could be a very nice machine for audio recording/editing and midi, like a Mac.

Actually, there are several audio applications around for Irix. There was someone at Princeton (?) who wrote quite a few. They were free downloads but might be difficult to find now. I have a couple of them - rt ? and some others. I'm not near them at the moment but can look Saturday if you're interested. Neko's probably already got them tho. There's a big-ass list of audio apps if you google. Maybe Irix and audio ? Plenty of dead links but a surprising number of live ones.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: wxMotif

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:17 am

gandalf wrote:the cross-platform toolkit "wxWidgets" formerly known as wxWindows sport a Motif port. I didn't know that, I thought they were only gtk-crap, win and mac.

I don't know what the status of the port is, how it compiles on Irix and on mipspro. They are C++. Right now I am trying to get it compiled on my sparcstation.

having wxWidgets could open us the doors to several intersting applications (audio apps for example, which someone already mentioned here). Astronomy apps exist too (dexter...) and possibly many others not listed on their site.

It integtrates with OpenGL on other platforms, wonder how wxMotif is...

Also it would be intersting to let the wxWidgets team know Motif is still alive and maybe it can be "sgi-ized" and give us almost a naotive look. It would be magnificent IMHO!

So let's work on it! I'll let you know if I have anynews, but others try too :) And let the upstream team know we are interested!

The company I work for does (commercial) UNIX software based on wxWindows / wxWidgets. It runs on IRIX too. :D
But according to our local wx guru, the Motif version lacks several widgets so all our UNIX versions use the GTK backend. Good thing there's an "SGI" theme for GTK.

yungjoon

Unread postby yungjoon » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:46 am

hamei wrote:Actually, there are several audio applications around for Irix. There was someone at Princeton (?) who wrote quite a few. They were free downloads but might be difficult to find now. I have a couple of them - rt ? and some others. I'm not near them at the moment but can look Saturday if you're interested. Neko's probably already got them tho. There's a big-ass list of audio apps if you google. Maybe Irix and audio ? Plenty of dead links but a surprising number of live ones.

I had ever done a search like this. But nothing relevant. I tried rt also which is good (has scripting features) but too close to multitracks software in irix bundle.

If jack could be ported, rosegarden or ardour could be THE audio/midi sofware. Another great audio soft is jmax from Ircam ( http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/rubrique.p ... ubrique=14 ).

I have no mipspro compiler licence (I am not a gifted developper). I tried to use gcc to re-compile rosegarden but realized that the work required knowledges that I have not unfortunately (not enough time).

But if someone is interested to begin audio softwares porting like ardour or rosegarden I would be glad to help.

I am convinced that the SGI machines could have been the audio/midi great station, like Atari Falcon has been (bult-in DSP and midi/audio in/out). The music computer world lacks a challenger like Atari could have been against PC(unstable)/mac(too expensive)...

Sparrowhawk

Unread postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:27 pm

My messed up list:
o Adobe Photoshop CS
o Adobe Illustrator CS
o Macromedia Dreamweaver
o Macromedia Fireworks
o Macromedia Flash
o Oracle 10G Database and App server
o OpenOffice
o Eclipse
o Autocad
o Java 1.5
o Blaster worm

Well, maybe I can live without Blaster... ;)

Cheers,

Shawn

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:
snip>>

o Autocad

Shawn, if you're doing architecture Autocad is okay. For anything mechanical, you don't want Autocrap. The world has passed them by. Wireframe cad systems are too dumb and if you really wanted a 3d wireframe program, Cadkey was always far superior to Autocrap. There was a Solaris version of Cadkey 6 around at one time - I even had the tape but gave it away :(

When you create a model in a solid modelling program such as pro/e or i-deas or even solid designer the program knows about the entity as if it were a real thing. When you create something in a wireframe app, all it knows is point, point, point and lines or arcs between point point point. There's no brains to a wireframe app. You can't do anything with the design after you've built it. The entities aren't connected together in any way except by accident.

The time you waste on Autocad could be put to much better use - unless you're an architect, of course. It's nice for that.

Irix already has really good CAD programs. What would be nice is a free one, but there aren't any for any platform that I know of. (The Linux-oriented freebies suck. Irit is probably closest to good + free .. go try it. Unh-hunh.)

Return to “IRIX and Software”