Cool (open source) software you would like to see ported...

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Nuke

Re: Cool (open source) software you would like to see ported...

Unread postby Nuke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 am

Well, the reason I said it wouldn't work out is exactly because it's alive. If they update their protocol like an ordinary messenger, it will gradually break the IRIX version, since we'll be too short-staffed to maintain it.

toasty

Unread postby toasty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:51 pm

Transmission, a popular bittorrent client for OS X and other *nix, has a component called "transmission-cli" which is just a simple command line client. Supports magnet links and UDP. It might be a nice replacement for neko_ctorrent, and since the efforts for libtorrent + rtorrent on IRIX seems to be dead end.

Can anyone with dev kung fu try to see if "transmission-cli" can be ported to IRIX?
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 pm

I won't do Transmission because I won't port GPL software, but I don't mind trying btpd instead - its MIT licensed, written in C and looks to be stable enough that it will work, probably either with gmake/MIPSPro or gmake/gcc
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

silicium

Unread postby silicium » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:12 pm

canavan wrote:MIDI-support in IRIX is really easy. Just see man mdIntro and check the sample source code that comes with IRIX in /usr/share/src/dmedia/midi.

Still interested in playing with PureData, I took time to rtfm, and compiled the simple scale demo. Its argument is a MIDI port name, which can be "Soft Synth" (default) or "Serial Port 1" (if 1st serial port has been configured as MIDI port in System Manager/Serial Ports). Then I extracted pd-0.34-3 archive on the Indigo2 (mips3), and MIDI out from test audio menu seems functional: the Soft Synth is playing on the internal speaker. I will try with a real MIDI interface. There are a few more recent versions with a makefile.irix.
How to replace gcc with mipspro in makefiles and what are the typical shell env variables required for a successful build ?
:Indigo2IMP:extreme :Octane2:V8 :O200: :Onyx2:IR2e

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:08 pm

silicium wrote:Then I extracted pd-0.34-3 archive on the Indigo2 (mips3), and MIDI out from test audio menu seems functional: the Soft Synth is playing on the internal speaker. I will try with a real MIDI interface. There are a few more recent versions with a makefile.irix.
How to replace gcc with mipspro in makefiles and what are the typical shell env variables required for a successful build ?

There's an IRIX binary of 34.3 here, or do you want to compile it yourself just for funzies?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

silicium

Unread postby silicium » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:10 am

I have tried pd-0.34-3, and want to find the most recent version that can be compiled but was released without IRIX binary.
:Indigo2IMP:extreme :Octane2:V8 :O200: :Onyx2:IR2e

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Speaking of MIDI, is there any decent lightweight general-purpose sequencer application for *nix that could run on IRIX? I took a look around at stuff in the Debian repositories during my last Linux experiment and it seems like everything there is either a full-scale Sibelius-style sheet-music notation program or a "because all anyone will ever want to do is techno loops!" FruityLoops clone, and all of them weighed in at obscene sizes...you'd think for a standard that's as old as the Commodore 64 and requires less than a 38.4Kbps serial connection, there would be some less ridiculously bloated software available.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

VeKTeReX

Unread postby VeKTeReX » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:53 am

commodorejohn wrote:Speaking of MIDI, is there any decent lightweight general-purpose sequencer application for *nix that could run on IRIX? I took a look around at stuff in the Debian repositories during my last Linux experiment and it seems like everything there is either a full-scale Sibelius-style sheet-music notation program or a "because all anyone will ever want to do is techno loops!" FruityLoops clone, and all of them weighed in at obscene sizes...you'd think for a standard that's as old as the Commodore 64 and requires less than a 38.4Kbps serial connection, there would be some less ridiculously bloated software available.

I like SEQ24 for simple stuff on Linux. To some degree, it emulates the older eight track hardware sequencers. Not sure if it could be compiled for IRIX, but it might be worth a shot. Nice synth collection BTW.
http://www.filter24.org/seq24/

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Mame. rTorrent(if not already in there somewhere), wolf3d, snes9x, mupen64(if it wasn't too demanding, but I'm not counting on that).
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

TypeZero

Unread postby TypeZero » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:21 pm

I'd just like to see a newer version of OpenSSH, personally.
:Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

TypeZero wrote:I'd just like to see a newer version of OpenSSH, personally.

how about this: viewtopic.php?p=7377731#p7377731

TypeZero

Unread postby TypeZero » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:10 am

foetz wrote:
TypeZero wrote:I'd just like to see a newer version of OpenSSH, personally.

how about this: viewtopic.php?p=7377731#p7377731

That's exactly what I'm after.
:Indigo2IMP:

jirka
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jirka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:08 am

It the Mosh possible? https://mosh.mit.edu

"Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It's more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links."
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:46 am

commodorejohn wrote:Speaking of MIDI, is there any decent lightweight general-purpose sequencer application for *nix that could run on IRIX?

Icon Catalog -> Media Tools -> Syntheditor

There's also Rosegarden 2.1

For really simple, I think you can use Midikeys to record.

There's more than that, but that's all the names I can remember off the top of my head. Cecilia ? What does Cecilia do ?
all the leaves are brown and the sky is grey ...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:48 am

jirka wrote:It the Mosh possible? https://mosh.mit.edu

"Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It's more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links."

this looked interesting so i gave it a shot. unfortunately these developers did not consider having anything else but glibc and gcc so even with gcc and quite some fixes it was a no-go.

Return to “IRIX and Software”