Problems with nsd

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
recondas

Problems with nsd

Unread postby recondas » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:22 pm

I picked up a R10K I2 the other day, came out of an (unused) corporate environment. I wouldn't have bit, but it has a full compliment of licensed MIPSpro complilers, including APO. At one time this company had a number of sgi systems, apparently including some rack mount MP systems. Those systems, and anyone who knew much about them are unfortunately long gone.

The OS is IRIX 6.5.14m

The system was set up with a number of autofs mounts (AFS?), and a very unusual list of groups. All the user (I say user, but there was no group 'user') home directories were located on one or another of the remote mounts. My best guess from the configuration was most users did remote logins.

If I boot 'single' - no problem.
If I boot with "chkconfig no network", no problem.
If I boot with networking enabled, the processor shows nearly 100% and the system is barely useable.
If I boot w/ networking enabled, and "chkconfig nsd off", the system runs fine (other than I can't resolve addresses).

The system log complains about "xdm: SetPerClientControls failed".

A re-install would be the obvious fix - but I hate to lose the MIPSpro stuff (I've already copied the license file - but don't have the disks to re-install the compilers).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:00 am

IRIX 6.5.14m is a broken IRIX. There are severe problems when using netscape/mozilla with the X library environment. I would suggest the following:

1) Buy a second, bigger disk, or get a SCSI-IDE adapter where you can mount an IDE disk on the adapter and put it on the sled.
2) Clone the entire disk. This is a nice site to read up on how to do it. You should also find it at Ian Mapleson's site, but it is down atm.
3) Store the original disk and make the copy the main root disk.
4) Upgrade to 6.5.22m with a download of IRIX from the free supportfolio site. Also download patch 5086 and install that first before you upgrade to 6.5.22!

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:48 am

The compiler license is in /var/flexlm/license.dat. Be sure and save that file.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:10 pm

dexter1 wrote:IRIX 6.5.14m is a broken IRIX.
1) Buy a second, bigger disk, or get a SCSI-IDE adapter where you can mount an IDE disk on the adapter and put it on the sled.
2) Clone the entire disk. This is a nice site to read up on how to do it. You should also find it at Ian Mapleson's site, but it is down atm.
3) Store the original disk and make the copy the main root disk.

Thanks for your help Dexter1. I've got a few larger disks here, and cloning and storing the original disks is advice I'll certainly follow <there are 2 internal disks, a 4 gig root and 2 gig option disk>.

dexter1 wrote: 4) Upgrade to 6.5.22m with a download of IRIX from the free supportfolio site. Also download patch 5086 and install that first before you upgrade to 6.5.22!

I've got both the patch and .22m overlays copied to a folder on the I2's option disk. I wanted to be sure the upgrade didn't:

1. Break the MIPSpro (7.3.1.3m, if I recall correctly) stuff - I seem to remember a post by Diego a while back w/ that very issue.

2. Make whatever nsd configuration issues I'm having worse. I'm not real familiar with AFS (google says it's the 'Andrew File System') and where additional configuration/control things happen. I've taken care of the obvious <to me> things; all AFS related chkconfig switches off, no obvious inetd calls, nothing in nsswitch.conf. I've noticed when the system boots with all the processor cycles taken there are multiple instances of cron and xdm showing in the process manager - but so far I haven't found the cause - just noticed the problem stops if I stop nsd.

Lots of unusual sys admin things with this box; the SU account was placed in the daemon group (rather than sys); dozens of listings in the 'groups' file, some fairly obvious 'marketing' 'mail', etc., some fairly obscure, but no 'user' or even 'usr' group. I *hope* an upgrade install will help. Again, thank you for your help.

squeen wrote: The compiler license is in /var/flexlm/license.dat. Be sure and save that file.

Thank you, too. I had to do the admin shell from the mini-root trick to re-set the password when I first got the box. I grabbed a copy of the license file while I was in there just to be sure I didn't hose something on my way out :oops:

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Just to follow up.... problem solved - and nsd turned out to be a symptom, not the disease. AFS was the problem. Seems it modifies the kernel, dynamically via ml, <interesting stuff tho, seems afs is primarily used as a componet of a distributed computing infastructure>. I found some info here

I cloned and switched disks, nuked AFS, installed patch 5086, and ran a live 'select recommended upgrades' install. Re-booted ran 'versions changed' and went with all new versions of the changed files. Did a 'chkconfig nsd on'. Everything seems to work as expected - no complaints in the syslog.

Thanks again,
recondas
<now to learn how to use the compilers - any suggestions for a simple 'first build'?>

Return to “IRIX and Software”