Batch downloading of the techpub library...

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
zone

Unread postby zone » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:17 pm

nekonoko wrote:
Sure, if someone can put together a tool to do that I don't see a problem with running it once a month or so.

OKee, Im not programer but visual artist and I'll be always glad to contribute here in kind of stuff which is in my domain.
As conceptual artist I may have concept but not necessary coding in hands experiance to do this part... however hope that soemeone with proper set of skills who may put some time in solving of this issue, and who'll come with solution, may laugh at this plea 'coz it was so simple.
Of course, *everything* is simple when you know IT.

ZoontF

Unread postby ZoontF » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:58 am

I'm no guru, but I spend a lot of time doing sys admin stuff split with web programming right now (in Perl with MySQL). I'm a trained programmer (i.e. CS degree with a practical focus). I'm hoping that once I get over my current work hump, I can start to contribute some stuff to Nekochan.

1) Forum backups would be good
2) Files/Downloads/Nekoware Search functions
3) Anything that springs to mind

I strongly agree with Zone's feelings about the importance of Nekochan to the SGI community. I just hope Neko is ready to accept the responsibility of hosting such an important resource. I don't know if Neko started this site with the plan to become *the* hub for the SGI non-corporate-user community, but he's in it now. A lot of us are depending on what one awesome guy does in his spare time with his own budget - we need to take as much responsibility off of his back as possible (but no more than he wants to give up to others) when it comes to maintaining and preserving this content.

On the original subject, I am trying to figure out how to mirror the Developer's toolbox. Unfortunately, they have spider protection, and wget keeps failing to spider the site. I may have to get dirty. Or political... "excuse me mailto:root@access.sgi.com, here's $50, may I have a copy of The Developer's Toolbox on CD? You don't really need to tell those suits upstairs that you're sharing a (foolishly) password protected site on CD do you?"

We can figure it out.

GeneratriX

Proxy-Cache

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:50 am

ZoontF wrote:Hmmmm.... I do not have a proxy server setup right now to test doing this. It is a good question. I'll see if I can rig one up to test this stuff out. Out of curiosity, what kind of proxy server are you running?

I have a third party firewalling, monthly payd to my ADSL ISP as an extra service, and I don't know what are the detailed specifications; I only know the port address, etc... just to setup correctly my clients.

In fact I've never really reached to get working FTP transfers, because independently of what they say, their firewall is blocking it! :(

Internally (locally on my office's server) I'm running a proxy cache (Squid), but it is only to distribute the sevice between my three O2 boxes, and negotiation of the Internet connection. My firewalling stage is by charge of my ISP (VeloCom). I could guess that they could be using there the omnipresent "Cisco" hardware firewalls... :roll: I don't know really...

I only can say that their method is really effective!
They have detected intrusions, reporting me detailed lists of domains, and blocked it very succesfully.

Cheers! ;)

BTW: I'm pretty sure that on my Unix training courses I have seen something like: '--proxy' and '--port', but I can't find the papers here on my messy office, and every attempt that I have tried is simply kicked out by my proxy... :(

GeneratriX

...Fifty Box?

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:12 am

ZoontF wrote:I strongly agree with Zone's feelings about the importance of Nekochan to the SGI community. I just hope Neko is ready to accept the responsibility of hosting such an important resource. I don't know if Neko started this site with the plan to become *the* hub for the SGI non-corporate-user community, but he's in it now. A lot of us are depending on what one awesome guy does in his spare time with his own budget - we need to take as much responsibility off of his back as possible (but no more than he wants to give up to others) when it comes to maintaining and preserving this content.

I'm completely on agreement with you.
Nekochan.Net is the best thing happened to the SGI community since the Jim Clark's initial idea.

We must contribute to preserve it! ;)

Sometimes in fact I dream that Chicago-Joe and Dr.Dave are finishing succesfully a line of cheaper MIPS processor upgrade cards for every model of SGI workstation; including a newly conceived "O3" third party clone of our beatiful O2, under their own brand and including all the lastest advances on computing technology and power!!! ;)

ZoontF wrote:On the original subject, I am trying to figure out how to mirror the Developer's toolbox. Unfortunately, they have spider protection, and wget keeps failing to spider the site. I may have to get dirty. Or political... "excuse me mailto:root@access.sgi.com, here's $50, may I have a copy of The Developer's Toolbox on CD? You don't really need to tell those suits upstairs that you're sharing a (foolishly) password protected site on CD do you?"

We can figure it out.

...Oh ...Oh! :roll:

I can't imagine the right way to start these conversation with the admin guy... :oops:
But if anyone kicks higher than me on SGI, and has a closer approach with any insider, I'll be glad to send him the U$D50 to get my own CD-R backup copy! ;)

I've not dedicated too much time to the public relations side by now; as far as every SGI people/employee who I've talked was very cool with me. But I could give it a try...

Cheers! ;)

Return to “IRIX and Software”