foetz's samba

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
unixmuseum

foetz's samba

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:44 pm

Hi there,
I got intrigued by the latest IRIX patch (samba 3.0.7 security fix) and decided to take a look at foetz's own samba 3 to see what's in version 3. I know it's not the same thing as the Samba Execution Environment that runs at $300/server. I imagine it's a separate CD anyway as it's nowhere to be found on the IRIX installs, apps & overlays... Maybe I didn't look hard enough...

My question lies more in the installation of foetz's samba: I looked up the tardist and it appears that this will overwrite the one I have (2.2.8a.2). It is also presented as "older version" by swmgr... I'm scawed :lol:

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:12 am

OK, uninstalled sgi's 2.2.8a and installed 3.0.10, works fine...

A little piece of advice though (actually 3) if you want to do that:
    - make sure you keep the boot scripts or you will have to recreate them,
    - make a copy of usr/samba/bin/swat from the old one as apparently it's missing from the 3.0.10 tardist
    - if you're using Impressario for printing, make sure you keep a copy of sambalp handy, otherwise life isn't going to be festive printing from Windblows.

The last one is what took me the longest to find out... I had happily tested 3.0.10 on one machine, everything went OK (after following #1 & #2). I then went on to upgrade the print server from 2.2.8a to 3.0.10. OUCH! Printing gibberish from Windows clients (actually postscript commands in plain text)!!! Had to go to samba's cvs to find sambalp from 2 years ago...

There is also a dependency to libiconv.so.3 which I got rid of by installing libiconv (really? oh susprising). BUT libiconv installs in /usr/locl, so I made copies into /usr/lib32 (alternatively, adding /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH).

Oh and BTW, if you were using fw_cups.sw.samba, it goes bye-bye when you uninstall 2.2.8a :lol:

This was somewhat painful, but yet another good learning experience!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:02 am

unixmuseum wrote:OK, uninstalled sgi's 2.2.8a and installed 3.0.10, works fine...

A little piece of advice though (actually 3) if you want to do that:
    - make sure you keep the boot scripts or you will have to recreate them,

i provide no scripts and i don't remove any.

- make a copy of usr/samba/bin/swat from the old one as apparently it's missing from the 3.0.10 tardist

swat is included but not installed by default. you should look at all subsystems :wink:

- if you're using Impressario for printing, make sure you keep a copy of sambalp handy, otherwise life isn't going to be festive printing from Windblows.
The last one is what took me the longest to find out... I had happily tested 3.0.10 on one machine, everything went OK (after following #1 & #2). I then went on to upgrade the print server from 2.2.8a to 3.0.10. OUCH! Printing gibberish from Windows clients (actually postscript commands in plain text)!!! Had to go to samba's cvs to find sambalp from 2 years ago...

sambalp is a script not installed by 'make install'. i have never noticed...
will do it in the future.

There is also a dependency to libiconv.so.3 which I got rid of by installing libiconv (really? oh susprising). BUT libiconv installs in /usr/locl, so I made copies into /usr/lib32 (alternatively, adding /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH).

don't know what iconv you installed but neko's libiconv resides in /usr/nekoware.

Oh and BTW, if you were using fw_cups.sw.samba, it goes bye-bye when you uninstall 2.2.8a :lol:

sure, i can't regard all one might has installed.
freeware's cups is some kind of script-paradise. tardists are no admin replacements :D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:55 am

foetz wrote:freeware's cups is some kind of script-paradise. tardists are no admin replacements :D

They can go a long way toward it though - it's quite easy to have a tardist run any number of pre or post install scripts to help set up a user's system during installation. It's more work on the part of the packager yes, but no fault of the tardist packaging system.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:02 am

foetz wrote:i provide no scripts and i don't remove any.

Noticed that... Uninstalling sgi's Samba naturally removes their script... I was just saying "keep a copy of sgi's scripts to better reuse them later". Just highlighting the fact that your tardist perfectly fits (well mostly) into sgi's prepackaged stuff... These were kuddos, not critics :lol:
foetz wrote:swat is included but not installed by default. you should look at all subsystems :wink:

Yes, the subsystem installs in sbin, not bin... The inetd.conf entry calls for bin/swat... No big deal, yours is more consistent. BTW, might want to add optionals for chkconfig entries (samba and winbind, or rac-saamba or foetz-samba) and init.d/rc2.d...
foetz wrote:sambalp is a script not installed by 'make install'. i have never noticed...

Nope, this is an sgi specific. As samba.org is not offering an sgi version, and also due to the fact that sgi doesn't want us to use Impressario, it's no surprise it isn't there... I saw some mentions of samba 3 sgi packaging in the cvs tree, apparently for the sgi commercial samba, not sure... Darn sgi!

foetz wrote:don't know what iconv you installed but neko's libiconv resides in /usr/nekoware.

Yours :lol: It's really no big deal, I was really happy to have only one dependency causing problems.

foetz wrote:sure, i can't regard all one might has installed.
freeware's cups is some kind of script-paradise. tardists are no admin replacements :D

That again is sgi's doing... We can't (and I wasn't) expect to have sgi freeware play nicely...

I certainly hope you didn't take any of my post as a critic of any kind. It isn't, the installation and setup was a breeze, to the exception of sambalp, which is really sgi trying to force us into dumping Impressario...
I think you've done a fantastic job, once again! Thanks a million foetz!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:30 am

nekonoko wrote:
foetz wrote:freeware's cups is some kind of script-paradise. tardists are no admin replacements :D

They can go a long way toward it though - it's quite easy to have a tardist run any number of pre or post install scripts to help set up a user's system during installation. It's more work on the part of the packager yes, but no fault of the tardist packaging system.

never said this.
but it happens sometimes that people think a package like a tardist, pkg or depot etc.
is some magic thing that will without any doubt know of all they want... :lol:

well, not exactly but that way...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:42 am

unixmuseum wrote:
foetz wrote:i provide no scripts and i don't remove any.

Noticed that... Uninstalling sgi's Samba naturally removes their script... I was just saying "keep a copy of sgi's scripts to better reuse them later". Just highlighting the fact that your tardist perfectly fits (well mostly) into sgi's prepackaged stuff... These were kuddos, not critics :lol:

ah, damn!
i'll retract all!! :lol:

foetz wrote:swat is included but not installed by default. you should look at all subsystems :wink:

Yes, the subsystem installs in sbin, not bin...

sure, this is samba's default.

The inetd.conf entry calls for bin/swat... No big deal, yours is more consistent. BTW, might want to add optionals for chkconfig entries (samba and winbind, or rac-saamba or foetz-samba) and init.d/rc2.d...

maybe i'll include init scripts some day...

foetz wrote:sambalp is a script not installed by 'make install'. i have never noticed...

Nope, this is an sgi specific.

yes, but it's included in the source package.

As samba.org is not offering an sgi version, and also due to the fact that sgi doesn't want us to use Impressario, it's no surprise it isn't there... I saw some mentions of samba 3 sgi packaging in the cvs tree, apparently for the sgi commercial samba, not sure... Darn sgi!

foetz wrote:don't know what iconv you installed but neko's libiconv resides in /usr/nekoware.

Yours :lol: It's really no big deal, I was really happy to have only one dependency causing problems.

ah, so where's the problem. mine installs in /usr/local what should be in everybody's paths.

foetz wrote:sure, i can't regard all one might has installed.

That again is sgi's doing... We can't (and I wasn't) expect to have sgi freeware play nicely...

I certainly hope you didn't take any of my post as a critic of any kind. It isn't, the installation and setup was a breeze, to the exception of sambalp, which is really sgi trying to force us into dumping Impressario...
I think you've done a fantastic job, once again! Thanks a million foetz!

cool :P :P
i never take this stuff personally but i try to deliver nice stuff to get the machines equipped
well.
you might have noticed that i'm quite fast so this can be a disadvantage sometimes.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:53 am

foetz wrote:sure, this is samba's default.

It is now, sgi's was pointing to /samba/bin, I was trying to reuse as much as possible of the scripts made by sgi... It's easier to edit inetd.conf that moving stuff around...
foetz wrote:maybe i'll include init scripts some day...

cool! let's "steal" the sgi scripts :lol:

foetz wrote:yes, but it's included in the source package.

It is? Cool! I wonder if it changed from the one I use... Most likely not...
foetz wrote:ah, so where's the problem. mine installs in /usr/local what should be in everybody's paths.

No real problem... My LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH doesn't include /usr/local/lib (I have some conflicts that prevented xvm mgr to start for some obscure reason).

foetz wrote:cool :P :P
i never take this stuff personally but i try to deliver nice stuff to get the machines equipped
well.
you might have noticed that i'm quite fast so this can be a disadvantage sometimes.

Hey man, once again, the stuff you build is of very good quality! Some of the issues I had were because I tried to reuse as much as possible from IRIX's installation... I have noticed you were quite fast, it's actually amazing that it is working so well... I know if I was trying to do that, I will butcher half of them!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:27 pm

unixmuseum wrote:
foetz wrote:sure, this is samba's default.

It is now,

it always was. just sgi changed it.

sgi's was pointing to /samba/bin, I was trying to reuse as much as possible of the scripts made by sgi... It's easier to edit inetd.conf that moving stuff around...
foetz wrote:maybe i'll include init scripts some day...

cool! let's "steal" the sgi scripts :lol:

hehe, let's see...

foetz wrote:yes, but it's included in the source package.

It is? Cool! I wonder if it changed from the one I use... Most likely not...
foetz wrote:ah, so where's the problem. mine installs in /usr/local what should be in everybody's paths.

No real problem... My LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH doesn't include /usr/local/lib (I have some conflicts that prevented xvm mgr to start for some obscure reason).

strange indeed.

foetz wrote:cool :P :P
well.

Hey man, once again, the stuff you build is of very good quality! Some of the issues I had were because I tried to reuse as much as possible from IRIX's installation... I have noticed you were quite fast, it's actually amazing that it is working so well... I know if I was trying to do that, I will butcher half of them!

hehe, nice. so we're all happy :P

Return to “IRIX and Software”