QEmu on IRIX, bye bye softwindows 95.

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
khalidschofield

Re: QEmu on IRIX, bye bye softwindows 95.

Unread postby khalidschofield » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Did it ever get ported
############################
Re-install with OpenBSD :)

necron2600

Re: QEmu on IRIX, bye bye softwindows 95.

Unread postby necron2600 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:22 pm

For years I never found QEMU for IRIX (compiled) anywhere until I started digging into GeneratriX's decade+ old SlimDesktop tardist/packages that were still available on this forum. And I was surprised to find a qemu IRIX binary in it. It is an older 0.6.1 version, but it does give possibilities now. The tardist also seems to provide IRIX patches to the orig qemu source code that we can possibly re-use for newer versions of QEMU.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7011&p=99168&hilit=slimdesktop+new+version#p99168

Attached is the qemu part (extracted tardist) of GeneratriX's slimdesktop.
QEMU works better than I expected with performance (600mhz Octane).. I was surprised.
NetBSD 7.1 works
ReactOS works (but an older version.. )
Windows98 works
I dont remember if XP was able to install in my tests. May be an issue with Qemu 0.6.1 and supporting XP,etc..?

However, the networking seems to be faulty somehow.. qemu will crash if a network is used (even a 'ping' or a dhcp request from inside the VM will crash it) so to get around that I have used -dummy-net when launching qemu.

I have not had any time to debug anything or recompile (first attempts failed .. with newer GCC than what GeneratriX used). Maybe someone else can take a shot at it?

Attached: note, this is not my compile.. just the qemu tardist(extracted files from the tardist) of GeneratriX's slimdesktop package.

qemu-from-slimdesktop.tar.gz
qemu 0.6.1 for IRIX mips3 (I think it was compiled with GCC)
(6.87 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

Return to “IRIX and Software”