Strange behaviour of Irix desktop and Firefox

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rmigfr

Strange behaviour of Irix desktop and Firefox

Unread postby rmigfr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:44 am

Hello,

Back from holliday I restarted my SGI (Octane with Irix 6.22f). I noticed two strange things:

- My desktop is very very long to appear (1 to 2 minutes). I got immediately the toolchest, the wallpaper, but for the desktop (desktop icons in fact), I must wait a long time.

- My firefox 0.8 (yes, not the last version) now crash each time I type something in the URL bar.

Where could I check for logs or error messages ? I really do not have any idea of what caused this, and I do not know what tosearch to resolve this.

Rémi

foetz

Re: Strange behaviour of Irix desktop and Firefox

Unread postby foetz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:22 pm

rmigfr wrote:Hello,

Back from holliday I restarted my SGI (Octane with Irix 6.22f). I noticed two strange things:

- My desktop is very very long to appear (1 to 2 minutes). I got immediately the toolchest, the wallpaper, but for the desktop (desktop icons in fact), I must wait a long time.

seems like something isn't starting right.
reduce startup stuff. clean up inetd.conf.

- My firefox 0.8 (yes, not the last version) now crash each time I type something in the URL bar.

you should get an error message.
start it via terminal to see more.

Where could I check for logs or error messages ? I really do not have any idea of what caused this, and I do not know what tosearch to resolve this.

Rémi

/var/adm

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:33 am

Is your network, especially DNS working OK?
The IRIX desktop doesn't like having no DNS.

IIRC, it also takes a while for the clogin screen to appear and you get messages about objectserver not responding. Hope this helps.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:45 am

jan-jaap wrote:Is your network, especially DNS working OK?
The IRIX desktop doesn't like having no DNS.

IIRC, it also takes a while for the clogin screen to appear and you get messages about objectserver not responding. Hope this helps.

well, at first startup you have the default ip and net is disabled.
an entry in hosts with at least your machine and the ip you assigned should do it.

rmigfr

Re: Strange behaviour of Irix desktop and Firefox

Unread postby rmigfr » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:04 pm

foetz wrote:seems like something isn't starting right.
reduce startup stuff. clean up inetd.conf.

I checked inetd.conf. Ouch, what can I do ? I never edited this config file before.

you should get an error message.
start it via terminal to see more.

I started firefox in the terminal. Typed something on the url field. Firefox just freeze. No error message in the terminal. I must terminate firefox with a CTRL+C

/var/adm

Ok I checked the SYSLOG. I found two thing. A sendmail error (never configured sendmail on this box) and the following error message:

Aug 3 21:48:48 6B:Alcantara Xsession: rgiroux: logname: pas de compte d'acchs (login name)

Curious, a message in french (except the acchs, access perhaps).

Return to “IRIX and Software”