xmms problems

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
armoury

xmms problems

Unread postby armoury » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:37 pm

Greetings all... Sorry for all the stupid questions of late. I've run into some oddities while trying to run xmms and play a mp3 file. It starts fine, but when I try to load a file I get the following:

indigo2 14% /usr/freeware/bin/xmms
sh: unzip: not found
Bus error (core dumped)
indigo2 15%

Any suggestions? unzip is installed, yet it gets that error. Should I have /usr/freeware/bin/ in my path? I had some problems getting the path set anyway, no matter what I tried or whose instructions I followed it didn't quite work properly (still gotta fiddle with that a bit).

Once again, thanks :-)

Best Regards:

Eric

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:52 pm

Hello,
Can you confirm that 'unzip' is actually working? Make sure you can decompress some *.zip files (unzip -v -v; create a *.zip file with 'zip file.zip file'), and re-run the FixPath shell script located in /usr/freeware/bin; I don't run XMMS my self, but this looks like a path-related issue. :)

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:14 pm

I ran into that when setting up a new account as well

What I did to solve it was setup bash as my default shell and then runt the "fixpath" utility that usually resides in the /usr/freeware/bin folder. I'm not sure if you have to install that utility manually or it get installed with something, but that's how I fixed that problem. I'm sure there are more ways than just that, but htat's the easiest way I know of.

armoury

Unread postby armoury » Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:40 am

I got rid of the unzip issue by just making a symlink to unzip in the freeware directory. The "bus error" is the part that's really makin me wonder though...

Peculiar...

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:26 am

I get similar errors though without the bit about unzip, on some of my songs playing with XMMS...
Some mp3s, just won't play with it, causing core dumps...

Odd, because on my linux box XMMS will play them fine, as will mpg123 on my SGI...

armoury

Unread postby armoury » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:56 am

It appeared to just be the mp3 I was playing. AMP plays it, but not XMMS. I did get a different mp3 to load up, and it *looks* like it's playing by the analyzer hoppin 'round, but there's just static coming out of the speaker. I did change the player pref to IRIX-audio so it should be using the right thing... Odd...

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:18 am

I'm not sure why the error comes up when when you are attempting to play an mp3, but xmms needs unzip to support WinAMP style skins, which are basically standard zipfiles with graphics elements bundled inside.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

lisp

CRASHING XMMS FIX

Unread postby lisp » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:32 am

Yes, XMMS *will* crash on certain mp3s.

But *only* if you have ID3v2 support enabled.

Disable it and the problem goes away.
--
lisa

Return to “IRIX and Software”