Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: installing cu?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 pm 

Ok, I need to access the serial console on my AlphaServer from my Indy (its the only machine within the null modem cables reach). I have the proper cables all connected, now I just need a communications program.

I have read that "cu" is probably what I want but only the man page for it seems to be installed. I have read something about an eoe.sw.uucp package but I have no clue how to install it. Ive put all my IRIX 6.5 and 6.5.4 overlay CDs through the graphical package manager but I don't see any such package listed.

System is running Irix 6.5.4 and I have a full set of CDs for 6.5 plus the 6.5.2 and 6.5.4 overlay disc sets. Any hints on how to get cu installed? I really have no idea what I am doing at the moment.

Post subject: Re: installing cu?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 pm 

eoe.sw.uucp is a subsystem of "eoe," aka the "IRIX Execution Environment."

eoe has many subsystems, some which are not installed by default, e.g. eoe.sw.uucp.

Use swmgr with the "show subsystems" view. I forget exactly which cd eoe.sw.uucp is on, but you'll need at least one of your 6.5.4 overlay cds and one of the original 6.5.0 cds to complete the installation. Once the cds are loaded, eoe.sw.uucp should be visible in the "show subsystems" view.

Another way to do it is to use the "inst" command on the command line.

Type "inst", load your cds, then type "k *" (means "keep everything") followed by "i eoe.sw.uucp" (means install eoe.sw.uucp), followed by "conflicts" (you can step through any installation conflicts that have arisen).

As an aside, you'll probably want to think about upgrading to something a little more recent, like IRIX 6.5.22 (read some FAQs before doing that, though), so that you can use all the cool Nekoware, etc.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 pm 

josehill wrote:

Type "inst", load your cds, then type "k *" (means "keep everything") followed by "i eoe.sw.uucp" (means install eoe.sw.uucp), followed by "conflicts" (you can step through any installation conflicts that have arisen).

That worked nicely. Now if only I could get the machine to accept my box of two "normal" SCSI CD-ROM drives without the HDD disappearing (when connected without id conflicts the hdd is replaced by the two CD-ROM drives) because the old caddy loading CD-ROM drive is a real pain with only a single caddy and a pile of CDs.

josehill wrote:
As an aside, you'll probably want to think about upgrading to something a little more recent, like IRIX 6.5.22 (read some FAQs before doing that, though), so that you can use all the cool Nekoware, etc.

yeah, Ive been planning to get someone to download it for me (only got 42k dial-up at the moment). Getting access to the nekoware/freeware stuff has been a priority lately as I lack a license to use with my MIPSpro CD which limits what I can do with the machine a bit. I currently have someone rsyncing freeware.sgi.com for me so I can install stuff from my server rather than the internet - after that I will have to get him to grab the 6.5.22 overlay discs.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 pm 

josehill wrote:

Hint:
The same is possible in SWMGR when you enable the command line from on of the upper right pulldown menus. Its not activated by default.

regards
Joerg