Newbee needs help with error message...

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Newbee needs help with error message...

Unread postby uunix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 am

Well, still saying the disk is bad, but to keep you entertained are you able to run the network setup from the tool chest?

Depending on your version of IRIX, this can be done through SYSTEM --> SYSTEM MANGER and then Networking & Connectivity. I can't recall earlier versions tbh.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:24 am

Don't mean to be a total buzzkiller - but you may want to reconsider your idea of using this machine for any type of 3D experiments. This Indy's hardware configuration is particularly low-end and wont give you much joy with regard to 3D.

However, once you get it up and running (replace disk + IRIX reinstall) you will find that it will be an _excellent_ machine for learning some good old Unix Command Line stuff. Of course you could do that in a Terminal on your shiny 2018 Mac, but it's just more fun on a period piece like the Indy :)

J
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

hansolo15

Unread postby hansolo15 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 am

uunix wrote:Well, still saying the disk is bad, but to keep you entertained are you able to run the network setup from the tool chest?

Depending on your version of IRIX, this can be done through SYSTEM --> SYSTEM MANGER and then Networking & Connectivity. I can't recall earlier versions tbh.

When I bring up the system manager, I get thus message:
Chost: cannot communicate with IRIS. Perhaps there is no objectsever available on this system.

hansolo15

Unread postby hansolo15 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:59 am

jimmer wrote:Don't mean to be a total buzzkiller - but you may want to reconsider your idea of using this machine for any type of 3D experiments. This Indy's hardware configuration is particularly low-end and wont give you much joy with regard to 3D.

However, once you get it up and running (replace disk + IRIX reinstall) you will find that it will be an _excellent_ machine for learning some good old Unix Command Line stuff. Of course you could do that in a Terminal on your shiny 2018 Mac, but it's just more fun on a period piece like the Indy :)

J

O, your not a buzzkill at all. :D I'm not expecting any flashing 3d computability from this oldy.
I do my serious 3d stuff on my mac. But it's more of a nostalgic thing. I like to fiddle with old systems.
I made my own 'black hardware' nextstep machine from an old PC and I made a BeBox from another PC.
I run loads of old systems in emulation and have a substantial old mac collection. All just good fun.
And i'm no code wizzard what so ever. :D

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:39 am

As others have said, I'd recommend replacing the disk and going for a fresh IRIX install (you should be able to find IRIX CDs on eBay if you look around, and the Indy can install IRIX over the network - check out Dina for this).

The Indy will take some 80pin SCA drives with an adapter, so you can fit a more modern and larger disk to it (I use similar drives/adapters in my Indigo2). Note though that with only 64MB of RAM, IRIX 6.5 will not run well at all as it's too heavy for that system. It'd run OK if you upped the RAM to 128MB (or ideally 256MB). However for 64MB, IRIX 5.3 would be a lot more responsive.

Given the issues you're having, a fresh install and ideally a replacement of the system disk would be a good bet. It's always going to be difficult trying to rescue a broken IRIX install on a possibly failing hard drive.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

hansolo15

Unread postby hansolo15 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 am

Trippynet wrote:As others have said, I'd recommend replacing the disk and going for a fresh IRIX install (you should be able to find IRIX CDs on eBay if you look around, and the Indy can install IRIX over the network - check out Dina for this).

The Indy will take some 80pin SCA drives with an adapter, so you can fit a more modern and larger disk to it (I use similar drives/adapters in my Indigo2). Note though that with only 64MB of RAM, IRIX 6.5 will not run well at all as it's too heavy for that system. It'd run OK if you upped the RAM to 128MB (or ideally 256MB). However for 64MB, IRIX 5.3 would be a lot more responsive.

Given the issues you're having, a fresh install and ideally a replacement of the system disk would be a good bet. It's always going to be difficult trying to rescue a broken IRIX install on a possibly failing hard drive.

Thanks Trippynet for all this info and good advice. I will consider.

Return to “IRIX and Software”