IRIX remote install from macOS

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
JacquesT

IRIX remote install from macOS

Unread postby JacquesT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Hiya,

I've started setting up my MacPro as server for a fresh Irix 6.5.30 install following this guide

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_Network_Installation_from_OS_X

It seems that 10.12 doesn't have rsh or the associated daemon / plist files. Is there an alternative available?

Ta.

J

edit: can I substitute with ssh?
:Octane: - 1xR12k 400Mhz, 1GB RAM, V8 GFX, 36Gb 15K HDD, 6.5.30
:Octane: - 1xR12k 300Mhz, 384Mb RAM, SSE GFX, 18Gb 10K HDD, 6.5.30
:O2: - 180Mhz R5k, 128Mb RAM, 36Gb 15K RPM HDD, A/V Module, 4x CD-ROM, 6.5.22m

dexter1

Re: IRIX remote install from macOS

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 pm

I'm not familiar with OSX, but isn't rshd on the list of supported services? You could try to enable that.

If that solution doesn't fly, it may be possible to run a docker which has the required services set up.
I have created such a docker based on debian on https://hub.docker.com/r/dexter1/irix-install/
I don't know if it works on OSX though...

About ssh, it is originally designed to act as a secure replacement for rsh. I don't think you can reverse the ssh design and make it rsh-server compatible with old machines which require that. For that purpose i have resorted to the rsh-redone-server package on debian which is as close as a vanilla rsh server i could get.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks dexter, I know rsh was in El Capitan 10.11 (slightly broken on incoming connections) but cannot find it in 10.12 at all as it appears Apple omitted in favour of ssh.

Have never used a docker, may have to look at doing a simple debian install on a spare drive.

Edit: ...or can I just fire up a VM Debian install and do it through that?

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

JacquesT wrote:Have never used a docker, may have to look at doing a simple debian install on a spare drive.

Edit: ...or can I just fire up a VM Debian install and do it through that?

Well a Debian install on a spare drive would be a bit overkill, but before you go that route, try a docker or a VM. I made the docker just to have a simple lightweight alternative to a fully fledged VM solution.

We do have a VM image which can do IRIX installs, and that is DINA from http://shiftleft.com/mirrors/dina.harrydebug.com/
The DINA VM requires VMPlayer so i'm not sure you can use that on OSX. If you want to go VM, best is to start with Debian and configure your rsh and bootp/tftp servers in there.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 am

dexter1 wrote:We do have a VM image which can do IRIX installs, and that is DINA from http://shiftleft.com/mirrors/dina.harrydebug.com/
The DINA VM requires VMPlayer so i'm not sure you can use that on OSX. If you want to go VM, best is to start with Debian and configure your rsh and bootp/tftp servers in there.

VMware's Player doesn't run on OSX, but you can download the full VMware Fusion program and run it as a 30 day demo with all features available. With a little tweaking, you might also be able to get the VM to run in VirtualBox or the free version of Parallels for the Mac, Parallels Lite.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 am

JacquesT wrote:Thanks dexter, I know rsh was in El Capitan 10.11 (slightly broken on incoming connections) but cannot find it in 10.12 at all as it appears Apple omitted in favour of ssh.

Correct. Apple dropped rsh, rcp, rlogin, and a few other related commands as of Sierra (10.12). I've updated the wiki accordingly. Thanks.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 am

Just to close this off, I ended up installing Irix 6.5.26 via a Debian 'server' I set up on a spare disk in my MacPro. It took a while (a looong while!) as I'm not familiar with remote access / networking etc. I chose this route more in the interest of learning something about Debian and fiddling about with linux. I do intend to replicate the install on a spare disk so that I can document the route I took and post it here for those in the same boat as me.

I had to use the information contained in various tutorials / how-to guides as no single guide offered all the solutions (as can be expected I suppose).

Coupled with this I'm doing some fairly useful noise reduction on my Octane in relation to the HDD bay fan, XBow fan and PSU fan, all of which I intend to photograph and stick on here, when time permits. As it stands I can happily run my Octane right next to me with it sounding like a normal Dell / HP workstation, ok, maybe a tiny bit louder but not so much you'd notice. :mrgreen:

Return to “IRIX and Software”