Discreet Effect

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Discreet Effect

Unread postby uunix » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Anyone using this?

I have it installed and working well after jumping over a few pitfalls.

And, it actually works really well. It's old I know, and the capturing of video in is a bit strange after you are used to just clicking your pen, but it's quite rock solid.

I have it at work attached to the input and output of a AJA board fitted to a G5 MacPro running FC. Brilliant, works like a charm.

Anyone need advice or help let me know.

BTW, to import, as with all discreet (and I suppose the universe) you need something to import with, in my case, an AV/2 card. I will though test it with an AV/1 and the digital o2 camera.

You can of course use these without having video import, and thus just edit stuff, but then you have to get your media somehow.

You do need a stoneFS, be it the second hard drive installed in the o2 or an external device.

Also, the o2 it's running on, has a small amount of memory and a non-super CPU and runs fine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Re: Discreet Effect

Unread postby Hombre71 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Do I smell a tutorial?
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

earlier version of Effect (6?) I think you were able to just specify a framestore file that resided on the XFS filesystem. I think the requirement to have a dedicated harddrive as a stoneFS came with Effect 7 (?)

Interesting note I think the later version of Effect (8?) was renamed to Spark and it required a R10k CPU (well, you could start it with a R5k but it would bomb out very quicky...). I would have to dig out my o2 to verify this stuff if needed...

I'm going off memory here so forgive me if I mixed up the versions.

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Solutions to your pitfalls would be great to hear! Success stories after fumbling around is always a good read .. and its education for all ;)
I tried installing that in the past and the installer was not working out of box (on 6.5.29) so I put it on the backburner.
Maybe some new SGI users may want to know more about stoneFS and what that all entails...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 am

gijoe77 wrote:earlier version of Effect (6?) I think you were able to just specify a framestore file that resided on the XFS filesystem. I think the requirement to have a dedicated harddrive as a stoneFS came with Effect 7 (?)

Interesting note I think the later version of Effect (8?) was renamed to Spark and it required a R10k CPU (well, you could start it with a R5k but it would bomb out very quicky...). I would have to dig out my o2 to verify this stuff if needed...

I'm going off memory here so forgive me if I mixed up the versions.

I was unaware of that gijoe, removed the old wire+tap and installed the latter 2.6.5 version, BUT.. I am sure, and maybe I will have to go through the process again, but it would not fire up without a stone and sw_config, would only look at drives?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Titox

Unread postby Titox » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:11 am

You can import with AV1 perfectly. I did to record some PlayStation games video.

And no, you don't need an Stone array in effect* 7.1. You can specify a file on your main hardisk. In my O2 I use a dedicated second hard disk as framestore (I have a R5200SXC 300MHz).

Code: Select all

# Filesystem in system disk. 200 is size in MB
FrameStore   /usr/tmp/EFFECT.fs, "", 200

# FrameStore in second hdd (or external)
FrameStore   /dev/rdsk/dks0d2s7

If I recall correctly you need to start with effect -v to initialise the FrameStore.

Importing clips is similar to Smoke or Flame but more limited in formats. I did some imports of video but never tried with audio.
Alberto (Between the TV and the sofa)
:Fuel: :Octane2: :1600SW: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo:
http://www.f3b.es
http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Return to “IRIX and Software”