anyone else runs into Stone+Wire config issues? SOLVED

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gijoe77

anyone else runs into Stone+Wire config issues? SOLVED

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:04 am

It seems like every time I mess with sw_config, I run into a new sort of issue. Anyone have any insight into this error?

Code: Select all

[notice] 0 CoMsgLogger.cpp:109 08/10/17:04:30:48.755 Command line: '/usr/discreet/sw/sw_config'
[notice] 0 swc_disk_config_screen.C:3314 08/10/17:04:30:58.915 Requesting filesystem creation on partition 0 .
[notice] 0 swc_disk_config_screen.C:3722 08/10/17:04:30:59.848 Partition 0 inode count: 140012
[notice] 0 swc_disk_config_screen.C:3729 08/10/17:04:30:59.848 Partition 0 RAM usage: 44805120 bytes (42.73 MB)
[warn] 0 swc_disk_array.C:1093 08/10/17:04:30:59.851 Some partitions have no parity disk.
[error] 0 swc_disk_config_screen.C:2363 08/10/17:04:31:01.169 Saving device information failed.  ioctl SWR SET CONFIG  failed for partition 0 (/dev/swr00)
Partition 7 of disk 0 has zero blocks.

Basically I cloned my Tezro HDD and put that and my stonefs drive (the 2nd disk in the Tezro) away for safe keeping. I am using the cloned drive with no problems and I put a new bigger drive into the Tezro to use as a stonefs. sw_config keeps erroring out with the "partition 7 of disk 0 has zero blocks".

I uninstalled stone+wire, removed the "/usr/discreet/sw" dir (basically all that was left in it was my backed up configs and logs), then reinstalled stone+wire and I get the same error.

sw_config repartitions the drive if its not partitioned correctly - partition 7 is there, I can also make a xfs filesystem on it and mount it no problem. I was hoping to avoid doing a complete uninstall and fresh install of the discreet stuff, perhaps someone might have some insight?
Last edited by gijoe77 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: anyone else runs into Stone+Wire config issues?

Unread postby uunix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 am

When creating the Partition in sw_config, try swapping around the off-set and length.
You need to be in CREATE mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:05 am

Seems offset and length options are grey'd out for me :cry:

20170810_055328.jpg

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 am

Clicking on the partition should bring it to life. I would go with CLEAR & Then ADD & CREATE other wise, it will complain it's in use.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:02 am

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot. I actually just left work where I had that tezro, but I brought the drive with me to try in another tezro I have home so I will play with it some more.

Edit: although it would make sense if I could change the offset from 0, I think the volume header of that disk was blocks 0 and 1, partition 7 started at block 2...
Edit2: or maybe that doesn't make sense, I'm tired

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 am

gijoe77 wrote:Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot. I actually just left work where I had that tezro, but I brought the drive with me to try in another tezro I have home so I will play with it some more.

Edit: although it would make sense if I could change the offset from 0, I think the volume header of that disk was blocks 0 and 1, partition 7 started at block 2...
Edit2: or maybe that doesn't make sense, I'm tired

None makes sense to me, I kept getting a similar error for months, and then just tried swapping them round and hey presto, it worked with any drive, any size even my fc array. Ignore what you know, and just go with the force.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:22 am

So I did the exact same thing with my tezro at home and it worked first try (partition zero was active and the offset and length were grayed out).

I did notice if I selected a different partition other than 0, the offset and length fields were changeable, but thankfully I didn't need to mess with it.

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 am

For the life of me I can't seem to get this stonefs created on the problem Tezro. It was effortless on the other Tezro - oh well. BTW I see what you were saying about changing the offset and length. I have to clear the disk, and while it is white I can change around the parameters.

edit:
I've been looking at the swr2cfg file in the volume header of the stone disk and I am starting to suspect that the sw_config tool is rather dense and it might be confusing disk1 (root disk, has no partition 7) with disk2 (stone disk, has the partition 7). looks like the swr2cfg file just goes by HDD model string and serial number string, and both disks are identical models - I wouldn't be surprised if the tool just see's the first drive that matches the HDD model string then checks for partition 7 .. and then looks at the serial. I can't test this at the moment but I will circle back one day and will see if that is indeed the case (would explain other times I had strange problems too..)

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 am

what do you know - that was exactly the issue - sw_config is pretty dumb.

I put the system disk in slot 2, stone disk in slot 1, changed the PROM parameters to boot off disk 2, and sw_config had no problems making the stone disk. It literally walks the SCSI ID chain, looks at the HDD name/string, then looks for partition 7, so if you have a system disk or another disk on the same SCSI channel as the wanna-be stone, but it appears earlier on the ID chain, and they are the same make and model, its gonna fail.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: anyone else runs into Stone+Wire config issues? SOLVED

Unread postby uunix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:17 am

Ah, that is good to know chap, nice find.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Return to “IRIX and Software”