What is a Complete Software Set

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
HurricaneJames

What is a Complete Software Set

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I am about to dive into IRIX head first :D. While I wait for my :Octane: hardware to come together 8-), I'm trying to piece together the software side of things :?. However, I have not used IRIX in nearly 20 years. Further, I was a mere user at the time, not an admin, so my IRIX system level knowledge is lacking. That said, I have since gained substantial Linux/BSD administration experience.

My goal is to have a fully functional IRIX system with a development environment. Demo applications would be nice as I hope to bore my wife's friends and guests into not coming back :P. Inventor and/or Performer would also be nice to have. I am not expecting to run any professional software.

From reading these forums, and a bunch of other sites, I know I should be running IRIX 6.5.30. I have been looking around for the necessary CDs, but :shock: there is a bewildering array of discs one might need. Which leads me to my question.

:?: What are all of the CDs necessary to install IRIX, a development environment, and some demo applications?

So far I know about:
  • Installation Tools & Overlays 1
  • Overlays 2
  • Overlays 3
  • Foundation 1
  • Foundation 2
  • Applications
  • Complementary Applications
  • Development Foundation
  • Development Libraries

:?: Am I missing any CDs here? Also, do I need to look for specific versions of any of these CDs for IRIX 6.5.30?

Apologies if this has already been addressed. I searched for, and read, a lot. However,I have not found everything listed in one place and want to make sure I have put together the disjointed info I have correctly. Thanks!
:320: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

josehill

Re: What is a Complete Software Set

Unread postby josehill » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 pm

HurricaneJames wrote: :?: What are all of the CDs necessary to install IRIX, a development environment, and some demo applications?

So far I know about:
  • Overlays 2
  • Overlays 3
  • Foundation 1
  • Foundation 2
  • Applications
  • Development Foundation
  • Development Libraries

:?: Am I missing any CDs here? Also, do I need to look for specific versions of any of these CDs for IRIX 6.5.30?

The "complete" IRIX 6.5.30 was sold as either a workstation bundle or as a server bundle. Both bundles contained all of the CDs you listed, which are considered the "Core" IRIX CDs, since they contain everything that is needed for a complete, default installation of IRIX. The bundles also contained some optional CDs that differed between the bundles, but none of those CDs were required for a fully functioning IRIX installation. For IRIX 6.5.30, you'll need the following specific versions of the CDs:

June 1998
  • IRIX 6.5 Foundation 1 CD
  • IRIX 6.5 Foundation 2 CD
  • IRIX 6.5 Development Foundation CD

(Note: MIPSpro compilers were not included as part of IRIX, but had to be ordered separately. If you also are installing MIPSpro compilers, you may require a later version of the Development Foundation CD, e.g. version 1.2 or 1.3, depending on the specific version of MIPSpro you are installing. In such a case, the appropriate version of the Development Foundation CD would have been included with the compiler package.)
    February 2003
  • IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries CD
    August 2006
  • Overlays 2
  • Overlays 3
  • Applications

Demo CDs were hardware specific, and were bundled with the hardware, i.e. they were not part of IRIX itself. Therefore, if you have an Octane, look for an Octane Demos CD. If you have an O2, look for an O2 Demos CD, and so on.

If you plan on doing development, you'll need a compiler "front end," which means that you will need either the MIPSpro Front End CD for the compiler of your choice, or you will need an appropriate GNU compiler (GCC).

Also note that depending on your specific installation preferences and selections, you may not actually require every CD that you listed.

More information about the CD sets is at http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_6.5_E ... nd_CD_Sets

devv

Unread postby devv » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:06 am

You can also take a look at the following two pages:

For tips&tricks:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Modern_IRIX

For a description of the installation:
http://techpubs.spinlocksolutions.com/i ... linux.html
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was trying to find in one place.
:320: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

Return to “IRIX and Software”