Indigo Fresh Install Problems

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ScutBoy
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo Fresh Install Problems

Unread postby ScutBoy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 am

robespierre wrote:The jumpers to set the block size on the XM-xxxx drives are pads on the circuit board that you can cut with an X-Acto knife. You normally cut the outermost pad (see http://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/docume ... re/40.html).

Yes - this. I have at least one Toshiba drive where I had to do this to work with old Suns. I have it in a marked enclosure so I a) can find it and b) don't accidentally toss/lend it to someone.

I also concur that shorter SCSI cable is better.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image

Daniel80486

Unread postby Daniel80486 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:45 am

pentium wrote:A six foot scsi cable?? :shock:

I'm probably wrong... it seems longer than 3 feet and I took a guess. :?
:Indigo: :Cube:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 am

pentium wrote:A six foot scsi cable?? :shock:

Due to a particularly challenging data center space issue, I once had a RAID unit sitting 40 feet away from a Power Challenge. I had 50 foot SCSI cables custom made to resolve the situation. They were extremely well made, almost an inch thick, and they worked great! (The SCSI busses were high voltage differential SCSI, which, according to the HVD SCSI spec, supported maximum lengths of 75 feet, IIRC.)

...but yeah, with standard, low voltage, single-ended SCSI, I always tried hard to keep individual cables short (12 inches or less) and fat (well insulated) and to stay well under a six foot total run length.

Return to “IRIX and Software”