Why can't we sell/trade original commercial software?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Pegasus

Why can't we sell/trade original commercial software?

Unread postby Pegasus » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 am

Hello.

I see my posts about selling originals of Corel DRAW! for UNIX and Adobe Premiere for SGI have been taken down, per the forum rules so that's fine.

But why does that rule exist? Can someone enlighten me? Of course I understand not trading pirated stuff, but what's wrong with original licenses if they've been removed from the machine they were on?
Pegasus/RPG of the Commodore 64!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2:

dexter1

Re: Why can't we sell/trade original commercial software?

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 am

Hello Pegasus,

The rule exist because in the past the forum was subject to response from SGI about copyright infringement on this site.
Nekonoko, the forum admin, decided to put this rule in effect to avoid any legal issues from any company.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue May 09, 2017 11:11 am

Yeah we can't be too careful about patent/copyright trolls.

You can try selling the software at vcfed or on eBay, otherwise, you could always discuss this privately with your buyers.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm

We are stuck in a catch 22.
We need a site, not affiliated with neckochan whatsoever run by person[s] willing to take the chance.
Everyone needs to know about it, but we cannot advertise it here.
And here is where everyone comes for SGI related info...

What we need is .. 'the purple web'.. or blue, indigo, green.

I feel dirty even talking about this stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue May 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Part of the issue is that a lot of software licenses do state that they aren't transferable. Not all of course, but plenty do mention it. Hence with such software, even though you've bought a legal license, it can be illegal to re-sell it.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 pm

uunix wrote:We are stuck in a catch 22.
We need a site, not affiliated with neckochan whatsoever run by person[s] willing to take the chance.
Everyone needs to know about it, but we cannot advertise it here.
And here is where everyone comes for SGI related info...

What we need is .. 'the purple web'.. or blue, indigo, green.

I feel dirty even talking about this stuff.

I do agree. Someones whose got nothing to lose.

There has to be a software depot. Somewhere.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue May 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Trippynet wrote:Part of the issue is that a lot of software licenses do state that they aren't transferable. Not all of course, but plenty do mention it. Hence with such software, even though you've bought a legal license, it can be illegal to re-sell it.

that also depends on the country to some extend. in germany for example i never had problems in that regard. in usa however this used to be a no-go and since we're an international, usa based forum it's a tricky situation.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:09 am

Krokodil wrote:There has to be a software depot. Somewhere.

Viewed from outer space , planet Earth provides a pleasing blue and white view. I want to believe there has to be brains depot. Somewhere, out of there. May be on Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to the Solar System, being 4.37 light-years :)
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 am

What's particularly irksome is that if you call any of these commercial software vendors and ask to buy their IRIX versions they will not sell them to you! Autodesk made a huge mistake when they discontinued the Maya personal learning edition, their 30 day free trial is useless, unless you spend 8 hours a day for that 30 day period you will barely have climbed the learning curve at all. You'd think they'd let people trade 10 year old versions of their software, which they will not sell you no matter how many frogskins you wave in their faces, the big benefit to them would be that people will like the software and want to buy the latest version... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Autodesk have moved to perpetual licensing for 2 years now :twisted: . I don't think you can even get anything from them on 'hard media' anymore. :cry:

Amnesty on 'hard media' license violations FTW! </perfectWorld>

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu May 11, 2017 4:11 pm

As for selling commercial software I have no idea, but if we're interested in more secure/anonymous/decentralized/accountability-shrugging ways to send pirated software, Freenet would likely work well. We would have to make the USK for it known among ourselves without placing responsibility on Neko though, which means that it's probably best to just email it around.

Newsgroups technically still exist as well. We could go back to comp.sys.sgi!
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Toxiccameron

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Sat May 13, 2017 5:00 pm

vishnu wrote:What's particularly irksome is that if you call any of these commercial software vendors and ask to buy their IRIX versions they will not sell them to you! Autodesk made a huge mistake when they discontinued the Maya personal learning edition, their 30 day free trial is useless, unless you spend 8 hours a day for that 30 day period you will barely have climbed the learning curve at all. You'd think they'd let people trade 10 year old versions of their software, which they will not sell you no matter how many frogskins you wave in their faces, the big benefit to them would be that people will like the software and want to buy the latest version... :roll:

I did email and ask Autodesk if they have older versions of Maya available for sgi computers and they just said that they don't have it because it's so old.
:Indigo2IMP:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun May 14, 2017 12:48 pm

It's at times like this that you enter the dodgy area of abandonware. Maya isn't abandonware because it's still available for sale. Would it be morally wrong to acquire an SGI copy for free despite them refusing to sell one to you? Probably. Would it be morally wrong though to buy a license for PC and then acquire an SGI copy from somewhere? Probably not, but you can still understand why Neko doesn't like such discussion here.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Toxiccameron wrote:I did email and ask Autodesk if they have older versions of Maya available for sgi computers and they just said that they don't have it because it's so old.

The same happens with Wolfram Mathematica. SGI-Irix is NoGo.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am

Also there's the issue of those stupid dongles. I have some old versions of Discreet systems software(came from old Octane2 HD) that are unusable because the dongle isn't present.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “IRIX and Software”