Creating irix installation disks on windows

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 pm

I have done tons of searching and tried many different methods, but I can't seem to great a working install disk for my indigo 2. What do I need to do? I can dual boot to a Linux os if needed but nothing has worked. The only message I get from the indigo is about the media not being loaded even though it is In the drive.
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4881
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Wijchen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:36 am

Let's say you start with a good, bootable disc image like IRIX 6.5 Installation Tools June 1998.

The trick to burn such an image on a Windows PC with e.g. Nero is to rename the downloaded file from *.img to *.iso. This make Nero treat it as a disc image and burn it 1:1.

The downloaded file in NOT an ISO but that's irrelevant. It only means your Windows PC cannot make any sense of what you burn. Last, but this probably doesn't apply to an Indigo2: some of the oldest CDROM drives predate burnable CDs and have trouble handling them.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:26 pm

jan-jaap wrote:Let's say you start with a good, bootable disc image like IRIX 6.5 Installation Tools June 1998.

The trick to burn such an image on a Windows PC with e.g. Nero is to rename the downloaded file from *.img to *.iso. This make Nero treat it as a disc image and burn it 1:1.

The downloaded file in NOT an ISO but that's irrelevant. It only means your Windows PC cannot make any sense of what you burn. Last, but this probably doesn't apply to an Indigo2: some of the oldest CDROM drives predate burnable CDs and have trouble handling them.


So since I don't have a full version of Nero I tried burning using isorecorder and it burnt fine, but it is still not recognized in the same way that it was in other tests. I have a Toshiba xm-5401b CD Rom if it helps. Is Nero required to burn things correctly?
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby uunix » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I know this may not help your original issue, but I turned my back on CD installs a few years ago and setup network install repositories on most of my SGI machines. If you do it right, create a directory with all the relevant files in a single dist, then installs take 20 mins or so.

As for burning disks, I only ever managed this on a mac using MacX DVD Ripper. Interestingly a few years back I searched this forum for how to do it and found a post I had made many years earlier with the required settings.

But no Windows I'm afraid.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

uunix wrote:I know this may not help your original issue, but I turned my back on CD installs a few years ago and setup network install repositories on most of my SGI machines. If you do it right, create a directory with all the relevant files in a single dist, then installs take 20 mins or so.

As for burning disks, I only ever managed this on a mac using MacX DVD Ripper. Interestingly a few years back I searched this forum for how to do it and found a post I had made many years earlier with the required settings.

But no Windows I'm afraid.


So im trying to use a network install, but i cant get irix files I need for the install because i cant unpakage the irix .img files. Does anyone have a link to an unpakaged version or instructions on how to do it?
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: near King George, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.

Do you have a example of a distro that supports that? I messed with Ubuntu for awhile with no luck.
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4881
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Wijchen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri May 05, 2017 12:24 am

Toxiccameron wrote:
Raion-Fox wrote:If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.

Do you have a example of a distro that supports that? I messed with Ubuntu for awhile with no luck.

Debian 'stable' here:

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/debian_version
8.7

# ls -l 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 525074432 Nov 15  1994 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs

# mount -o loop,ro -t efs 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs /cdimage

# ls -l /cdimage
total 15
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  418 Nov 15  1994 CDgrelnotes
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3658 Nov 15  1994 CDrelnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 4096 Nov 15  1994 dist
drwxrwxrwx  5 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 firmware
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 1536 Nov 15  1994 help
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 insight
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 2365 Nov 15  1994 RELEASE.info
drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 1024 Nov 15  1994 relnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 stand

# umount /cdimage

For historical reasons I chose to name my disk images *.efs. The ones from archive.org are *.img. All irrelevant as long as it's a straight 'dd' stye copy of the entire disc.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 am

jan-jaap wrote:
Toxiccameron wrote:
Raion-Fox wrote:If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.

Do you have a example of a distro that supports that? I messed with Ubuntu for awhile with no luck.

Debian 'stable' here:

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/debian_version
8.7

# ls -l 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 525074432 Nov 15  1994 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs

# mount -o loop,ro -t efs 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs /cdimage

# ls -l /cdimage
total 15
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  418 Nov 15  1994 CDgrelnotes
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3658 Nov 15  1994 CDrelnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 4096 Nov 15  1994 dist
drwxrwxrwx  5 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 firmware
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 1536 Nov 15  1994 help
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 insight
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 2365 Nov 15  1994 RELEASE.info
drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 1024 Nov 15  1994 relnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 stand

# umount /cdimage

For historical reasons I chose to name my disk images *.efs. The ones from archive.org are *.img. All irrelevant as long as it's a straight 'dd' stye copy of the entire disc.

Well using Linux I did get a disk to burn but it still isn't being read correctly by the indigo 2. I cant use DINA because the Ethernet on the motherboard is dead. I can mount the images on Linux with these instructions, but when I burn i, even on a fresh disk, It doesn't work. Is there a known working tool for burning irix images?
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby uunix » Sun May 14, 2017 10:35 am

Toxiccameron wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:
Toxiccameron wrote:
Raion-Fox wrote:If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.

Do you have a example of a distro that supports that? I messed with Ubuntu for awhile with no luck.

Debian 'stable' here:

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/debian_version
8.7

# ls -l 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 525074432 Nov 15  1994 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs

# mount -o loop,ro -t efs 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs /cdimage

# ls -l /cdimage
total 15
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  418 Nov 15  1994 CDgrelnotes
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3658 Nov 15  1994 CDrelnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 4096 Nov 15  1994 dist
drwxrwxrwx  5 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 firmware
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 1536 Nov 15  1994 help
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 insight
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 2365 Nov 15  1994 RELEASE.info
drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 1024 Nov 15  1994 relnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 stand

# umount /cdimage

For historical reasons I chose to name my disk images *.efs. The ones from archive.org are *.img. All irrelevant as long as it's a straight 'dd' stye copy of the entire disc.

Well using Linux I did get a disk to burn but it still isn't being read correctly by the indigo 2. I cant use DINA because the Ethernet on the motherboard is dead. I can mount the images on Linux with these instructions, but when I burn i, even on a fresh disk, It doesn't work. Is there a known working tool for burning irix images?




OK, depending on the country you are in, (I'm in the UK) Send me a disk and I will do an install on one of my o2's? Or Someone in the US may pick up on this idea?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Toxiccameron
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am

uunix wrote:
Toxiccameron wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:
Toxiccameron wrote:
Raion-Fox wrote:If you have Linux with EFS support, you should be able to mount the images.

Do you have a example of a distro that supports that? I messed with Ubuntu for awhile with no luck.

Debian 'stable' here:

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/debian_version
8.7

# ls -l 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 525074432 Nov 15  1994 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs

# mount -o loop,ro -t efs 812-0119-006_IRIX_5.3.efs /cdimage

# ls -l /cdimage
total 15
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  418 Nov 15  1994 CDgrelnotes
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3658 Nov 15  1994 CDrelnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 4096 Nov 15  1994 dist
drwxrwxrwx  5 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 firmware
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 1536 Nov 15  1994 help
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 insight
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 2365 Nov 15  1994 RELEASE.info
drwxrwxrwx 45 root root 1024 Nov 15  1994 relnotes
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  512 Nov 15  1994 stand

# umount /cdimage

For historical reasons I chose to name my disk images *.efs. The ones from archive.org are *.img. All irrelevant as long as it's a straight 'dd' stye copy of the entire disc.

Well using Linux I did get a disk to burn but it still isn't being read correctly by the indigo 2. I cant use DINA because the Ethernet on the motherboard is dead. I can mount the images on Linux with these instructions, but when I burn i, even on a fresh disk, It doesn't work. Is there a known working tool for burning irix images?




OK, depending on the country you are in, (I'm in the UK) Send me a disk and I will do an install on one of my o2's? Or Someone in the US may pick up on this idea?

I live in the US atm. I do know that I have a couple of Macs around for burning things and apparently those are the only ones you know work for creating sgi disks. What software and settings did you use?
:Indigo2IMP:

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Creating irix installation disks on windows

Unread postby uunix » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 am

I'm not going to mention my strange spellings in this post from 2011.

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16724941&start=15#p7337716
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


Return to “IRIX and Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests